X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMiLEY
    • Sep 2000

Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1 soundcard

Has anyone had any experience with this? It's only $99, making it much cheaper than the SB Live! 5.1, and from accounts I've read it sounds better and has better driver support.

Here's a review: http://www.soundcardcentral.com/reviews/soundcards/PhilipsAE/page1.htm

I just wanted to know what HT enthusiasts think of this card.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Sounds like an interesting product. There's some confusion on the SB Live 5.1, though, judging from your comment, because there are several versions of the 5.1; it's a series of cards. For example, in one system I have the 5.1 platinum (which lists for $199), in another system I have a 5.1 XGamer (which lists for $99, streets for about $90). From looking at the review of the Phillips, it doesn't have a "Live Drive Tray" with front bay inputs and outputs, or an IR remote control, so it should be compared with the XGamer 5.1, not the Platinum edition, if price is the concern.
    I welcome competition in the sound card arena, though I'm afraid it is becoming a lot like video cards; the overall expectations, software support, compatibility requirements, etc, make it tough to break in. Just like the current situation with nVidia aborbing 3DFx- there aren't going to be very many options, soon, and as with Microsoft, I don't like that situation. It would be interesting to see a review which shows compatibility with all the "standard" software DVD players, WINDVD, Ravisent Cinemaster, and PowerDVD; note that the reviewer had some compatibility issues with PowerDVD, (even though that was bundled!), and the reviewer did *not* report on SPDIF output to external decoder, which for HT applications is critical. Many cards have had issues with supporting DVD playback in this mode. Any other reviews on this card, from someone better known?

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"