X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Dell Machines Are Non Standard ?

Well we always knew that Dell, Compaq, Gateway...etc, typically are proprietary in design, certainly for the desktop machines, however it seems even Dell towers may not be fully upgradable with off the shelf components that are non Dell. Sounds like a cash grab scheme to me as the Major PC makers seem to always charge more for their upgrades than what it would cost to buy off the shelf namebrand parts.

THE DELL CORPORATION may think it's all over for its competition but that doesn't mean it can start dictating non standard ATX devices.
    Bob Thompson, author of O'Reilly's PC Hardware in a Nutshell and owner of Thompson's Techno Grotto, claims there is a real problem with Dell's PCs because they're not bog standard boxes after all.

He said he has learned that the Great Satan of Hardware has used non-standard mobos and power supplies for the last few years, and says that although these use what seems to be a standard ATX connector, the pinouts are quite different.
    Read More Here

Bing
    Bing
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Wow. I knew that some components weren't standard, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. Changing a powersupply shouldn't fry your system.

There is only one reason for nonstandard parts. It's cheaper to buy and you can sell specific upgrades at higher cost. I've looked at some Dell upgrades for the laptop and it's pretty expensive, well most upgrades to laptops are expensive to begin with.

For the home PC side. Standard parts are assumed, but now it's not the case.

I am looking forward to doing a major upgrade to my PC. In so doing, I'll be able to extend the life by another 2 years, easy.

First steps I did was to overclock my Celeron from 300 Mhz to 450 Mhz, pretty much when I first bought my machine in the fall of '98. Next was adding 256M of ram last year. This year, I replaced the powersuply, and I've just added a new 40G HD. Next I'll be installing a CDRW/DVD drive, a new video card, and now a new 1.1 Ghz Celeron chip. What's great is if I decide to buy a new machine, I can move over the CDRW, and the video card and the HD, and just use the old components and have the old machine as an experiment machine.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"