X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

iPad

Ok, anyone out there have an iPad or contemplating purchasing one?

Let me start by telling you this is one amazing device. I've haven't used my laptop since I've had it. It has 10 hrs of battery life, it's own microprocessor, a plethora of apps. I have the 3G version. Go to a Best Buy or Apple store and play with one of these devices. It has raised the technology bar. Great job Steve, I must give you your props, ~ seven years in the making, even while he was ill. He claims this is his greatest apple contribution.

Things people don't seem to like, no camera, no Java flash, a tad heavy at about 1.5 lbs or 1.6 lbs. ( if you have the 3G version), no multiple app (at least until 4.0 OS).

Ok just my quick thoughts, fire away.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

We have a couple in the office to test how our website works on it - we brought them in from the US. There's no doubt the device itself - while is fantastic - has it's flaws but I don't want to talk about those. Trancend the flaws and you you have a revolutionary device that will change how people connect with the internet in the years to come. The interface - touch - is amazing - extremly intuitive and immersive - you genuinly feel closer the web.

Statistics indicate that by 2013 60% of all web traffic will come from mobile devices (Gartner). The laptop will predominatly become a tool for work(again) and as the technology at both back end an connectivity now exists to support it - fat OSs will begin to ligten up as the virtualised desktop in the corporate world become a reality.

Interesting tech times ahead - 'cloudy with a chance of ipads'.... (geddit!)

I will have one when they release the 3G variant later in the year.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I played with one at the mall. Very cool for browsing the web. The form factor seems about perfect for that. If money was no object I'd have one on my coffee table, next to my bed, maybe in the bathroom (haha). But it doesn't seem useful for much other than browsing the web... not for my $500 anyways. I wouldn't want to sit and chat with someone or write emails on it. For example I couldn't imagine typing this entire message on this forum using a touchscreen. Cool toy for sure though.
      -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I suspect it will become a required work device for me (or something like it) in a few years as many textbook companies are signing up to distribute material on the iPad. The attraction it has for me regardless of work issues is as follows:

Does everything an iPod Touch does but with more space for my clumsy fingers.
        the iBook app
        the fact that Kindle has an app for it

The above already sells me on the device (though I will await version 2.0).

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

The Biggest coolest thing about the Ipad is running Control system apps. Nothing like controlling your entire house , then surfing the net , ordering dinner , playing a game , read a book , find out where the place is your going to this weekend , checking on camera feeds around the house , turning up the volume and changing the track , checking the weather for this weekends Mountain bike trip , order a new picture online , look up next weeks movie schedule ...........

Need I go on?

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I played with one for a day or two. While fun and new and revolutionary, I also have a tough time saying any of that and classifying it as anything but an big ipod touch. I'm not saying it's bad. But to me it's a "dumbed" down computer. The touch technology is very good with that and the "smoothnes" of the screens and everything are great. But there's so much it can't do that I need a "computer" to do. Including being able to download and display content off of websites that it couldn't.

So for me, it's a VERY expensive 'okay' web browsing device.

Not saying I wouldn't take one for free of course! :T

What I would really like to see is it really take off as a remote for all your devices and HT usage. If it would sync with my media server and display all the movies/music/randomness that it has on it, I could see a really cool thing there!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Industrial
              • Mar 2009

Damn this thread! I just went out and got the 64 3G iPad

It's nice, more like reading a book vs using a laptop. Runs pretty smooth and sure beats typing on the iPhone.

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

In the electrical engineering labs at school I have no trouble running mathematics and circuit CAD software packages on my Acer 11.6" Netbook, so I don't think the iPad lacks the power to be effective in mobile productivity situations - it's more an issue of available applications and means of I/O.

At the same time, my iPhone 3G-S is capable of almost everything an iPad can do, along with greater means of mobile communication and a smaller form factor.

The net cost of both these devices (in top trim) is roughly equal to the cost of a 64GB 3G iPad. Unfortunately, the iPad can't replace them. I can't make calls, transfer data via thumb-drive, run certain applications I need, take photos, or view Flash content on the web. That said, I think these issues will eventually be addressed, and I will make the move to an iPad in its 2nd or 3rd generation.

