X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

680W LM3886 Chipamp

This is meant as a flexible, good sounding amp for my home theater. I've almost completed building the 10 mono kits, and have my 800W 20V toroid already. I plan on making a MDF enclosure, and have the top vented using perforated aluminum sheet:

For cooling, I was planning on using an extruded aluminum square bar, measuring 14.5"x1.5"x1.5", then have aluminum plate on top of that allowing me to add heatsinks that I already have.
    Here are the pictures of my progress thus far.

Comments/tips/questions would be appreciated. Thanks .
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Very intersting Chip amps aren't my favorite in several ways. They sound pretty good but I've heard better for sure. My biggest gripe with them is their sensitivity to noise! But you can work it out eventually lol. Get ready for a lot of tweaking to get rid of it though :B

But it looks pretty neat so far! That's a lot of amps that's for sure.

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

Can I wire my transformer like this? I have dual primaries and quad secondaries.
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

If you got 120VAC line, which I suspect you do, then yes you should wire the primaries in parallel. Just make sure to get the right wires together.

No, you shouldn't wire the secondaries like that. If you have quad 20VAC(?) secondaries you should wire 2 of those in parallel. Also making sure you get the correct wires together.

You want +/- 20VAC, so you need to wire the two paralleled secondaries in series. And the center wires are power ground. Get your wires straight. Dots mark the negative phase if I remember correctly. Yes, I just checked a transformer.

It's hard to say exactly without seeing the markings on your transformer. Are you sure there are quad secondaries (8 wires). Usually you have dual secondaries (4 wires).
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• krips
          • Sep 2007

This is my exact transformer: http://www.antekinc.com/AN-8420.pdf
          Sharp LC-42D64U
          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
            Very intersting Chip amps aren't my favorite in several ways. They sound pretty good but I've heard better for sure. My biggest gripe with them is their sensitivity to noise! But you can work it out eventually lol. Get ready for a lot of tweaking to get rid of it though :B

But it looks pretty neat so far! That's a lot of amps that's for sure.
            That's weird. I haven't had any noise problems yet with my 41Hz kit (even with a tube pre), and I like its sound a lot.

My 100W Tripath kit, on the other hand, is like a huge noise-picking antenna. It sounds great... when it's not humming or beeping.
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Ignore my previous description about the secondaries, as you don't want to connect any in series.
              Here's how the tranny wires should be connected. You also need to be careful to make the correct connections to bridge rectifiers. You should have 2 bridges with 4 pins each, or you should have eight rectifier diodes.

John unk:

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Bad grounding can make them sensitive to noise. Otherwise I just find that they're not good at hiding noise in the system, no matter where it exists.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I have a pretty good ground setup in my house. I just find you have to wire the ground in a particular way to get the noise out. If you have the slightest bit of noise somewhere though it certainly is going to bring it out

Comment

• Amphiprion
                    • Apr 2006

My 100W Tripath kit, on the other hand, is like a huge noise-picking antenna. It sounds great... when it's not humming or beeping.
                    What type of power supply and does the chip use any feedback? Is the amp SE or BTL?

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Aren't the 41hz kits different though?

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Uh. Not ground in the house. Ground layout in your amp. They're sensitive to this. Picky, even.

C

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

Is it anything that a 4-layer signal/ground/V+/V- stackup wouldn't fix?

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Ah yes CJD, we are talking of the same thing then

The way I found that works best is to use a fat ground cable between a common star ground spot and your chassis. Then use medium size wire to your amp boards. Use the thinnest wire for the non ground items. The reason I have gathered to do it this way is it leaves the ground wire as the least resistive for ground loops and what not.

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                              Is it anything that a 4-layer signal/ground/V+/V- stackup wouldn't fix?
                              Yes. Maybe. Depends on the amp layout overall, really.

C

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                • Apr 2006

Ok. That totally answers my question

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

It's just really easy to add a ground loop, and having a ground plane doesn't specifically solve it. It *might* but it depends how you pull it all together. I think too many people forget to include the internal circuit in the op-amp when considering ground paths.

In this case, the likely problem will be merging the grounds of each of those separate amp boards! If you had 10 on one circuit board and were planning a ground plane properly you'd probably already have that issue solved.

Comment

• krips
                                    • Sep 2007

cjd, what is this ground plane that you mention?
                                    Sharp LC-42D64U
                                    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2007

A ground plane is a layer in a PCB that is connected to signal ground. You don't need to worry about it, as you already have your PCBs. But, just star ground all the grounds from the different PCBs to one point at the power supply ground. And you don't want multiple ground paths.
                                      John unk:

Comment

• krips
                                        • Sep 2007

So my transformer and my power supply boards are going in one unit and my amp chips in another. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to make up one of those 'umbilacal cords' though. I was thinking maybe RCAs but someone told me that wasn't the best idea. Would I be better to go with binding posts? XLRs?
                                        Sharp LC-42D64U
                                        TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                          • Jan 2005

I did a quick and dirty PCB based upon the LM4780 application notes and it is dead silent. You can get noise with any amplifier design but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the chip design. It has to do with layout and implementation which is up to the DIYer.

If you follow the application notes you get really good results.

Comment

• cjd
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                                            I did a quick and dirty PCB based upon the LM4780 application notes and it is dead silent. You can get noise with any amplifier design but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the chip design. It has to do with layout and implementation which is up to the DIYer.

If you follow the application notes you get really good results.
                                            Yup.

Though if you're trying to glom lots of these together it's SO easy to build yourself ground loops that are nearly invisible without a solid understanding of how the chips are wired internally and including that in your schematics...

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"