X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

HELP: P/S or Volt Reg??

My buddy is buying my old board but I'm a little leery because yesterday it starting acting bizarre. The fans started winding up and down so I turned on Motherboard Monitor (Hey I should put that on the freeware list) and noticed that the +12V was down to 11.1 then 11.5 then 10.2????? and then the graphics card hiccuped and all I saw was garbage so I quickly shut down. If I had to guess I'd say it's the power supply since it's a Deer 300W el'cheapo that came with the case.

But, could it be a faulty voltage regulator on the board? When the 12V was going screwy the vcore dropped alittle. +3 and +5 were fine just the +12 went all to hell.

I waited and turned everything back on and it seemed okay but a few minutes later same problem.

To me the more likely culprit is the p/s and I guess until I throw a new one in there and run it for a day or two I won't know for sure.

The board's a year old and made by DFI ,which, in the system integrator world is fairly reliable (nothing special, but very reliable).

Hmmmmmmmmmmm? Anyone been here before?
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

AFAIK the power supply generates 5 volts and 12 volts for the motherboard. MBs don't usually have their own regulators unless they're for other voltages such as the 3V or 2.2V for the processor or what have you. If the PS outputs the wrong voltage it will likely mess up the other voltage levels on the board and cause things to stop working properly.

The power supply is the first thing I would check/swap out. Most of the voltage regulation is happening in there.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

Sounds good to me...I was eyeing up the Antec True Power 380 any ways and I needed some justification. Talk about timing
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yeah it does sound like the PS is acting up. I think my PS is a Deer as well but the one i picked up was on the recomneded AMD list so hopefully it will last a little longer then yours 8O

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"