The "simple" (almost transparent) OS is definitely the way of the future, along with big displays and a touch-type interface (hopefully greater voice recognition as well). I think people will opt for either a compact cell-phone or an iPad-type device that can be placed in s small leather bifold in their bag/brief-case. Then a super-small bluetooth earpiece as technology progresses (I hate the current clunky bluetooth ear pieces).

This will be supplemented by more powerful and capable computer in the home and office.
                ~Nick

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

I've had mine for about a month and it's pretty cool. I'm not much for playing games and such, so mine is used as a surfer, email machine.

I just got a nice little zip file extract for.99...... Nice !

There's a lot more to do with it....
                  Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Like Nick M, I'll take the plunge once the iPad has a bit more PC-like functionality. Right now I'm functioning with a laptop, phone, and Kindle, and I can definitely see a point on the horizon where a super-iPad will supplant them all. Frankly, had I been more aware of the iPad's current capability I would have held out until it arrived instead of purchasing a Kindle DX several months earlier.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Nick M
                      In the electrical engineering labs at school I have no trouble running mathematics and circuit CAD software packages on my Acer 11.6" Netbook
                      Fact: the Intel Atom cpu is twice as powerfull as the A4 in the Ipad

Comment

• Hammie
                        • Oct 2005

I have had an iPad 3G since release day and love it. I use it for my classes, read eBooks on it, surf the web, and even control much of my HT with it.

Although it doesn't totally replace my Harmony One remote, it allows me to control my Onkyo AV processor by using the oRemote app. I may someday look into whole house control with my iPad, but for now I am content. There are a few other upgrades I want to get before I start going down that path.

However, at this point, and you are looking into an iPad, I may wait since the new version should be out by April. Personally, I think the announcement will come next week as to what features have been added to it.
                        Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                        Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                        Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                        B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                        Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                        My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                        Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Well, they look cool, but I'm just not sure what I'd use it for.

I think a lot of people are like that, and I'm mostly in line with Nick, Pewter, and Chuck. I use (and mostly need) my laptop for running programs, working on documents, and watching movies. I use my iPhone for phone calls, and mobile apps, including some mobile games. I use the iPod for mobile music, like in the gym, or plugging into my car. I don't read any books on my devices--I read physical paper books.

So for me, the iPad seems like a device shoehorned into the middle of all those, mostly capable of doing the same things, but with limitations/compromises on most of them. It's too big to bring to the gym, and even less convenient to plug into my car. Would be much smaller for watching movies, and doesn't have a disc drive for DVD/BD's. No keyboard for typing, so only marginally better for typing E-mails than my iPhone. Can't store/transfer documents, much less work on them. Can't run programs like my laptop. Can't make phone calls. (but I'd be more open to an iPad if you could, like with a bluetooth headset)

So, bottom line, it seems like a cool device that would be mostly nice for surfing the web, but a compromise for most other functions I could/would use it for. VERY expensive device for that. (and even more if you get a 3G subscription) I'd love one if someone gave it to me, but right now I'm not going to plunk down $600 for that purpose.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Well, Apple have apparently sold over 15 million iPads, so people are using them for something. If they really were so pointless, the word would have got around by now. But no, they're still selling them by the truck load. I agree, iPads are "media consumption" devices rather then "media creation" devices.
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                              Well, they look cool, but I'm just not sure what I'd use it for.
                              Chris, this may (or not) be of interest to you regarding iPad usefulness:

Executive Jet Receives FAA Authorization To Use Jepp Charts On IPad

Electronic IFR / VFR Charts for Your iPad

Obviously, its software that makes a device useful irrespective of the hardware giga bits and mega thingies. Apple understands this. For years people were searching, without success, for the "killer app". But the killer app is the app store itself.

