X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

iOS8 Thoughts?

So Apple did their big thing on Tuesday. iOS 8 was announced and sure there are some neat items.

The one thing I did not see was the ability to further customize screens with live widgets. There is something about having widgets in the notification screen, but that is still a fairly static page. Pull down and start scrolling through all live widgets?

This leads me on to the next release of the iPhone. Probably called the iPhone6 and by most discussions will come with a larger screen. Either in a 4.7" or 5.5" or both size screens. The resolution of those sizes has not been confirmed, but there is a new feature in the developer kit to see how apps look on custom resolutions.

Now this is pure speculation on my part. I wonder if the ability to allow developers to see apps in custom resolutions might mean having the ability to change the actual iPhone native resolution? That would be kinda cool. Right now everybody is running a fixed mode. I don't know what the actual benefits might be for changing it like a computer monitor. More likely this is really for the developers to have the ability to adjust as new iPhone resolutions are announced.

There is a lot of wasted space on the iPad mini and the iPad itself with the current home screen layouts. It would be really nice to see live tiles or widgets on the various screens.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

It's about friggin time they allow third party keyboard apps. I've had an iPad for a couple years now and my number one biggest beef is finally being corrected. I really dislike the stock Apple keyboard, and if I can install Swiftkey on it, wow, that changes the game.

It sounds as though a general structure of allowing apps more access to the device and to other apps will be in place, which should be very nice.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Everything to me looked pretty cool. I like the upgrades. I was kinda expecting the iPhone as well but I guess we have to wait and see.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I am really looking forward to the new keyboard as well as trying other keyboards. My experience with the current iOS7 keyboard has been pretty poor. The iOS6 one was much better. I have made so many errors on the new keyboard on my 5s I am tempted to call it a bad digitizer.

As for an iPhone announcement, I really didn't expect any news. I am guessing early September will be the big day and availability near the end of September.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I'm more jazzed by updates to underlying API's, the introduction of the Metal graphics call interface, and the technologies supporting continuity with the Mac. I'm looking at this a bit more from the perspective of a registered developer, as well as a shareholder. WWDC was very focussed on software application technology, and more more open and much more new cool stuff than any previous 2 or 3 WWDC put together. Definitely a good trend line.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Although not really iOS specific, I rolled my eyes big time at Swift, their new programming language. Then I took time to thumb through the documentation they have on it so far. Their slogan "Objective C without the C" is ridiculous, it's pretty much some C++ with the nicer features of Python thrown in. That said, it does seem very very nice and I'll be interested to see what comes of it. Here's the documentation if anyone cares to check it out:
            -Chuck

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul Wu
              I am really looking forward to the new keyboard as well as trying other keyboards. My experience with the current iOS7 keyboard has been pretty poor. The iOS6 one was much better. I have made so many errors on the new keyboard on my 5s I am tempted to call it a bad digitizer.

As for an iPhone announcement, I really didn't expect any news. I am guessing early September will be the big day and availability near the end of September.
              Hmm, I was pretty spot on the timing of the iPhone announcement.

iOS8 will be available on Sept 17 and the device on Sept 19.

In case anybody is trying to figure out how big the new 6 and 6 plus is going to be, here's a nice link to a printable PDF of the phone size.

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Thanks for the link! My GF has several friends trying to figure that out, and decide between 6 and 6+.

As a registered developer, including iOS, I'm usually trying the developer previews out on one device, but no time this year to look at iOS8 yet. My day job just hasn't been allowing free time in the evenings during the week- all I can do to get home, take a shower, and go to bed.

Still, the bits I've read about look encouraging.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Paul Wu
                  Hmm, I was pretty spot on the timing of the iPhone announcement.

iOS8 will be available on Sept 17 and the device on Sept 19.

In case anybody is trying to figure out how big the new 6 and 6 plus is going to be, here's a nice link to a printable PDF of the phone size.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/pr...iphone-6-plus/
                  I went ahead and pre-ordered the 6+ 128GB. I've got the 4 (no S) and iOS8 won't work on it. I gave some thought to going with the smaller one, but I occasionally do a bit of work on the portal for the online courses I teach when I'm on the go and while it works on my current 4, it will be better to have the larger screen real estate (though I've had no trouble with the iOS7 keyboard, unlike you). Besides, my eyes need all the extra help they can get, so greater PPI and a bigger screen will be good. And the 4 will remain useful as a back up in case something happens to my new phone (and once I empty it of apps, it'll make a great little iPod touch).

