X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Building a new HTPC

Wow, it's been quite some time since I've posted outside of TTP/Homebrew!

So I'm building a HTPC with new and used parts, and would like to get as many opinions as possible on what I should be doing to achieve my intentions.

This device will initially be used with my 52" Sony 1920x1080 LCD (for both audio and video), although later this year I plan to integrate a home theater audio system featuring 5.1 channels. I would like to perform all of the video and audio processing on the HTPC, and the only source will be the HTPC itself.

I'm hoping to pick up an efficient class D amp (possibly Rotel) to power the five channels, and if possible would like to bypass an external pre-amp using just the HTPC.

To start, my proposed system would be the following...

SilverStone GD05B Micro-ATX HTPC Case
    Quiet 600W PS (Recycled)
    Intel Media Series DG45ID Motherboard (Recycled)
    Intel 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo (Recycled)
    Crucial 2x2GB DDR2 RAM (Recycled)
    Crucial 64GB SSD (For OS and Software)
    Samsung 12X BD Drive w/Cyberlink Software
    Windows 7 Home 64 Bit
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard w/Integrated Trackpad

In addition, I do have a GeForce 9800GT if needed, and the SilverStone can fit two additional 3.5" HDD for media. If the GMA X4500HD can't handle BD playback as Intel advertises, I will add the 9800GT into the system. If I find the 9800GT too loud, I might reduce chipset fan speed a bit and if still too loud, I will go for a fan-less card.

Anything I'm blatantly doing wrong? How have others handled the audio side of things... interfacing to amplifiers etc...
    ~Nick
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

If you get a video card with HDMI output and have a Pre that handles HDMI then you're all set for Audio.

You can also get a audio card that outputs SPDIF (though then you can't go lossless DD & DTS), you can use the audio output from the sound card into your Pre.

There's a bunch of options and it just depends on what works best for you. HDMI as a transport layer works really well if your Processor can handle it.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

How about sound options for going directly from the HTPC to an Amp?
      ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Direct to amp as in 2 channel? If 2 channel I'd recommend a nice USB DAC or something. For HDMI I'd recommend a fanless Geforce GTX 520. It'll support all bit streaming formats and LPCM (inside of windows anyways, although linux is coming around very shortly) over HDMI all 8 channels. They are pretty cheap as well.

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I'm planning to use the HTPC as my only source, and would like to use it for 5.1 decoding/processing. Are there good options for going analog out from the HTPC and directly to a 5-channel amplifier (obv. using the HTPC as volume control too)?
          ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

There are some options that are pretty decent, none that are cheap though. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for? If you want great SQ then going to need something that's decent I'd say. I'd probably go with an Auzentek X-Fi Prelude if I were trying to go analog out, it even has the ability to swap op-amps to tweak it and what not. But I think it's like 199 bucks? At least it WAS, not sure about now.

Actually looking around it might be harder to find the X-Fi Prelude now? It was based on the Creative X-Fi chip but they did a MUCH better job with it then Creative did.

Another option is probably the Asus Xonar line, a lot of people seem to like them? I'm not sure if they are on the audiophile level though?

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ok I guess the new Meridian 7.1 2G is supposed to be a pretty nice step up and looking at the specs it uses some pretty nice DAC's so that might be a really nice option.

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Hmmm... all will require adapters to accept RCA plugs.

Kind of strange that no one sells a decent audio card with 5.1 analog output via RCA.

Perhaps there is too much distribution between hardware and software.
                ~Nick

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Considering I was going for a Class D amp for efficiency, perhaps I'll include an inexpensive Receiver in the mix to start. My motherboard has HDMI 1.3 out (and according to Intel is fully capable of processing BD content at 1920x1080), so I guess this option is top of the list when I integrate the 5.1 setup into the mix.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Also check to see what kind of audio interfaces your onboard HDMI supports, generally thats the big difference now days. A lot of the older stuff will only do 2 channel LPCM and none of the newer formats or some other strange things. Like I said depends on what you're trying to do with it I guess.

I think there are some M-Audio cards that have RCA outputs, but pretty much anything else is going to be a headphone style jack because that's what computer speakers have. Granted those cards really aren't intended for computer speakers? But that's the standard...

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nick M
                      Hmmm... all will require adapters to accept RCA plugs.

Kind of strange that no one sells a decent audio card with 5.1 analog output via RCA.

Perhaps there is too much distribution between hardware and software.
                      Most cards as Dougi pointed out will use mini jacks as that's simply what will fit in the space (without using a breakout cable).