As the saying goes "there's an app for that..." and there probably is!
                              - Mike

Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

I played with one. I love the audio that comes out of it (ie...Youtube videos). However, I have a Netbook that outperforms the IPad at more than half the price and is equally as portable, has a better processor, storage capacity, ability to run programs, webcam and mike........ just to name a few differences!!. Like people above, I would take one if it was given to me and play with it (key word there.....PLAY!!) but I would never plunk down that kinda' change for what the IPad offers.
                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mjb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Hey, lets turn this thread into another Apple bashing "my PC cost a third as much, is twice as fast, and includes a xyz". If that's what you think, you're probably missing the point. As I said above, somebody must be happy with the iPad, Apple have flogged over 15 million of them.
                                  - Mike

Main System:
                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

mjb, yeah, I would LOVE to be able to use flight charts and approach plates on an iPad, or any other electronic display, for that matter. For a while now, we've advocated for using them, and even integrating them into the cockpit of our aircraft. Sadly, our "company" won't allow us to do it. Maybe someday, though! I agree, that'd be a pretty sweet use of the iPad right there.

And no worries about the Apple bashing here. I have and CONSTANTLY use my iPhone and iPod, and love them. I just have some real concerns about the usefulness/applicability of the iPad to my personal needs. I'll go play with it in the store, but for now, I can't shell out $600 just to find out if it's something that'd be useful or not, whereas I KNEW before buying that the iPhone and iPod were definite devices for me.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2007

Mike, selling a lot of something means you have great marketing. I don't think this is an Apple bashing thread as you suggest. In my own personal experience, I don't see the need to own one of these, whether it's the iPad or one the Android tablets. I am gradually seeing a couple of nifty things I might do with one down the road, and if enough of those pop up and I feel the need to have one, I'll pick up a tablet of some type.
                                      -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mjb
                                        Hey, lets turn this thread into another Apple bashing "my PC cost a third as much, is twice as fast, and includes a xyz". If that's what you think, you're probably missing the point. As I said above, somebody must be happy with the iPad, Apple have flogged over 15 million of them.
                                        Ok mjb.......there are lots of stinkin' rich people out there that like 'toys' and will buy something just because it's new, trendy and hot for 600 bucks!. Ordinary, not rich, reasonably intelligent people like me look at a new piece of electronic equipment and judge it based on what it can do, it's price, and whether it's worth that price based on what it offers. The IPad does not offer enough for the asking price. Period.

Comment

• Hammie
                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by madmac
                                          Ok mjb.......there are lots of stinkin' rich people out there that like 'toys' and will buy something just because it's new, trendy and hot for 600 bucks!. Ordinary, not rich, reasonably intelligent people like me look at a new piece of electronic equipment and judge it based on what it can do, it's price, and whether it's worth that price based on what it offers. The IPad does not offer enough for the asking price. Period.
                                          I humbly disagree for me and my requirements, but that is the beauty of being able to make a logical decision based on needs.

I see the features within the iPad and, to me, they are worth the price.

It is MUCH easier checking e-mails, surfing the web, or reading a book while I am waiting in lines at my favorite coffee shop, restaurant, or waiting/riding on the Washington, DC Metro.

At those times, I do not need to run any sort of programs that I would use my laptop or desktop for. I use my laptop for my photo-editing or real heavy duty word processing. However, I have a bluetooth keyboard that I can, and have used, with my iPad while working on a term paper for my last class. I use my desktop as a music server so it does all my music processing.

I'm almost 40, have two kids and a wife and an iPad is MUCH easier to carry when we go out to various places. I'm not rich by any means and I have priorities in check. So, other things do get put ahead of any "toys" that I decide to purchase.