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
                    I went ahead and pre-ordered the 6+ 128GB. I've got the 4 (no S) and iOS8 won't work on it. I gave some thought to going with the smaller one, but I occasionally do a bit of work on the portal for the online courses I teach when I'm on the go and while it works on my current 4, it will be better to have the larger screen real estate (though I've had no trouble with the iOS7 keyboard, unlike you). Besides, my eyes need all the extra help they can get, so greater PPI and a bigger screen will be good. And the 4 will remain useful as a back up in case something happens to my new phone (and once I empty it of apps, it'll make a great little iPod touch).
                    Nice, I've got an order for my boss, a 64 GB 6+. The screen size plus extra battery life will be a welcome improvement over his 4s. The 4s will most likely be moved down stream.
                    Paul

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

iOS8 is now available.

For the first time in a very long time, since the 3GS, I am updating to the new OS now. Will be interesting to see how long it takes.

At the moment, I've got a "Update Requested" status then it moved to a "Downloading.." status.

On my 5s it showed about a 1.1GB download and now is showing about 11 minutes to download. I've got a fast connection here, so if it slows down, then it is the server side limitation due to high demand. But 1.1 GB and 11 minutes, is about 100 MB a minute? Nice...

10:23 am - Update has completed downloading and is preparing to update phone.

10:43 am - still updating, looks to be 2/3's of the way done. I did an iCloud backup before I updated.

11:12 am - just over an hour since I hit the update button. Ready to hit the install button and will reboot soon. I guess it was an hour to download the update and now that the update has fully downloaded, it is now rebooting to do the actual installation. So much for downloading in 11 minutes.

11:27 am - the progress bar has completed and it looks like the device is rebooting. The Apple logo is now pretty dim, not sure what that is about. I had set my autolock to off, prior to starting the update.

11:30 am - I think the phone just rebooted, or at least shut it self off. Going to give a minute before I hit the power button to start it up again. I thought it would automatically reboot.

11:32 am - I hit the power button and it was already at the log in screen. I have to enter my user password and going to log in and start my iOS8 experience.

The main thing I'm going to check on over the next week it the battery usage feature. It is in the General tab->Usage->Battery

Then I'm going to try one of the 3rd party keyboards.
                      Last edited by P-Dub; 17 September 2014, 14:42 Wednesday.
                      Paul

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Downloading here too.... exciting stuff!
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        ClassƩ SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• P-Dub
                          Office Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

I tried Swiftkey as the first 3rd party keyboard. The one thing I am not sure I like is that it request 'Allow Full Access"

Full access allows the developer of this keyboard to transmit anything you type, including things you have previously typed with this keyboard. This could include sensitive information such as your credit card number or street address.
                          This concerns me as this could easily include user id and password combinations. Sure I could try to use a password manager, or the Apple manager, but I don't or at least not yet.

The other thing that occurs is if this option is not enabled, the predictive next word and the swiping ability is disabled. Which I think sucks. The swiping ability takes a bit of time to enable, or it is just that my phone needs a harder press down to swipe to get the letters.

I did a quick test on my note pad and the initial texting with the predictive words was pretty good. I think a bit better than the stock keyboard. The swiping was pretty good as well. But when I turned off the access, it just became a basic keyboard with no auto period after double tapping the space bar and no auto capitalization of the next sentence.

I may spring for the $1 and try the Swipe keyboard, but then again I might hold off, but if it needs all access to work like Swiftkey, then maybe not.
                          Paul

Comment

• P-Dub
                            Office Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

The Swype keyboard for a $1 is well worth the initial cost. Firstly it does not need full access, like the other keyboards. I like how I can change the background from a dark to a light colour version, there are a couple more, but I may stick to the light colour.

I find the keyboard is nice and sensitive vs swiftkey. I felt I had to press hard to get the swiping motion to work.

