• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Stealth P2P network hides inside Kazaa

This is actually unbelievable, and seems the stuff Sci-Fi's are made of 8O

A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of its own.

Whole Story Here

Bing
    Bing
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

...and I thought it was smart to stay away from Kazaa just because they limit MP3 bitrate to 128kbps.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

What I wonder is how many people install Kazaa blissfully unaware that it has these trojans included with it? It's one thing if it notifies you (CLEARLY) that this stuff is being installed on your PC, with the option to decline or uninstall it, but it's another thing if it's happening without your knowledge. That and how many people actually read the license agreements and stuff that they "agree" to before they install this stuff? I bet many folks would balk at their systems being "used" in a peer network without their knowledge, yet they go ahead and install Kazaa and its siblings without giving it a second thought.

Firewalls, anti-virus, spam filters, ad blockers, spyware blockers... dang, most of the software I've installed on my system is to protect against all this crap that's littering the internet...

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Anybody know what this "Double Click" spyware is that keeps showing up on a person's system every so often?

Seems I have to remove it most times a spyware scan is done.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I get the same thing Bing...

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I think as bad as I hate to say it, that it's time for regulation of what can be installed on a person's PC by any company. especially without their knowledge,and an option NOT to install it.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bing Fung
              Anybody know what this "Double Click" spyware is that keeps showing up on a person's system every so often?

Seems I have to remove it most times a spyware scan is done.
              Doubleclick is a site that provides banner ads for other websites and is known for tracking users' surfing habits via cookies. AdAware will detect and remove Doubleclick's cookies.

If you have a firewall with a banner ad blocker you can block Doubleclick and then you shouldn't get its cookies anymore...

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Humm, thanks Kevin!

So my router is my firewall, but how do it tell it to filter banners if that's possible?

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Might have to have a software firewall in addition to the router "hardware" firewall. I doubt a router gives you that flexibility...

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                    Might have to have a software firewall in addition to the router "hardware" firewall. I doubt a router gives you that flexibility...

Lex
                    Exactly. To block banners you'll want software, such as Norton Internet Security or a dedicated ad blocker.

You might be able to create a firewall "rule" on the router to block communications with the Doubleclick network, but (a) it won't block other ad sites, and (b) you may get a timeout or other error on sites with Doubleclick banners.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"