On the other hand, you obviously do not need an iPad because you see things differently. You are content using a netbook for all the tasks that I use my iPad for. In our own ways, we are both right in our decisions. :T
                                          Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• mjb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

madmac, just because you don't see value in a product doesn't necessarily mean that those who do are either "stinkin' rich" or less intelligent does it? I'm sure the version 2 iPad, due in the next few months, will add features and perhaps even lower the price. Right now, the most expensive version is $829, which I agree is a bit steep. Current entry price is $499, also not lose change.
                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• madmac
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2010

Don't get me wrong guys, I liked the IPad a lot. I just cannot justify owning BOTH an IPad AND a laptop at the same time when they basically can both do the same thing (IPad being the most limited in this case). However, I really did like it and found it 'slick' to say the least. Apple is very good at creating cool, slick products and I am thinking about getting an IPhone 4 as my next PDA. A laptop is cheaper, and can do everything and more than the IPad does. It is equally as portable too.....especially the Netbooks.

Comment

• impala454
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2007

Mike I think it'd be great if they lowered the price, but I think you'll see snowballs in hell before you see an iPad 2 that is introduced at a lower price than the current lineup.

As for the current iPad (or comparable Android tablet), I'd be a buyer at ~$200.
                                                -Chuck

Comment

• cjm80
                                                  • Feb 2011

ipad is superior than a netbook for mobile browsing as it is always connected to the net like a mobile phone. with a netbook you will have to log on to your provider with your wireless dongle every time you wake it from "sleep". Obviously if you want to do more than browse the net the a netbook gives you more functionality

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

From this article, it looks like the iPad 2 might be announced next week.

To be fair, I'm intrigued, and will absolutely take a look at the new product. My wife loves her Kindle, and so we've had the same discussion as the one here as to whether the iPad would be worthwhile to her and/or I.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2010

The concept is good but it's gotta' get a reasonably substantial hard drive, webcam and mike and be able to run programs. Then we're talking about something super cool ! Right now, all we're getting is a simple browsing machine for big bucks!.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, one question I have is why the first iPad only has 64GB of a drive. Even my iPod Classic has 160GB, I think. Did they really run out of room in the bigger iPad, and can't fit as big a drive?
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2010

I think their concept was for it to NOT be a computer but the question I raise is.....WHY NOT ??. The only thing that would be pushing it would be an optical drive. I don't think there is adequate space for that. If you can put 160 gigs in an Ipod then you can put it in an IPad right?. Make it do at least what a Netbook can do and jezzus people will buy it!!.

Comment

• Hammie
                                                            • Oct 2005

Yeah, one question I have is why the first iPad only has 64GB of a drive. Even my iPod Classic has 160GB, I think. Did they really run out of room in the bigger iPad, and can't fit as big a drive?
                                                            There is a cost difference since the iPad classic uses a traditional hard drive and the iPad uses the more expensive Solid State Drive (SSD). If you ever look inside the iPad, there is a lot of empty space.

I love my iPad and would not give it up. I am still on the fence as to whether I will upgrade to the iPad 2G or not.
                                                            Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• mjb
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Apple confirms March 2 event, which will surround the next iPad.

- Mike

Main System:
                                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

I monitored an online live blog that covered the iPad 2 release. I'm interested in the product, and REALLY, REALLY want to like it. Unfortunately, from what I gather, NONE of my concerns listed above (in post # 13) are solved by the new iPad 2. (i.e. phone capability, ability to play movie discs, too big for a pocket but too small for effective typing, document storage/transfer, etc, etc) Unfortunately, it doesn't even have the HD "retina" screen that I was hoping they'd add to it.

So from what I gather from the launch, the iPad 2 adds:
                                                                1. New case/form/design
                                                                2. Thinner (even thinner than the iPhone 4!!!)
                                                                3. Lighter
                                                                4. Faster
                                                                5. Now has both front and rear cameras (which now enables Facetime and HD video)

But beyond that, I'm not actually seeing any new features or capabilities. The other things they talked about in the launch are new accessories (smart cover, and HDMI adapter, which is cool), update 4.3 to the OS, and new Apps. Those are great, but what about actually upgrading the iPad itself? Other than the new case/design, I think you could really call this the iPad 1.5, or maybe "iPad GS".

