X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeS
    • Feb 2004

Office 'headphones' and stealth sub

I posted quite some time ago asking for suggestions for an office sub. Thomas recommended a Blueprint 1003, which I thought would be great but somewhat larger than I was planning to build. Having discovered a cache of top secret 'stealth coating' I was able to make the little titan completely disappear. Its actually just barely visible in the attached photo (if your vision is sharp enough to defeat the stealth technology).

I've been enjoying my office system for some time so I thought I owed Thomas and the group a report back. I was planning on active crossovers for the 'mains' and a Linkwitz transform for the sub but with substantial room gain, a BFD, and the Adire plate amp controls I was able (with enough measurements and fiddling) to get it set up without building either. A somewhat unorthodox setup but adequate for the task.

The CSS drivers are quite enjoyable. The enclosures are a bit undersized but the objective was mainly to get them at ear level and keep them as small as otherwise possible. Technically they roll off a little early but I sit square on axis and can only hear maybe half an octave higher so I'm not missing much (very nice midrange).

The powermate at bottom right controls the m-Audio 'Audiophile 2496' and NAD C320BEE. I have to keep it dialed down when anyone else is around but it can definitely shake things up a bit later in the evening or on weekends.

All of the above gadgetry is highly recommended. For anything at all serious a bit more rigorous approach would obviously be better, but for the purpose at hand, I have to say I'm quite happy with the system.

Happy listening -
    gs

Click image for larger version

Name:	WR125SOfficeSystem.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	867654
    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 14:28 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Let me guess, you hid the sub inside the corner where the two bookshelves come together?

Cool system. I'll have to post pics of my cubicle audio system complete with tube amp and 400 disc CD changer. (not privileged enough to have an office unfortunately).

BTW, the tube amp is my avatar pic.

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Alright, I couldn't resist

I was laughing doing this, thinking, I wonder how many of you guys are "true" audiophiles? Meaning, you could not just settle for those awful "computer speakers" could you? Well here's my system - and yes I'm cranking music as I type right now! I saw the post above - and I just had to take some pics :B :B :B :B :B :B :B

Name:	97fd[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	841963

Name:	bdb4[1].jpg
Views:	238
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	841964
      Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 14:29 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
      Manufacturer

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Well, most of us spend the most contiguous waking hours at work, and (if you're like me) you listen to music there more than at home, having a good system at work makes a lot of sense.

BTW, my "Cubicle Tubicle" system consists of:

Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL tube headphone amp
        Beyerdynamic DT831 headphones (closed design)
        Sony CDP-M555ES 400 disc jukebox (tucked underneath the desk)
        CatCables Catalinas interconnects

Here's a pic of the system when I had it at home while I was laid off a year ago. I'm back at work and it's back in my cubicle again:

Name:	Tubicle_04.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	841955
        Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 14:30 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• GeorgeS
          • Feb 2004

Let me guess, you hid the sub inside the corner where the two bookshelves come together?
          Sorry, its under the mouse.

Ok, its between the bookshelves. The funny thing is I don't know how many different setups I considered before I glanced up one day and the light went on - Doh!

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sorry, its under the mouse.
            My eyes must be getting really bad because I don't see a mouse.
            Is it using stealth technology as well? :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

Funny thread

This isn't at work but at my home pc (in my old apartment). Good pc-speakers is a must, it's just sooo much nicer surfing around 8) 8) 8)

Jonas

Image not available
              Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 14:36 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• AJINFLA
                • Mar 2005

Eureka!, I finally figured out how to attach pics without relying on *#$%* Yahoo Photos! Must have been the drinks earlier tonight. :beer:
                I can't believe more of you haven't fiddled with your computer speakers. Let's see em! No self respecting audiophile/DIYer is going to settle for just your standard stuff. Oh well, here's the amp/sub for my dipoles.

AJ

Name:	910f[2].jpg
Views:	202
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	841965
                Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 14:30 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                Manufacturer

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                  • Jan 2005

Name:	Jim-Tangband1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	948792

Tangband W3-871s with Krutke's notch filter. Behind the desk is a 7" subwoofer using a dayton 7" aluminum and an Audiosource plate amp.
                  Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 14:36 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dustin B
                    • Nov 2003

My work system consists of

Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Headroom Total Bithead

and a 120gig hard drive in a usb drive sleave full of Monkey Audio files (lossless compression format).
                    Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• AJINFLA
                      • Mar 2005

Geez Jim, the finish on those might be nicer than my mains :T
                      Certainly makes my cobbled together dipoles look like pooh pooh. You can see my world class paint finish on the backside shot.
                      At least they sound good though :B
                      Manufacturer

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                        • Jan 2005

Thanks. These speakers were basically an experiment on gloss finishing so that I could make my mistakes on those instead of on a bigger and more time consuming pair.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"