That said you can get cables with a standard RCA on one end mini jacks on the other. I'm sure Doug could even make you some

Otherwise, my brother does exactly what you're looking at. He uses his HTPC as a source and pre/pro. There no reason not to really.
                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Oh and FYI the current "D" Rotel's are not terribly well reviewed... The Pioneer "D" receivers are though....
                        Jason

Comment

• Nick M
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

I think I may just do the AVR route. This is going to be for HT and casual listening, so I'm much less concerned about absolute eyes-closed perfection. While I've used separates for close to 10 years now, AVRs certainly have a convenience factor and there are some transitions I would like to make with this setup.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to cover a few of the things...

With my previous systems, I often found that the setup was more important than the components. This custom installation will focus on these factors that I have come to find critical for my enjoyment.

I want sound that seems to come from the surroundings themselves. This is largely psychoacoustics, but it's also positioning for proper stereo/imaging and minimization of interference from objects within the room. With in-walls I will obviously sacrifice ultimate accuracy due to diffraction, but at the same time I will gain the environmental aspects I desire (and have experienced in quality in-wall HT setups). I think the in-wall issue would be less of a requirement if I had a very large room where the ratio of cabinet dimensions to room dimensions was smaller, but my space will be about 12' deep and 16' wide (and yes, I prefer a wide room to a long one).

Next on the list is screen type/size. I've used an HD projector before, but I hated the requirement that the room be dark. In anything but near-absolute darkness, the image never had the vivid pop I desired. Our new setup will also serve as our living room - which is located in a room with many windows overlooking our property. I enjoy watching movies without undergoing light-control preparations, and so I'll be sticking with our 52" LCD for now. In the future I may move to a 70"+ screen as they get better. I found my previous screen size/viewing distance preference to be 84" at 10', so this will be smaller than desired but more acceptable for the space it exists within. I also prefer the worse blacks of LCDs over the strange glow of plasmas that I experience.

Bass is super important, and this setup will have an over the top DIY installation that can dig into the 10-15Hz range. I like a setup that essentially acts like a corvette in the parking lot of a grocery store - kept in check with the surroundings but with oodles of headroom. Having overkill potential has always seemed to create the smoothest/effortless quality I crave. Room correction technology will be a must.

So those are some of the goals in this setup... sound that emanates from the environment rather than a stage, a crisp image in daylight, and bass response that seems to start somewhere under the house.

For sources I will be using the BD drive, some ripped audio files, and NetFlix/Hulu+ streams. No cable, satellite, or gaming systems.
                          ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

The Pioneer Elite receivers use the ICE amps and because of that they generally are a bit closer to a separate route because the ICE amps don't take a lot of current from the main power supply that runs the pre/pro parts. Also the higher end models have pretty nice discrete PSU's for each section there by separating them even more. I'm not saying it's as good as separates, but out of all the receivers I'd say it probably comes the closest other then using a receiver with outboard amps.

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

I think I'm going to go with something pretty cheap to start, maybe a lower end Yamaha or Sony.

Perhaps the STR-DN1010 which can be had for about $200. It has HDMI 1.4 in/out (and switching which I wont need), decoding for the most up to date Dolby/DTS formats, auto-calibration setup, and 100Wx7 which I'm sure will be fine for sensitive two driver in-walls crossed over at 60-80Hz. I'm also weary of unloading lots of cash for one of these AVRs given previous experiences I've had with mass-produced consumer electronics. This cheap unit also has a reasonably attractive look void of excessive knobs and buttons.

~Nick

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Well, since I won't be using my Rotel separates I've posted them in the Pawn Shop at a reasonable price. I tried squeezing them in my future workshop on the desk to power my Signatures as computer speakers (LOL), but that was just ridiculous... :lol:

I'm contemplating letting the signatures go as well since they'll just be boxed up and stored.

Anyhoo, I guess part of gaining a new system is letting go of the old system. This must be what it feels like to give ones daughter away in marriage... :rofl:
                                ~Nick

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

I’m usually suspicious of celebrity endorsements of audio gear (think Dr. Dre’s association with the Beats headphones bearing his name). But the Air Studios logo on the front panel of this attractive-looking, innovative flagship Pioneer Elite A/V receiver represents more than a casual association.

According to a Pioneer spokesperson, engineers working at the famed recording facility started in 1969 by Beatles producer George Martin were actively engaged from the beginning in the sonic outcome of the SC-57’s designed-from-scratch Class D amplifiers, of which there are (count ‘em) nine inside.

Measurement and listening-based feedback from Air’s engineering team helped tune the switching-mode amp’s final sound. Numerous prototypes shuttled back and forth between Pioneer and the studio—an enormous multiroom venue where, appropriately, many famous orchestral soundtracks have been recorded through the decades. I toured Air a few years ago, and it’s an impressive, even awe-inspiring facility.

