Secure Digital Memory vs MMC/Smartmedia?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Secure Digital Memory vs MMC/Smartmedia?

Can I use regular MMC memory cards in a device that takes Secure Digital memory?

I know the specs say that SD has faster throughput and has an external switch to protect data. I don't know if the interface is the same.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Usually "Secure" memory is required in devices such as MP3 players where you can download music into them. I think the only difference between "Secure" memory and the regular stuff is a flag to tell the device that the memory is "secure" plus the record companies get a kickback on sales. Much like the difference between "Audio" CD-Rs and Data CD-Rs.

I know Sony makes two versions of Memory Sticks, a "secure" version for their MP3 players, and a cheaper, "non-secure" version, which can be used in computers and digital cameras, but not the MP3 players.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Paul, what components are you wanting to use here? I't may also depend on the component.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I want to use the memory for this unit:

From what I can make out this unit will accept a 128M SD memory chip. I'd like to use the cheaper 128M MMC memory chip. I don't know if the unit will support plain MMC.

One thing I know for sure is that it will not record off a DVD with macrovision.

I'll be doing a bigger write sometime later on the unit.

But essentitially this is a portabel video/audio recorder/playback device. Records video at a best 15fps, and audio at 96bps. Comes stock with 64M ram, with an expandable 128M SD slot. So that's where I'm wondering if I can use the cheaper MMC memory.
        Paul

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

In case anyone cares. MMC and Smartmedia are two different types of memory. Smartmedia is physically about twice the size of a MMC chip. So those two memory devices are non compatible.

SD and MMC are physically the same size, but techology wise the SD is more advanced. First there is actually a switch on the side of the memory chip that will lock it, basically like a write protect on old floppy disks. Second, the throughput is faster with a SD chip, provided your device supports this feature. Otherwise, I believe you can use both types in any supported SD/MMC device.

I'm going for a SD 128M chip, as my video device supports that, and I would imagine I would need the throughput.

SD chips are usually more expensive, in Canada they tend to almost be twice the price for 128M size. Apparently this is currently the largest size available, meaning new and costly.

Paul

Paul

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"