ARRRRRRGHHHHH.... Apple, I actually *WANT* to like and need this product! Help me out here, and make the iPad better! Do I really need to wait a whole 'nuther YEAR for the iPad 3?
                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2010

Well,,,,,,they made it cheaper which is going to destroy the competition. They make no mention of the memory size of this new gadget. But Chris yes,,,,,, I agree with all your statements above. It's nice they added a camera though?.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

OK Chris, here's your post 13
                                                                    It's too big to bring to the gym, and even less convenient to plug into my car. Would be much smaller for watching movies, and doesn't have a disc drive for DVD/BD's. No keyboard for typing, so only marginally better for typing E-mails than my iPhone. Can't store/transfer documents, much less work on them. Can't run programs like my laptop. Can't make phone calls. (but I'd be more open to an iPad if you could, like with a bluetooth headset)
                                                                    1. Watching movies: The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big?!? I've seen plenty of people using them on planes and IMO the size is perfect.

2. No Disk reader: what are DVD's? Apple would have you buy them from iTunes, or you can rip your own on another PC - the iPad is not a PC replacement.

3. Keyboard: on screen... thats the idea... can pair with a physical bluetooth keyboard though.

4. Store/transfer docs: store, yes. Transfer, you're stuck with emailing them out, and emailing or syncing them from your PC in (as with music, films, etc).

5. Running programs: no, not like your laptop because the OS is different. The AppStore seems to have pretty much everything covered though.

6. Phone calls: VoIP apps are supported, including Skype. Its not a mobile phone though - mind you, you'd look pretty silly holding an iPad to your ear.

7. Bluetooth: headsets and keyboards supported.

I don't own an iPad myself, but I've spoken to many who do, and now they wouldn't be without one. It seems to be one of those products you don't get until you own one.

I use a lot of big PDF reference books at work, and I think an iPad would be perfect to quickly search and access them, and present the info in an easy readable manor. Not to mention, its far easier to carry than a 12lb Dell with charger, who's battery is invariably flat, or needs gigs worth of windows security updates before its useable, in a moment of crisis.

Apple have been very clever with the OS, there is no file-system as such, everything is synced back and forth in iTunes. For people coming from C:\ this might be hard to grasp at first, but I'm told its pretty intuitive when you get used to it. The only exception is a USB dongle and a SD card reader dongle accessories so you can hook a digital camera up directly to it.

Otherwise, who can complain about smaller, lighter, faster, and HD video for the same price?? If nothing more its a wow! remote control for that itunes server at home!
                                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2004

I monitored an online live blog that covered the iPad 2 release. I'm interested in the product, and REALLY, REALLY want to like it. Unfortunately, from what I gather, NONE of my concerns listed above (in post # 13) are solved by the new iPad 2. (i.e. phone capability, ability to play movie discs, too big for a pocket but too small for effective typing, document storage/transfer, etc, etc) Unfortunately, it doesn't even have the HD "retina" screen that I was hoping they'd add to it.

So from what I gather from the launch, the iPad 2 adds:
                                                                      1. New case/form/design
                                                                      2. Thinner (even thinner than the iPhone 4!!!)
                                                                      3. Lighter
                                                                      4. Faster
                                                                      5. Now has both front and rear cameras (which now enables Facetime and HD video)

But beyond that, I'm not actually seeing any new features or capabilities. The other things they talked about in the launch are new accessories (smart cover, and HDMI adapter, which is cool), update 4.3 to the OS, and new Apps. Those are great, but what about actually upgrading the iPad itself? Other than the new case/design, I think you could really call this the iPad 1.5, or maybe "iPad GS".

ARRRRRRGHHHHH.... Apple, I actually *WANT* to like and need this product! Help me out here, and make the iPad better! Do I really need to wait a whole 'nuther YEAR for the iPad 3?
                                                                      The iPad will likely NEVER be given a phone option (I've spoken to several Apple reps and they all say it would cannibalize sales of the iPhone, so don't hold you're breath). Document storage and transfer are possible over wireless (and any expansion of that functionality will be in that method--Apple wants to move away from third party wired connections like USB/Firewire and so on). The surface size is unlikely to change (though eventually a nicer screen will be in place) as it is a good compromise for all the different functions it can have--e-reader, web browser, document reader/writer (limited in the latter sense, but still available), video viewing (with HDMI output, the need for bigger screen is obviated) and more. As for watching movies on disc, Apple prefers you rent/buy from iTunes. They also, correctly, believe that people will prefer the convenience of download/streaming at 720p on an iPad over a 1080p screen to allow blu-ray watching at full-resolution (similar to mp3 vs lossless CD) because, at that screen size, 1080p is unnecessary AND people won't have to lug around discs.

