X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

New home server

Thinking about getting a new computer for the house. It will serve function as my house server to 2 other computers as well as be the backbone for my connectivity running Win98 II or higher with DSL/cable modem/satellite (one of these) connectivity. Obviously, I want it to have good storage capacity. Maybe progressive DVD for the future, or cd rom now, with option to add DVD later.

Anyway, what's the least I can get into a system like that now? Probably need 800 mHz power anyway, or 1 gigaHz. System unit only, no monitor or printer.

Any suggestions where to buy?

Thanks,

Lex
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Lex try NCIX. It is a Canadian site that ships world wide. Got to my page and click on the NCIX banner link. The 800Mhz Thunderbird is the best price performance point right now. Match that up with the Asus KA7V and you'll have a rock stable rocket of a machine. You could also buy the Abit KT7-Raid that is suppose to be the best socketA board currently available.

Have a look, I'm no expert, and certainly there are others around this forum more adept, but those mentioned items would be what i would base a new PC on.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Well, I finally decided upon a new computer.

Iwill mother board with IDE Raid configuration, 900 mHz Thunderbird, 256K 133 CAS 2 RAM, dual 20 gig Maxtor 7200 ATA-100 drives, 32 meg Gee Force graphics, standard 56K modem, sound, CD ROM and floppy, 300 watt power supply.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"