I could spend the entire review talking just about this three-zone unit’s ultra-flexible configurability, its wealth of features, and the dizzying amount of functionality (some of it actually useful) included in its $2,100 package, and I’ll get to most of that shortly. But what’s the value of bells and whistles if the power plant is weak and sounds bad? So, first things first.

The Sonic Back Story
                                  As some readers know, Pioneer is among a small number of audio manufacturers releasing highpowered AVRs or amplifiers featuring Class D circuit topology. Among its chief benefits, Class D features a cool-running and energy-saving efficiency that its Class A/B and Class A brethren don’t share. Last year’s generation, called ICEpower, appeared in the Elite SC-27, reviewed by my colleague Fred Manteghian (Home Theater, March 2010), and it earned an enthusiastic Home Theater Top Picks. More recently, I reviewed Rotel’s RMB-1575 Class D amplifier (November 2010) and found it seriously wanting in terms of sound quality.

The SC-57’s release was delayed for two years by the combination of Air Studios’ involvement in the project and the introduction of new, ultra-low-distortion International Rectifier switching devices that held the promise of creating a low-distortion amp with little or no negative feedback. Waiting for the new semiconductor was key, as the high-frequency filters that previous-generation switching-mode designs used in their distortion-lowering feedback loops were said to cause signal delay that produced phase shift, among other audible problems. Pioneer engineers thought taming the negative feedback could translate into a noticeable leap in sound quality.

According to Pioneer, this new design, which has been dubbed Class D3 amplification, behaves more like a good Class A/B amp. There’s a bit more distortion at very low power output, and distortion decreases as the output increases, until, finally, distortion increases again as you approach maximum output. Thus, distortion is minimized at levels where most listening occurs.

While the story sounded good, I remained skeptical, and not just because of my recent experience with the Rotel. The amplifier power specs in the SC-57’s owner’s manual seemed a little sketchy: Multichannel simultaneous power output was listed as 810 watts total at 1 kilohertz, with 1 percent distortion driving an 8-ohm load. Continuous power for each amplifier channel claimed to be 140 watts at 1 kHz with 0.08 percent distortion into 8 ohms. Neither was specified across the full 20-hertz-to-20-kHz bandwidth. So, loosely speaking, the AVR is specified to output 90 watts per channel, all nine channels driven simultaneously. But at lower distortion figures and across the entire bandwidth, its output might be somewhat lower.

If it performs as claimed, 140 watts times nine is an impressive amount of power for $2,100. This is especially so considering that rarely, if ever, will you drive all channels simultaneously and continuously. This 39-pound, reasonably compact AVR (heavily weighed down on its left side by a massive power transformer) should be able to effectively drive just about any loudspeaker you’re likely to mate it with. As usual, you can check our test bench measurements to see how the SC-57 fared in the Home Theater Lab. (Ed. Note: With seven channels driven simultaneously and continuously, the Pioneer achieved 109.6 watts at 0.1 percent distortion and 123.7 watts at 1 percent distortion. Of course, this test places significantly greater demands on the amplifier than any real-world content. See HT Labs Measures)

Mind-Boggling Feature Set
                                  The THX Ultra2 Plus–Certified SC-57 decodes about every codec known to mankind and also includes a long list of Pioneer’s own listening modes for music and cinema. You can configure its nine channels of amplification to reproduce front height or width channels in addition to L/C/R, surrounds, and surround back for a total of 11 speaker connections, plus two subwoofers. There aren’t enough channels to run front simultaneous height and width speakers with this arrangement, but you can easily switch between them thanks to dedicated terminals for each. Or you can rejoin the real world and leave room for pictures on the walls.

You can also run 7.2 channels and use the extra two channels to run a remote set of speakers in another zone, or you can run 7.2 channels and biamp the front left and right channels should your speakers allow that. The instruction manual shows two more pages of speaker setup possibilities, in part because there are remote zones to consider.

In a nod to the resurgence of vinyl, the Pioneer includes an integrated moving-magnet phono preamplifier. Also included are a conventional AM/FM tuner with 63 presets and a Sirius Radio tuner port. Via the Ethernet LAN connection (wired or wireless using an optional accessory), you get Internet radio plus music services that include Rhapsody (free 30-day trial), Pandora, and Sirius (Internet subscriptions cost extra if you’re a satellite subscriber, or you can purchase them separately). A front-mounted USB port can play MP3s or show photos on a memory stick. It’s also iPod/iPad compatible, so you can connect your iDevice via the included cable and control it with the Pioneer’s remote. In addition, the SC-57 incorporates a Bluetooth receiver input, so you can stream music from Bluetooth-equipped music sources.

