X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

King size scare!

Man, I about freaked tonight. I was going to go to my secondary drive for something, and damn, it wasn't there! I rebooted like 3 times, even checked cmos, and it didn't show my secondary drive at all!!! I had resigned myself to the fact I had lost everything important including pictures of my daughter.

I even tried putting it on a different IDE, checking power, everything, and nothing... until- I hard powered it off with the rocker on the back. When I powered it back on, last ditch effort, I checked cmos, and boom, both drives there! I went back in windows and everything was still there.

Needless to say after this, I am backing that drive up to my C drive post haste- I have learned my lesson good. One would think I would have learned when my office HD went out recently, and I lost some stuff there.

This time, I am learning good. Backup backup backup. Now, anybody got a valium? Whew.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Funny how we tend to ignor the advice we give out daily to other users eh ops:

When I was the main tech guy in my old office I used to scare people all the time when they told me there was a problme with their machine. I'd sspend a little time at it then tell them its hopeless and we'd have to restore the hard drive from their tape backup...you find out pretty quick when the last time they actually did a back up...I'd let them sweat it a little then tell this is actually fixed but that the bead of sweat running down their nose should be a reminder that next time they might not be so lucky...funny thing is that usually lasted a month or so then it was back to their normal old bad habits...That said its been way to long since I did a back up as well!

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Great reminder Lex!

Very cruel Andrew :LOL:

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

It's still freakishly weird. How could a drive not show up like that, even after multiple restarts? Hardware board malfunction? CMOS error that was unrecoverable until a cold boot? I am really curious on this one.

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

The drive itself probably shut down. Sometimes this can happen if there is a power surge or drive malfunction or something. The drive itself needed a "cold boot" to function again.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

This sounds similar to what happened with my laptop. I thought it was completely "fried" -- NO response at all after some wierd sounds and overheating. It was shut off completley for several days (actually weeks -- I am using a different PC day-to-day now) and I fired it up again and it worked -- although it still exhibited some flakey symptoms. So needless to say, everything that I hadn't already backed up on it before has been backed up now. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

You know, come to think of it, I did get some sort of hardware message a couple of times recently. I bet that's what it was about. I dunno about the Asus duelly, may still be flakey. But I am not changing it out at this stage, over it! Back up my dater and ferget it!

CableLex
              Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                Back up my dater and ferget it!
                :rf

Oh man, I had to step outside to compose myself after I read that. A former co-worker and I used to say "dater" and "daterbase" all the time, as we like to joke about New England accents and stuff. Even when we email each other we say "dater" and things like that (a personal favorite is Toshiber!). So when I read it in your post I just lost it! :LOL:

Thanks for the chuckle! Now go get that dater backed up now, you don't wanna lose it!

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Always glad to entertain Kev. Dater is ceecure now.

You know, something just dawned on me. I did get some kind of an IDE message I think recently, maybe 2 times. Something is happening at the hardware level resulting in a dropped IDE I think. But now, that HD is on IDE 0 instead of IDE 1. So, hopefully, the drive won't pull any more disappearing acts. But at least if it does, I know what to do now!

With dual 60 gig drives, there's no reason for me not to be backed up to the hilt, that's for sure! I am now!

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Glad to heer yer dater is seecure. Just watch out for them those dater-eatin' veeruses! :B

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"