The battery reporting setting is not what I expected it to be. It looks like it is just reporting time when the device is on vs reporting app time when device is on standby as well. Going to monitor this for the next week. But so far it has not made any difference to my battery drain issue.

I'm down to 65% with 53 minutes of usage time and 4hr 7 minutes of standby. This is pretty standard for me, my phone drains at a rate of 6%-7% per hour. This is way too high as standby time is supposed to be 240 hours. I won't get 24 hours if I leave my phone on standby.
                            Paul

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

I've never had a phone that did not need to be charged every night, regardless of the usage........Iphone, Android or otherwise. However, I have heard more complaints about Iphone battery issues than other brands on the whole.
                              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• P-Dub
                                Office Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Oh, I'm not talking about needing to be charged everynight. I expect that, but I'm talking about when 2pm rolls around, I used to be at 75% and now I'd be at 45%-50% depending on usage.

My Moto Razr HD can last a day easy and I use that has a hotspot for a good chunk of the day on weekends. It's only got problems with the wifi or location services or something. So when I switch phones in the next couple of months, I'll be going to a Note 4 or maybe a S5.

There is this attitude that I've encountered where people are offering what I would call basic battery advice. I'd like there to be a rating system where I can say, well I'm now at step 8 frustration. I've done all the basic to advance steps from 1 to 8 in terms of battery conservation and now we are talking about application and hardware specific problems.

In the end I just want my phone back the way it used to be.
                                Paul

Comment

• P-Dub
                                  Office Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Oh man, the calendar syncing appointment times is kinda crappy at the moment. I'm synced through our exchange server, located on the east cost and when I enter a new appointment, it defaults to my westcoast time zone. But when I change appointment on my outlook, it changes it to an EST time zone indicator. That isn't so bad, but if I then go into my appoitnment and wish to reschedule, I have to make sure I change the time zone to Pacific. I'm going to have to play around with the settings and maybe even read up on this, and of course google it.
                                  Paul

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

At the end of the day and assuming the battery is still good, you should get a full day of service out of your phone if it's charged the night before. I have the Note II and even with it's big screen, I've got a 45-50% charge at the end of the day with moderate usage. It has never pooped out before the end of the day.
                                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• P-Dub
                                      Office Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Although IOS8.0.1 was released earlier today, there have been issues with iPhone 6 and 6 Plus with users losing cell signal and touch id functionality. So be cautious when using this update, it is an ongoing issue so the over air update for those devices may have already been pulled.

For older models, it seems okay, but I'm going to hold off with my 5s for now.
                                      Paul

Comment

• P-Dub
                                        Office Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

iOS 8.0.2 is now out and should be ok to upgrade. Will see in a day how it works.
                                        Paul

Comment

• impala454
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2007

My iPad 3 (only iOS device) seems to run a bit slower with iOS 8. Definitely love that I am using Swiftkey as my keyboard on the thing now. It's a night and day difference.
                                          -Chuck

Comment

• P-Dub
                                            Office Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Good to know about the slowness on the iPad 3. My wife has one so I'll have her hold off on the upgrade.
                                            Paul

Comment

• Dmantis
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jun 2004

I'm still rocking a iPhone 5s and I'm running IOS8 and upgraded to .2 and I have not seen any slow downs or issues except Facebook is running very slow and crashes from time to time.
                                              Facebook never runs perfectly no matter what IOS you have so I'm not flawing the entire IOS for one app. All others run great.

I have not upgraded the iPad Mini yet , anyone try IOS8 on the Mini?

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                Office Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Don't have a mini, yet.

Got my phone replaced on Friday and have upgraded to .2. So far the battery life is back to where it was before. Going to install a few more apps and monitor.

A strange thing happened to my podcasts. Some updated and downloaded fine, but there were others that showed as downloaded, but wouldn't play. I ended up deleting the affected episodes and downloaded them again and it was fine.

You can use iTunes gift cards to pay for the new iCloud storage options, this is nice as you can get those gift cards at various discounts off face value.
                                                Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

You know, there's so much of HT Guide where other interesting stuff is going on but daily life is so busy I don't often have the time to peak and see what's happening- like this computer and other electronics forum!