The Home Media Gallery also supports DLNA network devices if you do Windows. I don’t, but it supports up to 192-kHz/24-bit FLAC file streaming, which Mac does not.

On the video side, the Pioneer incorporates Marvell’s highly regarded Qdeo video processor, while the room correction software and setup is Pioneer’s proprietary MCACC. Like most setup/room correction schemes, MCACC uses a supplied microphone and test tones to automatically calculate speaker size and location. It also corrects for a variety of room and speaker issues. MCACC graphs each parameter’s changes, and you can make manual adjustments afterward in the GUI.

Download the instruction manual from Pioneer’s Website, and you’ll see that this AVR offers even more features and functionality that space won’t let me describe. It’s really chock full.

A Smart Smartphone App
                                  Pioneer’s phone app for iPhone and Android (also available for iPad) is both functional and video-game-like. Describing it completely would also take up more space than we have, but basically you can: adjust volume by spinning a large, blue LEDringed virtual dial, select input, choose at the push of the touchscreen any of the mind-numbing listening mode choices, and monitor and adjust video processing modes. That means you can use your phone’s touchscreen to see the effects of switching a plethora of video processing features on and off in real time—instead of having to first lose the picture to access the GUI.

And that’s the functionality in but one of four sectors available through the app. In the Emphasis sector, you can choose Dialogue, Bass, or Finger EQ. When you tilt the phone, you can increase or decrease the prominence and dynamics of the dialogue channel or the output of the subwoofer. In the Finger EQ feature, you can adjust a nine-band EQ curve with your finger and save it (along with others you create) to memory for instant recall. Another sector called Balance lets you move within a circle, a virtual bubble level that can change the front/back and left/right balance. Trust me, you’ll love this app.

Setup and Use
                                  Unfortunately, Pioneer’s instruction manual for this AVR, like that for so many other receivers out there, is unsatisfactory. Diagrams are small, and the writing is filled with clumsy passive-tense construction that’s sometimes difficult if not impossible to decipher. Download the manual and read for yourself. If you do, check page 32, section 3 of the Full Auto MCACC room correction feature (“Select the parameters you want to set”), and tell me what it means.

Pioneer includes an innovative interactive AVNavigator CDROM that guides you through the wiring and connection the first time you use it. You can also use this to perform setup from a network-connected computer, and it can act as the remote control. The software is Windows only, though an iPad version is said to be on the way.

I like to first try setting up an A/V receiver or surround processor without using the instructions to see how intuitive it is. For instance, I could fully set up and operate the Marantz AV7005 (Home Theater, April 2011) without the manual. That wasn’t possible here—and not because of the Pioneer’s enhanced functionality and feature set.

The GUI and the back-panel layout are neither as user friendly nor as intuitive as those that some other brands offer. For example, the inputs aren’t numbered in the GUI and are strangely ordered on the back panel. HDMI inputs 1 and 2 are on the back panel, but 3 is on the front. The one adjacent to 2 on the back panel is 4. The subsequent ones are pre-assigned and named for BD, DVD, DVR, etc. Most products put the pre-assigned inputs first, which makes more sense to me.

I also found other aspects of the GUI less than intuitive, but space won’t permit me to further elucidate. Just consider this fair warning that, even if you know what you’re doing, you might find yourself plodding through the initial setup.

Those issues aside, once you’ve figured out the system and have gotten everything configured, using the SC-57—particularly with the smartphone app—is relatively enjoyable. As with many other AVRs, the main programmable backlit remote contains too many small, similarly sized buttons. However, once you’ve tried the phone app, you’ll be on to that anyway.

Three more small nit-picks: While the front-panel display is generously sized, the graphics are too small to be of any use unless you’re seated close to the display. Pioneer also seemingly saved some money by not recessing the controls that are behind the front-panel door. I found that if you close the door too forcefully, you can accidentally change inputs or other parameters. Finally, while the iPod function worked flawlessly through the USB port, the port wouldn’t play a USB stick with FLAC and MP3 files of the entire Beatles catalog, despite it working fine in the Marantz AV7005. FLAC is among the SC-57’s supported files, but it didn’t work with these, and the unit showed the stick as empty.

Warm, Coherent Sound
                                  Whether I ran it through the MCACC setup routine or not, the SC-57 produced noticeably warm, rich, coherent sound that was very well controlled on both top and bottom. An experienced listener might note an exceptionally well-damped, tight bottom end and a dry, less than fully extended and airy top end—and perhaps figure out pretty quickly that this isn’t Class A/B amplification. But even a hardened audiofool like me came away from a few weeks spent with the SC-57 very impressed and enthused about the future of Class D in this application. Still, in a vinyl-based two-channel system, I’ll still stick with Class A/B and Class A, thank you. (Speaking of vinyl, the moving-magnet input was also surprisingly good.)

