X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

OT: Web design and hosting

I'd like to try and get a proper website together. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) WYSWYG web publishing program? The only tricky thing I might want to do is embed video.

Also, a cgood host. I'm thinking iPower or HostSave at the monet.

Thanks

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I use DreamWeaver MX to do my webs developement in now having switched over from Front Page XP. Front Page is very easy to use and the XP version generates much better code then the earlier versions did but Dream Weaver is still one of the most recomend tools to use. The problem with DW though is that its not cheap.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

The problem with DW though is that its not cheap.
      That's never stopped Steve before. :LOL:

Myself, I use native HTML with Homesite HTML editor. Old school.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Doug the nice thing about both Front page and DW is that you can easily toggle between raw HTML and the design views. If you're doing anything with java DW's nice in that it has the line numbers there for quick reference to the bad line of code...nice feature when you've got a ton of code and it says there's a problem with line 567 I used to use notepad as well but it was quickly replaced when I got DW...though I still edit in notepad all the time since its quick.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I use Namo Webeditor 4 (there's a version 5 out now). The WYSIWYG editor works pretty well, though most of the themes that it comes with are cheesy.

It's a lot cheaper than Dreamweaver too.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• sfdoddsy
            • Sep 2000

Lex,

I'm very cheap

Nothing but used, building my own speakers. I'm just indecisive so I get lots of everything.

Anyway, I bought WebEasy to design the site and it is indeed nice and easy. I'll probably try Doteasy for hosting as they are free if you get a domain name, although I am tempted by a proper host like Lunarpages.

The trouble is deciding when to stop. I'm up to 20 pages already and still haven't covered all my various obsesions.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
            Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"