Phone wise I am really happy, after doing something very out of character for me- buying an iPhone on eBay. Usually I get one from the Apple store, but as I'm never at home during shipping hours to receive one, and i've been working too much on weekends, it took bidding on a few auctions before I wound up with a 64GB iPhone 6+ in the configuration I wanted and the price I was willing to pay. But it has been worth it- there are so many "upgrades" compared with my 5S, much less the iPhone 4 I still have at work... the only thing I added was a glass shield at the AT&T store, and settled on the Spigen case shown here after buying and trying 4 others...

As to iOS8, I have to say I'm really liking it, but didn't install it on "production" hardware until 8.02. I'm a registered developer for iOS8 and OS X, mostly to play around and preview early previews of the OS's, but particularly the way iOS8 and OS X Yosemite work together is very nice. Yosemite has been very stable for me, even from the 2nd developer release, particularly compared with Mavericks, so it's been a good experience. The revised keyboard support is just one small thing I find very useful on a daily basis.

I've got another project in process, parts starting to come in, that I'll write a short thread about (assuming everything works!) it's putting together a dual OS gaming rig, OS X and WIN7 64, using an older Mac Pro selected for gaming performance and price (3.3GHz six core), with a customized ATI/AMD R9 280X card (flashed to work with OS X, including boot screen support and drivers)- It's got a small SSD to boot from, and a 7200 RPM HD, but I'm probably going to pull both and load up a 480TB PCIE SSD and a few WD Velociraptor 10K 1TB drives- the graphics card arrived today, the system was shipped from Texas yesterday.
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

:E

Wow. 480 TB SSD drives? How come I didn't get the memo?

(Obviously a typo, right?)

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                      Office Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

Was also going to comment on the TB drives, but who knows, maybe it is some super secret project that gets these wonderful toys.

Finally got my boss's 6+. I picked it up just after my lunch. I've got it all charged up and updated to 8.1.1, just to keep it within the iOS topic. It was nice that it came preloaded with 8.1 so it was a short update.

It feels slightly different in the hand with out the Apple tether in the store. I think it is still a bit big for my hand, but I can see getting used to it over time.

I also got a Spigen case, in a slightly grey mat colour. I really like the case that I have on my 5s, have gotten something similar to fit the 6+.
                                                      Paul

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                        • Aug 2000

I just installed iOS8 on my iPad 2 and it works fine, but some apps seem to be slower. I wonder if doing a full reset and reinstall of the apps will help.

Comment

• BWLover
                                                          • Jan 2009

8.1.1 is supposed to help with speed issues on the iPad 2 & iPhone 4S.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
                                                          Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                          Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                          Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                          Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                          Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                          Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                          Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                          Playstation 3
                                                          Shaw HD PVR
                                                          Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                            :E

Wow. 480 TB SSD drives? How come I didn't get the memo?

(Obviously a typo, right?)
                                                            Boy, I only wish... yup, just 480GB. Should be here Tuesday or so....

Can you imagine the rack size you'd need for that? My old Mac Pro with four HD's had just 16 TB...

Of course, all the researchers are talking about different technologies that will get us orders of magnitude more storage, but most won't it commercial reality before 2020, if then...
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                              Office Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
                                                              I just installed iOS8 on my iPad 2 and it works fine, but some apps seem to be slower. I wonder if doing a full reset and reinstall of the apps will help.
                                                              Agree with BWLover, make sure you update to 8.1.1 as that update specifically identifies improvements. I've got a 4s on 8.1.1, haven't used it much so can't comment on the speed. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the iPad2. I've got one running 6.x 8O... I missed the upgrade window to 7.

Starting fresh always seems to help.
                                                              Paul

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                • Aug 2000

I have 8.1.1. I did a restore today and it seems snappier now. Just tried the Facebook app which was painful before and it seems better now.

Plus it installed a nice starry night picture as a default wallpaper which I love too.

Comment

Working...
                                                                😀
                                                                😂
                                                                🥰
                                                                😘
                                                                🤢
                                                                😎
                                                                😞
                                                                😡
                                                                👍
                                                                👎
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"