X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudee
    • Oct 2000

Whistler XP

Jon,
    Did you ever get your XP installed? I just registered and waiting on instructions for dl'ing the beta 1 and 2- I'm going to give it a whirl. I've heard good things about the media player 8 dvd player and radeon- I have not had good results with my new set-up, no dvd playback yet- What do you think about xp? The only thing I'm worried about now is the Fortissimo card not being supported- oh wait, I do have a Monster mx400 w s/pdif coax out. I'm pretty sure they have w2k drivers. I'm guessing that I need to install 98se, dl XP to my harddrive and then do the install? Please share any thoughts you have on xp......

rudee
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I'm waiting for the XP Beta 2 CD; they're just charging credit cards, now, which usually means they're shipping the CD's; M$ is pretty good about that. Expect it this weekend or early next week.

Haven't got all the bits together to put a new system together exclusively for it, but I've printed out the supported hardware list (all 109 pages), and I'm going through it to see what my options are. I built a computer that I took into work, that's got an ELSA Gladiac, an ASUS CUBX board, and an underclocked PIII; it's so plain vanilla I could probably run DOS 5.0! Well, maybe not.... I might try it, swapping out the hard disk, but it also has my audio test system which requires DOS to run, because it's a direct access DOS program; even Whistler won't allow that in compatibility mode. I'll just probably setup dual boot after drive copying the current 30GB partition.

Yes, I hear that the Media Player 8 is the cat's meow, but believe it or not, you will probably have to install another player on the XP Beta 2 to get it to work for playing DVD's, so that there is a DirectShow compatible DVD CODEC on board; I've heard that isn't in the Beta yet. Don't take that as gospel, it came from a moderately underground XP Beta site. Obviously, an SB Live 5.1 is supported, and I think I'll pick up a Radeon LE to play with, since I won't be concerned with gaming performance.

I don't like the product activation stuff for XP, neither the OS or Office, but there appear to be ways to get around that sometimes. It's not reasonable for a power user to have to re-activate their system software every time they make some significant hardware change- particularly since they don't have a "de-activate" you can run before making the changes. Most ordinary users don't swap out MB's and processors- but folks like us on this site probably aren't ordinary.

I'll let you know as soon as I get it in my grimy paws.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"