• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

PS3 question !

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to get a PS3 to play back 4:3 picture DVD's in full (Stretched) mode?. My Oppo used to do this with it's eyes closed but no matter how hard I try, I can't get this damn thing to do this.

It must be some sort of combination of settings that make this happen but I can't figure it out .

I of course can do this via my TV but I'd rather not because when I do it via the TV, it stays in that mode and I have to physically set it back to normal settings each time. :x
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I'll check mine when I get home. I've never tried to do this, though, as I always watch things in their original aspect ratio (if that means letterbox or pillarbox on my screen, so be it).

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
      I'll check mine when I get home. I've never tried to do this, though, as I always watch things in their original aspect ratio (if that means letterbox or pillarbox on my screen, so be it).
      The PS3 seems to adamant about playing discs in their default aspect ratio which is not a serious problem for me. However, if I'm watching a concert DVD in pillarbox format, it bugs me for some reason. Probably because my Oppo player's menu easily allowed me to ask it to format 4:3 format for a wide screen TV. The PS3 menu is no so clear. Letterboxed concerts and movies do not bother me because they are by default inherently widescreen.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
        The PS3 seems to adamant about playing discs in their default aspect ratio which is not a serious problem for me. However, if I'm watching a concert DVD in pillarbox format, it bugs me for some reason. Probably because my Oppo player's menu easily allowed me to ask it to format 4:3 format for a wide screen TV. The PS3 menu is no so clear. Letterboxed concerts and movies do not bother me because they are by default inherently widescreen.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Sorry I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Got home later than expected last night and my PS3 is no longer connected to the HT (it's connected to an SD CRT in the kids' playroom and set to output in standard def 4:3 at the moment). Will take a look this weekend and see if I can find a setting to do what you want.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Was unable to find any setting that would allow an easy default for what you want to do. I don't think it's a common feature on players anymore (and may have disappeared with a firmware update along the way with the PS3--other features have done that periodically). I guess you're best bet is to do it with your TV.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

RATS !!.......anyway, thanks for looking into it Ovation!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"