X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Windows98 less fat more filling

For those who are still chugging along with Windows98...I came across this interesting utility the other day. Microsoft would have us and the DOJ believe that internet explorer is so inter-woven that it could never be removed. Well apparently it can, manually (caveat is that you still have win95 lying around) or using a utility called litePC. Apparently you get an OS that could fit on a zip disk and runs up to 5% faster with changing or tweaking any other hardware or software. Maybe if Microsoft wasn't so hellbent on capitalizing the browser market and concentrated on a solid OS they would have a better rep.

To comply with their agreement XP and Win2k simply hide the icons....it never really goes away....too bad because eveyone would get a performance boost...and XP is apparantly to pretty fast and stable to begin with....although bloated.

I've never tried it personally...although I'm very tempted to give it a go on an old laptop that I have...and I'll let you know the results...course my brother-in-law has the laptop in Saskatoon and I get it back sometime in Feb so it may be a while but I'll let you know cause it's fun to play around ('course my wife would rather have me painting walls or fixing the hottub but, dammit, this is computer-related techno-geeky stuff that has to be tried!)

Here's the links:

and

98lite Professional is a utility to customize windows 98 and windows Me. 98lite can remove internet explorer and many other windows features by adding them to the add/remove dialog.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • John LaCava
    • Sep 2002

I use windows 2000. 2000 is way more stable than XP pro, and has wider compatibility. Though XP lpro oads slightly faster. Only use XP pro if your going XP.

Cheers,
    J

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"