X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Old vs New PS3

What are the real differences between the two. I don't use it for gaming at all. Just blu ray and media server. Someone told me the old one has x amount of CPU cores and there all enabled. And the new has the same amount of cores but some are disabled. Also what are the "hi end" differences? Like its sound and video performance vs the new guy. And does anyone know of some good ps3 audio cables? As you can see by my signature I don't have a surround pro. Currently I'm going HDMI to the tv and anologue rca's to the pre amp. Thanks for your help!
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

CPU's should be the same. The motherboard is likely a little different and should have less issues, other then that really it should only be smaller? But I'm not entirely sure.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Beyond removing some of the extra features (memory card reader, extra USB ports), the system is pretty much the same. The HDs in the new ones are a little bit faster, the processor and BD drive are a slight bit faster...but unless the old and new are side by side, you'd never really notice the difference.

In order to do HDMI and analog you'd have to buy a converter box that would allow for analog out, PS3 does not allow that (nor is there any cables that I know of that can do that). Only thing you also can do is HDMI and SPDIF out then convert the SPDIF to analog (again through a box that will do that).

Otherwise you are forced to the component + analog outs... which I think the new PS3s don't even have the component out anymore.... I'm not 100% positive on that, but I thought I saw there was going to be HDMI only. But if there is the Sony analog port then best you can do is Component video and analog.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

So the processors should be exactly the same, although I would imagine Sony has adapted their production line over the years. You *should* get the same audio/video/gaming performance between the two.

So differences will depend on the model, like how many USB ports there are (up to 4), the hard drive size, and such. Some of the older models had SACD capability. The old "fat" PS3 also had card reader slots under the hood flap. Some older models also had PS2 game backwards compatability.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

The newer one's have more internal memory but the older one's look much nicer in their slick piano black.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Both identical for blu-ray movie purposes.
            The newer ones do run cooler because:
            - No Emotion chipset (the chipset used to run PS2 games)
            - Smaller cpu consumes less power
            - No more built-in AC adapter. The newer one use a AC brick.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Huh... are you sure? I also have a slim PS3, and I'm virtually positive that it only has a power cord.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                Huh... are you sure? I also have a slim PS3, and I'm virtually positive that it only has a power cord.
                +1, I'm sure mine does not have a power brick.
                If you use it only for movie playback the 2 benefits of the new one are:
                1 Runs slightly cooler.
                2 Runs slightly quieter.

If you already have an old model there is no need to "upgrade", better use the money to buy more movies and/or a bigger HD.
                Ivan.
                My Statement monitors

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Hmm... interesting. So why do I have a brick? Maybe just the Japanese model???
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Silver1omo
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by audioqueso
                    Hmm... interesting. So why do I have a brick? Maybe just the Japanese model???
                    Probably...
                    The only change I see between my fat and slim is that the slim uses 2 prong cable and the fat 3 prong.
                    This a pic of how it looks (not mine...)

Also, you can actually use the "standard" A/V cables for analog audio out and the HDMI for video out. I used to do that with my old HT setup.

Also there is a third benefit of the slim models, they use a bit less power than the old fat ones.
                    Ivan.
                    My Statement monitors

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

But....the old fat one's are simply beautiful!!.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

They are only beautiful until you touch it maybe twice. Then it's scratched to hell and smudged like crazy.

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
                          They are only beautiful until you touch it maybe twice. Then it's scratched to hell and smudged like crazy.
                          Scratched???.....humm.....your fault I suppose!!. Smudged??.......well, you wipe it down. Mine looks like the day it was bought!!. :W

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"