• Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Networking XP Pro and 95 question...I'm stumped

So I have a laptop that has win95.

Client for Microsoft Networks is installed
    Windows Family Logon is installed
    The nic on the latop is configured to 192.168.0.5
    The laptop is configured to login as Client for MS Network not the Family logon one.

The main computer has XP Pro
    2 nics are configured...one for internet and
    one for my workgroup connection.

The modem is ADSL PPPoE and is configured to pickup an IP from the ISP

The Internet nic is configured 192.168.0.1
    The local intranet connector is configured with 192.168.0.10

The Workgroup name is workgroup (keeping it simple)

Both computers have unique computer names

File and printer sharing are installed in both

Firewall is turned off while trying to set this up

They are connected by a crossover cable

I turned on NetBios over TCP/IP on XP. That allowed the maincomputer's name to show up on the network neighborhood on the laptop. I tried sharing a folder on the XP machine. No dice not accessible or viewable for that matter. I tired sharing a folder on the 95 laptop... couldn't see it in XP. Nuthin.

In XP the laptop does not show up in the workgroup at all. No resources show up in the workgroup (when you try to view anything you get this not accessible message).

So then I pull out ipconfig. Yup all resouces are configured with the right ip's... check.

same with the laptop using winipcfg.

Tried pinging the laptop from XP....nuthin!
    Tired pinging the pc(XP) from the laptop (95)...nuthin!

I know the nics are okay....so something must be up with a configuration in XP...be it a setting...password or lack there of.

MS took something that was very easy and somehow made it complicated....then again I'm not fully up on networking with anything past NT4 and I'm still learning XP Pro so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something setting wise in XP Pro and unlikely it's anything with the 95 client.

Any Help would be great cuz I'm running out of ideas
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Turns out I got most of this sorted out. The firewall that I thought I turned off wasn't :cry: ....so most things are fixed. The only funny thing is tht I can now view and access the shares properly from the 95 client but If I try to access 95's shares from XP I can't seem to get them to view "not accessible"...which is not a big deal since I only wanted ICS and sharing from XP anyway.

Here's another question...is there any reason to not use ICS (which sets up a gateway)and use proxy software instead????? just curious if there there were pros and/or cons to either setup. :?:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Gordon try reading the help documentation on the http://www.practicallynetworked.com site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Had any luck on this issue?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

I agree that Microsoft tried to make networking "easy" with its wizards and hiding almost all the parameters used to set things up and instead made it a time consuming, hair pulling needle-in-a-haystack exercise. I've been through this a few times now with WIN XP and earlier Windows versions, and despite the production of a wizaard disc to carry over to the other machine, their "automated" procedure doesn't guarantee successful two-way communication.

If all else fails, try installing NETBEUI on both machines -- even though Microsoft and a number of "experts" insist it isn''t needed for "successful" WIN XP / WIN 95 peer-to-peer networking. After literally a full week of trying many various combinations of tweaks and setting recommended by Microsoft and posters on various computer user forums, I succumbed to the temptation of using NETBEUI and everything worked as it was supposed to. At that point I didn't care if it is supposedly obsolete and inelegant -- if it works, and saves a lot of time, why not use it? :>)

Good luck !

Burke

PS -- although NETBEUI is officially "unsupported" and not one of the "automatic" choices in network setup, it is still included on the WIN XP installation discs.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

Andrew...Thanks for the link...I had resolved most of my issues.
            Burke...goog suggestion...I had half considered using NetBeui when things were looking grim...but I think things are going to be okay.

Thanks guys...Everything worked out.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"