X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meb46
    • Jul 2010

Instrument 2

Has anyone on the forum come across a design called "Instrument 2"? This seems like a relatively new design in the DIY space and I cant seem to find any information on them. I have a set of plans but absolutely no great detail on performance or crossover details.

Anyone out there know anything about these???

https://web.archive.org/web/20110901214833/http://www.home-speaker.net/speaker-box-design.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-4view-shot-front.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	943973
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:59 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location and link
  • meb46
    • Jul 2010

More info

The truth is; unless you are willing to spend $10,000 for a set of stereo speakers, the box probably wasn't designed or built well.

Name:	front-view-as-seen-behind-front-baffle-layers.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	943974
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:01 Tuesday. Reason: Update link and image location

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Wow that looks like a headache to build.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Never heard of it. Seems like a nice guy and all. I don't see much that would vouch for his skills. Some of the stuff looks like overkill and other plain voodoo. To me, the website looks like a jumbled mess with lots of PE and Amazon banner adds. Lots of websites are out there these days designed for nothing more than to get Google hits and generate ad revenue. Kudos for the guy actually having a page that explains how he makes money off the site, but ...

I would stick to designs from known designers and/or have been publicly demoed. My opinion is that there are too many good options out there already that would justify having to try something unknown out there. Maybe if I had already built a little of everything... But... it is always fun to try something new.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• meb46
          • Jul 2010

Thanks for the feedback guys... I was just in the search for my next speaker build... not that I have completed my current one yet

I had a huge success using a CNC router on my last build and I am now convinced it is by far the best way/most accurate to carve up MDF into Speakers... so much in fact I think I might invest in a CNC Router myself. The accuracy and freedom with any shape opens so many new doors. There is a large number of 600mm x 900mm CNC Routers available ex-China that would do the trick nicely and at a"reasonable" price. I had a demo of one a few days back which lead to quotes and all the serious thinking coulped with spending that sort of money

Given that, I am keen to explore any designs that would be CNC intensive, something to cut my CNC Machining teeth on. I have been wanting to build something with a matrix style internal similar to some of the B&W's... complex inter linking matrix for cabinet strength and bracing. Any one know of any design like this... or will I need to start experimenting? Exciting times ahead...

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Yeah, home CNC machines are very much a reality these days. Several guys have them. A guy on my BBQ forum has one. He has YouTube videos of it and such. I can't find his YouTube, but here is his website http://www.amlwoodart.com/My-Woodshop.html

I think CNC is a great tool. But, I think I'm going to stick to my saws for now. Just can't justify... and if I CNCed everything, what would I do all day in the garage?

You can incorporate a lot of those type of things into most speaker projects. Just keep the baffle the same and you can have fun with what is behind and inside.

These weren't built using a CNC, but I could see them challenging your CNC skills, if that is what you're looking for.

Name:	IMG_1937.webp
Views:	18
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	943975
            Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:02 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bear
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
              These weren't built using a CNC, but I could see them challanging your CNC skills, if that is what you're looking for.
              They did build that with a RadarCarve, which is as expensive as a few DIY-oriented CNC machines with a comparable footprint...
              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"