X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Arctic Silver?

The last time I looked for a review of the various cooling pastes out there the two that I read both said that Arctic silver was no better at cooling the CPU then regular paste...and yet every review I read now on the various CPU's all use Acrtic Silver...so which was is it? Does it help or not?

• Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew,,
    Not sure what is better.
    My local computer store recommended the Artic Silver II Thermal Compound.
    A little pricey at $14.97 for the tube, ecspecially when all you are to use is one tiny drop onto the processor.
    Anyways ,I wanted to be safer than sorry so I took their advice and bought one...
    Maybe they were laughing at me once I left the store.

This should last me for the next 100 years or until I decease,,whichever comes first.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well Jeremy owes me for all the times he's borrowed my SPL meter and Avia so I'll likely bug him and borrow his

Comment

• Jariten
        • Jun 2000

Artic silver is more dangerous than useful....
        some stories talk about the artic silver paste shorting the CPU out...

I have tested artic silver and other types of compound....and noticed no difference at all ..except the price ^_^;;

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Jariten the Arctic silver II compound is much less condusive to conducting electricity so its less of a concern now...valid point though.

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Yea, AS2 does not have a shorting issue.

Do a Google search for reviews. I've read several that find significant temp reductions with AS2. AS3 just came out recently (I have a tube on the way with my new Swiftech) and is getting even better reviews.

$14 for a tube is probably for the large tube. I paid $6 for the 3 gram tube (more than enough for 2 or 3 CPU's) at NewEgg.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well I'm getting ASII for free (calling in a favour) so I'll give it a go to start with. I think trevors price was in canadian funds

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Ahh...Canadian bucks. When are we going to start using the same monetary system?

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Goose the unibuck has been discuessed for a number of years but moving to a single currency for north america would mean we'd have to give up controls (like our interest rates and infaltion etc) For various reason's we'd rather not...see argentina for an example of what can happen when a country looses control over its finances.

For a citizens perspective it would sure be nice if we didn't have to convert the two currency's but I'm not sure I'd like seeing my paycheck read 2/3's of what it does now

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Good point. Though I'm sure wages would equal out to some extent over time.

All eyes are on the Euro. Perhaps a success story there will get things rolling on our front.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Yes I'm sure there's more then a few people watching the Euro

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

I remember reading an artical about Artic Silver II that stated in tests it lowered temperature by about only 2 degrees C, while not a lot, it was still a difference.

The biggest thing was it did not break down and separate solids from liquid, during high heat like some of the other compounds. This may be an indicator that over time, the AS II would retain it's transfer efficiency and long term stability.

I have not rescearched the AS III compounds to know how it differs from the II.

I do use the AS II, and it can be a bit more of a mess to clean up.

If your a tweaker looking to extract that last bit of performance from everything, why not? I have wasted more money than the cost of a tube of AS II on items that have given me less milage

Shine on you crazy diamonds!

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                          • Aug 2000

AS3 helped lower my CPU temps by over 10 degrees celsus!!

OK...AS3 along with the new Swifty....so maybe that's not a fair statement.

-Sili
                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

10C ? 8O 8O Thats a huge amount Sili, I would guess that is mostly due to the copper Swifty.

If AS3 could lower CPU temps by 10C alone that would be like the elixer of PC life

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
                              • Aug 2000

Yea, it's the Swifty. Interesting though is that I upgraded from the smaller Swiftech MCXC-370 which is a very capable cooler in its own right. The drop of 10c (with very similar ambient room temps) is certainly more than I had expected.

I expect a rise in temps soon, however. I can't take the 80mm Delta 68CFM fan on the Swifty. I ordered a Sunon 50CFM to replace it. I need cold but I need my sanity too.

-Sili
                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"