• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Alright Men...I need to quiet her down

No, no, not the wife :twisted:

I think my biggest culprit of noise right now is the little CPU cooler I have. Now I don't generate a lot of heat and it's only a Duron 800 (I'm so behind ....ah bills, mortgage etc...) but it's driving me mad.

So right now I'm looking at the volcano 9 with smart fan 2 (has 3 options: 1...full speed ahead! 2. variable through software and hardware sensing (not my favorite option becuase I suspect the fan will be annoying winding up and winding down. 3. Includes a lead with a little poteniometer to adjust fan speed down to 1300 RPM. http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm

I guess another option is to get a decent heatsink like:
    http://www.thermalright.com/slk800.html or the AX7 and a 80mm fan like the Panaflow (If I can even find that locally?????? Just where do you find those Panaflow thing-a-ma-jiggies anyways?

What are other people doing? Let me know...course I play games but the majority of what I do is non-taxing but occasionally I like Need for Speed like the next guy.

Any suggestions?

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Try running Asus dual Athlon CPUs and check the fan noise. 8O Sometimes, I can hear it in bed in the next room at night, lol.

I've got some coolers I like with fans, but haven't changed out my dual yet. Maybe someday. I bought 2 extras and put them back.

They are AOC EC-CUD-715, but for Athlon. I'd say they make an Intel version too, likely...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

I imagine dualies would be pretty noisy but ah, the power 8)

My problem is that the box is no further than a foot from my ear. I have it up on the desk to keep it away from, ahem, little fingers. (They always seem to find the power switch right at that critical moment...like just before I've saved an hours worht of work)

So I may be a little overly sensitive, but it has come to my attention that it's too loud and needs some TLC.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

I'd suggest the AX-7 route. It's a very good heat sink and doesn't require much of a fan. Panaflows are great considering their low noise but can be difficult to find.

Here's a link I've purchased Panaflows from in the past:

inflowdirect.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, inflowdirect.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Thanks Sili

I'm a big proponent of buy local when I can...exchange rates are ridiculous...course that shouldn't matter with our vast CDN salaries :LOL: by the time it ships it was more than 2X as much as it was worth....so I can get the AX7 locally and a VANTEC Stealth 80mm 27cfm 21dBa fan and if I want I can wind it down with this: cheap solution: http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...ies/switch.htm

not so cheap:http://www.vantecusa.com/nxp201.html

or 8) http://www.vantecusa.com/nxp101.html

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Gordon have you ever tried to order PC parts from http://www.ncix.ca I have got a few items from them and since you only pay one tax (their in BC) it usually equals shipping so its not an issue. Their prices can be A LOT lower then local prices (even Comp. Avenue) and will ship to your work place so you don't even have to drive anywhere to pick up the parts

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Gordon that Volcano 9 will probably be your lowest cost bet if your using a Duron that is not Overclocked. The adjustable speed control will allow you to taylor and balance the CPU temp with level of noise.

The SLK800 is one of the highest performing Heat sinks available, coupled with a very slow 80mm Panaflo or Vantek Stealth fan you would be very silent. This is probably the way I would go, however it may be the most expensive route. About $90 with fan, but you are getting better cooling with quieter performance.

The Fan bus is a good Idea, however you are not really adding better cooling to the CPU, rather you are throttling it, so while it may make things quieter, it will also make things hotter unless you add a the SLK and a faster fan to need the fanbus. The combination of the of the Bus wiith the SLK would be killer, however not required.

Here is a source for Panaflos, and HeatSinks

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

Well gee thanks guys...Actually some things may change as I have a friend who's in the market for a new pc and I'm always in the market for an upgrade so some things may change...I'll let you know how it pans out.

Andrew and Bing thanks for the heads up on those sites I'll will definately be giving them more attention while I plot this out.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Hey Andrew as an aside I'm not sure if you've checked out mlhsystems in Winnipeg but they have really nice prices as well and they're into pimping out systems for those won't aren't technically capable:

mlhsystems

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

I ordered a Video card from MLH systems last summer, Micheal was a pleasant guy to deal with.

For what seems like a small outfit, they sure do carry a lot of brand names. I think they just have lots of warehouses at their command. When I orderd my card (Asus Ti 4600) they stated it was in stock, however it came from Ontario

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"