X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grant
    • Oct 2001

Writing to CD RW

I need some advice regarding the use of CD RW. I would like to create some music mixes on CD RW using MP3 files. Apparently my DVD player supports the playback of MP3 files. So far I have not had any luck using CD RW for this purpose. I can store data on the CD RW after formatting with Prassi, but when I insert the disc with MP3 files on it, my DVD player fails to recognise it. My burner is a Creative Labs 6x4x24 and came with Parasi and Nero. I would really appreciate a little help. Thanks.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Grant, have you tried burning MP3's to a CD-R? My DVD player wil not play a CD-R or CD-RW. Every other CD player I own will play CD-R's but not a CD-RW.

I have read that the type and quality of the media (disk) will determine how successful the CD will work in other players. You may want to experiment. It is also said for CD-Rs, the Blue disks will not be as consistant as the silver or gold, however I have found nothing to subtantiate that claims as they just won't play in my DVD player, and all media types (excpet CD-RW) will work in all my other CD players. One point to note is I only have dark silver CD-RW's.

Is there any reason you want to write on CD-RW's?

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Grant, welcome to htguide! Glad to have you with us.

Yes, and some DVD players will not play CD-R or RW. Such as Toshiba, I dont' believe they do play them. Yeah, for music I would just burn to CD-R and trash them when I am tired of em, or file em away for another day. At less than a buck for CD-R blanks, it's not worth the additional expense to mess with CD-RS most of the time.

Regular backup of files and other information is about the only great use for CD-RW, IMO.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

You shouldn't need to format the CD-RW with Prassi or DirectCD or anything like that. Those utilities format the CD so it can be used like a floppy (adding/deleting files willy nilly on a PC). A standalone player won't recognize discs formatted this way. Just record it like a regular Data CD-ROM with the MP3s on it and your DVD player should recognize it. If not, try a CD-R.

You can re-use a CD-RW formatted with Prassi by erasing it before burning a standard CD-ROM image to it.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Grant
          • Oct 2001

Thanks everyone! Kevin that was exactly the information I was looking for. As it turns out, I made a mistake with my DVD player - it supports CD RW, but not MP3. So while I will still probably try making a few CD RW music compilations, this won't be as useful to me as using MP3 files which would allow me to put more music on the CD RW.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

FYI the only CDRW that my Panny A320 will reconize are the Memorex ones...which is nice b/c they're cheap

BTW Welcome to the guide

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"