X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew's HTPC thread

Ok since I'm semi serious about doing this I thought I'd start another thread on it.

Basically I figure I have two choice one is to use the ITX Via M9000 motherboard and build something based on that or (more likely) go with the miniATX cases and go from there. In that light looking on the MLHSystems site I've complied a list of potential parts that I'd need. So what are your thoughts on these?

Radeon 7000 64MB PCI $109.95
    Aopen H340D MicroATX Case 180W P4 Black $89.95
    Liteon LTD163 $67.95
    Duron 1100 Mhz Socket A 200 Mhz FSB $58.95
    A7N266-VM-AA Socket A Nforce $122.95

I have an athlon 1.33 GHz in my main PC that I could swap with the duron to give the HTPC more power if need be since I really wouldn't notice the lower speed on my main system.

I figure I'd then add in 128 or 256 megs or RAM, a used 1 gig hard drive I have spare (for now) and a mouse and keyboard. The only thing missing from the above would be the sound card. The Asus claims to have onboard 5.1 with the nforce chip would that work or would I also need a true 5.1 card. In which case would the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 work or do I need an Audigy? I would like to do DVD-A on this machine if possible if that makes a difference (likely since I'd be using its DAC's right?)

• Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Hmmm, interesting choices and will fit the bill methinks.

If you got NForce or Nforce2 for that matter I don't see the point in getting an external card. Audigy2 supports DVD-A but you won't find a DVD-A capable DVD-Rom drive yet to extract the tracks so you would still require an external DVD-A player. Plus Audigy2 will not pass DVD-A through the SPDIF. DVD-A looks good on the spec sheet and adds dollars to the card but it really doesn't do much with DVD-A IMHO.

Don't forget cooling. Put a big-ass copper heatsink and an 80mm stealth fan on there and you won't hear a thing. Or you could go with the Zalman flower and forget the fan...compusmart is carrying Zalman now http://www.CompuSmart.ca...where Mind computers used to be/kinda still is.

Don't forget you need to power this thing. Enermax or Antec will fit the bill nicely. Zalman makes quiet power supplies as well.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Gordon doesn't that AOpen case come with a power supply?

I thought I read somewhere someone (Max Yokell I think) doing DVD-A from the HTPC...could be wrong though

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Yup you're right on the A-Open case,missed that in the spec.

With regards on the Audigy2...right again...forget what I said about the DVD-Rom...got my wires crossed somewhere. For DVD-A you would be stuck with the creative supplied player.

The only thing that you may want to think about is that nforce2 boards will give you more flexibility for upgrades. Firewire, usb2, dolby digital standard...DDR333 or DDR400 support. Barton support etc...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well it looks like the HTPC will have to wait for another day. The main reason I was looking at the HTPC was that i wasn't sure which PJ I was going with and if I went with CRT then the scaling would be very nice. As it turns out it looks like I'll be getting a older LCD PJ what won't require the scaling abilities so I've opted to go for the simple road and just ordred a Denon 1600.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

Dude...you change equipment like I change shirts

Progressive, DVD-A, Burr-Brown DACs...yah that'll do...

for now...

You'll be back ... one day

Especially when you want PVR, inexpensive yet HQ scalability, MP3 jukebox, internet surfing, and gaming all rolled into one.

So you must be close to closing in on a projector I guess...congrats! Where did you get a line on it, used, new?...or are you getting one of those futureshop 800X600 jobbies?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well the PJ I'm very likely getting is the Sharp 55U which is an old LCD model. It wont' cost me anything other then labor and a flight down to the states for a weekend so its a good deal for me to get into front projection on the cheap.

Sharp 55 details

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

You're right, this projector only does 640X480 in 4:3 mode, so an HTPC isn't a worthwhile investment for this unit, with the qualification that the internal de-interlacing is decent. It does have RGB, S-Video, and component inputs, but RGB is limited to 640X480- windows XP won't normally even run at that low a resolution without some special "hacks" (800X600 is normally the "bottom end".) But it will get you started with FPTV.

You may want to find a copy of AVIA and see if you can tweak up the color fidelity a bit- this is one of the shortcomings of many LCD units out of the box, but can usually be improved.

Good luck and happy viewing!

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Jon I do have Avia so I'll be trying to tweak out what I can from this PJ. I know its pretty low end and if I wasn't getting it on trade I'd likely have looked at a used CRT instead but you have to start some where right I guess I need to paint my screen grey now to help those black levels.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"