X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Worm Infiltrates Kazaa File-Swapping Network

Looks like a new form a worm virus can be contracted from Kazza. I suppose all file transfers should be treated as a potential virus when it's down loaded from file swap progams.

File swappers logged on to the Kazaa peer-to-peer (P2P) network may download more than they bargained for, according to an anti-virus company's report of a new worm that is spreading over Kazaa.
    Full Story Here

Bing
    Bing
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Symantec calls it the W32.Benjamin.Worm and more info can be found here. Definitions for Norton Antivirus that detect this worm can be downloaded from their web site, and will also be available via Live Update as part of their weekly update which should be tomorrow night (5/22).

Symantec rates this worm a level 1 threat (very low), as only a few infections have been reported within a limited geographical area. This could change if the worm becomes more wide spread.

The worm does no damage and is easy to remove if you do get infected with it. It only spreads via Kazaa, and uses names that make the worm appear to really be a self-extracting music or movie file.

Always use caution when downloading executable files (.exe, .com, .bat, .pif, .lnk, or .vbs files in particular) from anywhere, Kazaa or otherwise...

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for the analyisis Kevin. I knew if I posted it, you would show up to give us the 411 on it :LOL:

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Symantec updated this worm to a Level 2 threat, due to a "moderate" number of submissions. So it is spreading somewhat. We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"