• Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

I gots new gear

So now I stepped up a little:

1: AMD 1800+ XP Thoroughbred
    2: thermalright SK-7 heatsink http://www.thermalright.com/sk7.html + 70mm TMD fan
    3: MSI KT3 Ultra2 http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...MODEL=MS-6380E
    4: 256 PC-2100 DDR (no sense getting pc2700 just yet)
    5: Seagate Barracuda IV 40 GB http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,384,00.html

Not bad for me considering I had a duron 800 before and a crumby maxtor 7.5 GB

Upgrading is fun. I just wish there wasn't budgetary constraints otherwise it would have been a soyo board, PC2700, AMD XP 3000 and a Seagate serial ATA drive :twisted:

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

One more thing...Man that heatsink is heavy and HUGE!!!!!

now I just need to find an hours to throw it all together

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

Gordon - sounds like a fun project. I've been wanting to build a new pc. Keep us updated and post pics.

Eduardo

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Nice Gordon!

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Sounds like fun, Gordon. I sympathize with the hours thing- I've got a new nforce based board and re-cycled AMD CPU and new video card to build into a from the chasis up upgrade of my main HTPC- haven't had time to touch it since XMAS. Maybe later this week.... the parts are pretty light, shouldn't present any problem.

It's pretty awesome how meaty the latest fan/heatsink combos are. The last couple I picked up also used a copper heatspreader. That's probably pretty standard these days on Athlons.

With my new build desktop (built from my old bedroom HTPC chasis), with an ASUS A7V8X MB, it would accept and work wtih PC2700, but only one DIMM can be used at that memory speed. It does provide a few ticks up in performance on some benchmarks, but the Athlon's don't seem to be nearly as dependent on external memory bandwidth as P4 except on a few apps like video MPEG encoding. Good question as to whether one would be better off using more DIMMS, or the fast memory. But a single 512MB PC2700 DIMM wasn't that bad, pricewise.

Let us know how you like your system after you've got it together- what are you planning for sound and video?

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

For sound and video I'm recycling my old parts.

Asus GeForce2 GTS Deluxe VIVO and Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1

When cash becomes available (later, like, after I pay the tax-man) I would probably upgrade the vid card but my game play is really limited these days except for the Need for Speed series (I'm a sucker for a good race game and the odd Unreal shoot-em up). The VIVO features of the card come in handy since I don't have a digital camcorder. I just pump my video into there and make the home stuff available for family and friends that way.

Eventually I'll get around to digitizing my home movies to VCD or DVD but the DVD-R/RW needs to come down a little more before I jump in. And by that time I'll have a digital camcorder so the 2 will work out well. I just wish the road map to that point wasn't so long

Ahhhh, such is life

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The video card is such a tradeoff.

I don't have the time for much gaming, but the few I like are kind of graphics intensive (stuff like NeverWinter Nights, Jedi Knight, Unreal II)

Then there's the DVD issue. Unfortunately, nVidia doesn't make an "optimum" card for both. I got one GF4 Ti4200 (runs most games well at 1280X1024), which really seemed to be the sweet spot for bang for the buck for gaming; but the MX440 is the best platform for DVD, as it has much more hardware support for DVD.

Have you used the Fortissimo before, or is this a new purchase? I have an Game theater in my audio test/back up HTPC, which works OK, but so far I've been most impressed with the nForce solutions- good performance and sound, and very low CPU utilization on multiple voice games. Plus DD encoding of all audio is available.

Let us know how it turns out!

-Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

Yup the Fortissimo comes from my old machine. Not bad for bang for the buck. Nforce was an interesting option with DD on the fly a-la-xbox but price-wise was out of my budget because I would have had to compromise other things. I just got this audio card and it seems to fit the bill so I'm not too ready to sell it. My pc's not used as a hometheater hub (one day...one day... I'll do it right Mu-waahahahaha :twisted: and it WILL be front projection all the way)

So the audio card wasn't mission critical otherwise I'd be looking more towards the REVO 7.1

The Fortissimo is bascially Gametheater lite. Love their driver set and I just wanted to break away from Creative, however, I'll give credit where credit is due... Audigy2 is the best offering from Creative to date IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"