X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

nForce to be delayed further?

The Inquirer (no, not *that* Inquirer!) reports a major motherboard manufacturer has told it that problems with sound drivers and other development issues will delay the introduction of nForce based motherboards up to two additional months.

A lot of AMD fans will be disappointed to hear this, as this chipset should offer a lot of performance integrated into the base motherboard cihpset, including Geforce MX class graphics and a new high performance sound system. Well, you know, stuff happens, and I guess nVidia isn't immune to that either.

I was sort of planning on this being available shortly for a low cost moderately high performance new system for my daughter, but now it sounds like I'll spring for another KT266 based system, like the gaming PC I built a few months ago.

Anyone else waiting for the nForce with baited breath?

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I too was waiting for it to build a new high end system John. I may have to bite on to an alternate system for the time being or wait it out

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I kind of think nForce is going to be aimed at two markets: OEM's and high-end gamers. I could be totally off base but I think the retail versions will be expensive as mobos go ($200).

nVidia could charge a premium for the integrated sound feature alone. On paper it can do some very impressive things -saving the user a $100+ sound card purchase.

Of course, I expect the OEM's to go nuts for the integrated GF2 level video and the lower-end version of the integrated sound (though still very impressive). That unit might be inexpensive.

There's still the SIS 735 chipset. Early reports of 735 refrence boards show this to be even faster than AMD's 760 boards. There's only one available right now (by some mobo company I've never heard of) and it's only $65.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

I agree Silli, the SIS 735 looks promising, I would like to see this supported by the mainstream MB makers to see how it fairs in the long term. The current crop of 735 boards don't seem to allow FSB OC'ing, yet. This negates it from my list at this point.

The Single chip design seems like a intellegent progression.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Anyone else waiting for the nForce with baited breath?
          Jon,,Just curious as to what you bait your breath with?

Would you guys still recommend me sticking to the ABIT KG7 which should be out soon or should I wait for the Nvidia. I have been collecting compnents peice by peice but will most likely get serious about building the system in October.
          Thoughts?

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Well Trev, you just asked the age old question that only you can anwser.....

Should I stay or should I go?

Sure you can wait, but the chances are you will be waiting for ever if your reasons are to have the best/fastest. Waiting is never a bad thing, except you miss all the great computing along the way.

Sure the Nforce is reputed to be a killer chipset, but thats all on paper at this point. The Abit KG7 is available and proven (sort of) and will require very little ironing out.

From your perspective, I would get the KG7 just to get up to speed. From my persepctive, the performance gain is not enough to warrant a KG7, thus Nforce should be my next jump.

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Bing,,I did buy the KG7 last night while surfing around.
              First time I found it available so I jumped all over the opportunity.

Trevor
              My HomeTheater S.E.
              Sonically Enhanced
              C5
              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Good job, where did you buy it from?

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

Cool! Which KG7 version did you end up with? Can I ask what you paid?

We expect a full review ASAP!

I very well may follow your lead. It looks like my Gigabyte GA-7VTX (KT266 chipset) really has died. I got it running perfectly yesterday but today it won't even POST. Everything has good power but nothing happens. I've narrowed it down to the mobo or the CPU...and I have no evidence that the CPU is the bad component. (that said, I NEVER rule out the idiot user )

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Sili, you may want to try unplugging all your PCI card devices, and see if it will post. As well be sure to unplug the USB's.

My KT7-A will not post if the drivers are not installed properly and the USB devices are pluged in.

Try clearing your CMOS as some times that will foul a post/boot.

Maybe check your power supply as well.

Good Luck!

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

Thanks Bing...but I tried all of that. I even tried running the mobo outside of the case on the off chance that I was getting some odd type of short. How's that for going all the way?

It could be my CPU but I wan't overclocked so I don't know how I could have fried it. Can't test it as I don't have another Athlon system laying around. It's gotta be the mobo though.

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Is the CPU fan plugged in? Some Bios's will not allow the PC to boot is the CPU fan is not plugged in.

Does the Gigabyte have some sort of failsafe boot like the Abit's? Sometimes when I'm adjusting the timing clocks, and I set the system too aggressively, the PC will not boot unless I power off the main switch (at the back), turn it back to the powered posistion, hold down "Insert" on my key board and then press the front power button.

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"