X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Welcome new blood

Please welcome Bing Fung as moderator here in Tower of Power!!! Bing never ceases to amaze me with his computer knowledge, so this is a good move. ThomasW was gracious enough to step aside in the co-mod primary role to get Bing involved. Of course, once a moderator, your always a moderator in all sections anyway. I think we know what Thomas' primary love is.

Whip these kids into shape, ey Bing?

thanks,

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Thank you Lex, Thomas & Jon for the opportunity to join a very talented base of moderators

Please Note, Jon is the real strength in PC/HTPC applications, where as my knowledge is based on general PC equipment and application. I'll try my best to help out anyway I can, and hope to learn as much as I can Help here.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Congrats on the promotion. So here's a PC question.

Have you ever heard of Canada Computer & Electrons Inc.? They look to be a B&M store in Ont, but they've got some crazy prices for Palm's.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Thanks Paul!

Yes, actually Rick Sorken had pointed me towards them at one time. I believe he has used them before.

I had requested information on ordering as they do not seem to have an online order form. Nobody ever contacted me, I ended up purchasing from PC Canada

CC&E does seem to have very competetive pricing to it's credit.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Congratz Bing,,
          A real asset to this forum and even performs housecalls

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Bing, that's what we need, a great complement to Jon's talents, and as I said, if Thomas has anything to add, he will anyway.

Ha on the graphic, taking notes ey?

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Ya, I have to, so I can remember what I've learnt

I'm only freeing Thomas up to build more highend stuff :W

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

A belated Welcome on board, Bing, though you've been on the "boards" a long time here, anyway.

I'm still catching up from being off a couple of weeks, and immersed in some projects; you know, ThomasW just chains me up down in his basement, and let's me out in the morning just to go to Le Peeps to recharge on a big breakfast, and maybe a latte from Starbucks if I'm lucky!

I think the next few months will be interesting ones on the PC front for a lot of us, Bing. I've been re-configuring and swapping around hardware in my various PC's at home, testing XP RC1, and trying to decide on setups for myself and my daughter that I hopefully won't mess around with after the beginning of the year.

I've got to build her a new box shortly, or give her my Athlon 750, because I stole the 600 from her because it's the last working system in the house that still has an ISA slot for me CLIO Audio test board. And even that wasn't much fun, because unlike the old BX based system I had, the plug and play bios and Windows weren't happy with the resources the CLIO board needs (can you spell, BSOD?), and I had to allocate resources manually (it's not a "plug and play" board for Windows (originally DOS software, though a new Windows version is just out).

Have you tried out XP yet? It looks pretty promising in some areas, and my daughter likes it, but the whole WPA thing has me turned off; I'll probably stick with W2k and 98SE for most of my systems, since I've not been especially fond of ME the couple of times I've tried it.

Anyway, great to hear you'll be working this turf.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon! It's humbling to be along side a great such as yourself, and trying to fill Thomas's shoes

No, I have not tried XP as of yet but certainly look forward to the Home edition. I'm interested in how it responds to the much hyped digital camera interface. I certainly do like the look of the GUI, but I'm undecided to the "Mac" feel as you mentioned in your earlier report. What is the WPA thing?

Will the Office/pro version work just as well in a home environment as the Home edition, or will functionallity be lost and best to use each OS for it's intended application?

ME does have it's quirks, fortuantely I only use it to play some games on my dual boot. There was a few weeks back where I wished that I had installed W98SE instead. I was pulling my hair out after installing a new SB Live Platinium 5.1 (Ya, it was one of those Future Shop $99 typos :B ). ME was really having problems with the BIOS, Via drivers, SB driver updates. W2K took it business as usual, ME coughed, gagged and I had to pat it on the back, burp it a few times before it started breathing again

When your playing with boards that are plugged into ISA, and are required to assign resources, you know you have put in your PC time....

The PC front certainly is going to be interesting. With the Nvida Nforce to be out and the retooling of the GeF4 to counter ATI's new Radeon 8500(looks to be killer), Intel's Brookdale chipset and Tulatin with Intel dropping prices, AMD's MP chips and it's need to grap more market share, Xbox, and Microsoft being the darling of the tech stocks again. No time for moss to grow here.

Again, great to be here with you!

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

The obligatory Tim Taylor grunt's go here.

ARRoughh, ARRoughh, ARRoughh, more POWER!

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                    Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Re XP, the Professional version does everthing the "Home" version does, but it also supports SMP, which is "disabled" by the marketing types for the home versions (what, you're not allowed to have a dual CPU system at home?).

WPA = Windows Product Activation

It's not registering, but it sort of is, since you don't have to tell them *who* you are, but you have to do it or your system will time out and quit running. By phone or online, WPA creates a numerical hash of your system configuration, using CPU, Video, installed RAM, MB, HD, and if you change more than two (upgrades, anyone?) it forces a re-activation or it just quits running.

Office 2000 and Office XP were the first product to have WPA; for Office, they'll allow you to have it running on two systems (your desktop, your laptop), but for WINXP they probably aren't going to be as lenient, since they want to stop casual copying, such as equipping two or three computers at home with the same software. Hey, that's me they're talking about!

Regarding appearance, you can use the default XP "skins", or you can specify a "classic" windows skin which gives you a look more like WIN2K. The default themes are a little too pastel and busy for my taste, but my daughter thinks they're cool. I suspect were only going to have XP on one or two systems at home at most. The most useful feature for XP at home (if it works well) is the integrated firewall and home networking support. Some of the other stuff looks too much like Microsoft trying to gain more mindshare on my PC.

Maybe I'm just too old a curmudgeon to accept these new tricks and big brother software. Oh well, I can always boot up BeOS on my 3DFX equipped system for a bit of nostalgia.

Best Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

I suspected the WPA was the online activation of XP. That will be a major bummer as I too feel stiffled just thinking about it. I do run Office 2000 but have never had to register it as it is a systems integrator disk that requires no activation code, as is my W2K & WME Disks.

Keep us informed to your thoughts of XP Jon...

Bing
                        Bing

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"