As for memory (to madmac), the versions are the same as the first one--16, 32 and 64 gig flash drives. Prices remain unchanged from the first model, so with a faster processor, added cameras, updated OS and HDMI capability, it is more for your money.

I wanted to see USB and/or Firewire to allow me to plug in an external drive with audio and video (at the very least) and use a disc drive. But if it isn't on the new one, I think it will never be there. Apple wants people to use Mobile Me as their "external drive" in "the cloud". At its current cost of 100$/yr or so, it won't work. Rumour has it that MobileMe is about to become free (or very nearly so), though.

Not the model for storage and media use that I would prefer, but one that is coming nonetheless.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Now is a good time to pick up an iPad 1! Following the announcement of the iPad 2, Apple have dropped prices on first-generation iPads to as little as $399 for new models, or $349 for refurbished ones. Prior to Wednesday though a new iPad 1 cost a minimum of $499, or as much as $829 for a 64GB 3G version.
                                                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

madmac, the memory and prices are exactly the same as the iPad 1. (just more reason I think this is really just iPad 1.5, not iPad 2)

Now, you guys realize that in all the issues that you just addressed, the answers have been "well, the iPad doesn't really do that. Apple wants things to happen another way," or "that's just the way it is with the iPad", or "a compromise is available" (i.e. Skype) or such. That's great, but that doesn't mean that the iPad necessarily meets the needs of users, being me or others. There are definitely people that need the iPad. Me personally, I wish I did, and I wish Apple would add things that meet my needs, but so far it's not, and I can't justify spending $500-850 for a plaything like that. C'este la vie.
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2010
                                                                            • 3122

64 gig??? hehehe....you can practically get that on a USB dongle now!!. Anyhow, I think there's a market for these 'tablets' but the one that completely penetrates the market will have the features that Chris above is looking for. This is not an impossible task to be honest. Apple is marketing these Ipads at a younger audience that wants to just stream and watch YouTube videos.

That being said, them lowering the price to 499 bucks is going to kick the competitions butt......PERIOD. They will do well no matter what now!.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 1483

#39
                                                                              Apple is marketing these Ipads at a younger audience that wants to just stream and watch YouTube videos.
                                                                              Who also have a much better idea of just where the web is going than some of the "older" generation.
                                                                              - Mike

Main System:
                                                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 16075

#40
                                                                                That being said, them lowering the price to 499 bucks is going to kick the competitions butt......PERIOD. They will do well no matter what now!.
                                                                                The price of the base model version has been 499.... since it was released originally.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2004
                                                                                  • 2202

#41
                                                                                  Not in Canada. But since the Canadian dollar is now at par with (or slightly higher than) the US dollar, we're getting "a break".

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 16075

#42
                                                                                    Oh ok

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Dec 2000
                                                                                      • 16877

#43
                                                                                      madmac, as I said, storage memory and pricing for each model remains exactly the same as the first iPad.
                                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2007
                                                                                        • 3814

#44
                                                                                        Yeah that is a bit of a surprise on the pricing. Also I don't see where you can buy the first iPad on the Apple website anymore.
                                                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 1483

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by impala454
                                                                                          Yeah that is a bit of a surprise on the pricing. Also I don't see where you can buy the first iPad on the Apple website anymore.
                                                                                          Shop the latest Apple products, accessories and offers. Compare models, get expert shopping help, plus flexible payment and delivery options.

Scroll down to the bottom left, there's a section "Special Deals"....
                                                                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"