To summarize, the Class D sound here definitely differs from what I’d expect from a good Class A/B amplifier, particularly in terms of air, extension, liquidity, and especially decay length. But the differing characteristics produced great clarity and solidity, and the leading edge of transients were free of undesirable etch and hardness that have plagued some other Class D designs. Stage coherence, whether in stereo or surround, was among the best I’ve heard from any AVR at any price, and instrumental body and weight were positively meaty.

To give you some idea, an audiophile friend came over during my audition. While I played a three-track RCA Living Stereo reissue on SACD, he stood waiting on the landing a half level below the living room, where he couldn’t even see the speakers. “Wow, that piano has such body!” he exclaimed, which is exactly what I’d been saying to myself a few minutes before he arrived. Imaging was unusually precise, both in stereo and surround mixes, perhaps giving credence to claims of the SC-57’s emphasis on maintaining phase coherence. This was clearly evident on two-channel and surround sound music or movies.

The surround Dark Side of the Moon SACD was noticeably darker than I’ve become accustomed to. The bells sounded more burnished and richer than before, and the coin sound effect was also less clangy. But the quality of the transient attack rang true and didn’t sound at all softened.

In some ways, the combination of the amps and the MCACC room correction produced the most coherent and pleasing sound I’ve yet heard from my Sonics by Joachim Gerhard speaker system. The bit of metallic overlay I’m used to hearing was replaced by a velvety, warm character.

The sound was drier, darker, and less airy than I’m accustomed to with my reference system. There was also less of what I’d call mechanical artifacts that I sometimes hear with my speakers, which use metal-cone drivers. I don’t believe that metal-coned and -domed drivers sound metallic, or that paper ones sound papery, or that ceramic ones sound like Corningware. Still, my speakers, good as they are, do exhibit a slight leading-edge artifact that sounds metallic. Whatever the cause, the SC-57’s setup software and/or amp characteristics tamed it to a remarkable degree. Along with producing smoother overall sound, this helped to create a coherent soundstage across the front of the room that completely hid the location of the three speakers and left no holes between them.

The effect on the center-channel speaker was transformative. Regardless of the quality of the incoming signal (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc.), voices sounded more realistic through this system than through any other, including my reference, which includes a Parasound Halo A 51 five-channel amplifier that costs more than twice the price of the SC-57 alone. Chest, throat, and mouth were in perfect balance, although I suspect this was at the cost of some air and upper-frequency detail in the recording.

I watched Jonathan Demme’s masterful and talky Rachel Getting Married (recommended). Despite its rapidity, the dialogue was remarkably well articulated and easy to understand. During the few parts where it was less than fully understandable, I angled my smartphone. This subtly brought the center channel forward in the mix with both increased volume and dynamics. A button-push returned it to normal. When musical guest Robyn Hitchcock sang, his voice sounded noticeably natural, clear, three-dimensional, and free of glaze.

I couldn’t fault the bass performance, either. Extension was full, combined with well-damped and controlled bass transients and rhythmic dexterity. The MCACC’s subwoofer setup was the best I’ve heard from any automatic software. I couldn’t have dialed it in better myself. I’ll take the SC-57’s somewhat airless and less-than-exuberant top-end performance anytime over some of the bright- and thin-sounding electronics I’ve heard in recent years.

Conclusion
                                  If you can get past the less than user-friendly GUI and instruction manual and the unintuitive first-time setup and make it a point to tap the smartphone app, you’ll find that using the SC-57 is a pleasure. And while Pioneer’s MCACC setup and room correction software may have an ungainly name, its effectiveness is impressive, even transformative.

This AVR’s nine-channel, three-zone capabilities (including HD component video available to Zone 2) offer unparalleled setup flexibility. If your speakers can be biamped, I’d bet the sonic improvement would be noticeable. The system’s somewhat dark character will work better with speakers that are either bright or relatively flat on top and less well with already dark speakers that tend roll off the highs. But whatever your speakers’ tonal character, there should be more than sufficient power to drive them to their full dynamic potential.

As an old stalwart, I still prefer a good Class A/B amp. But the Pioneer Elite SC-57’s Class D amp is so good that in some ways it’s more a matter of different than better or worse. I can understand why some might prefer its sonic character. In the end, the SC-57 offers a lot of everything—including great sound—at a very reasonable price.
                                  It also has a little brother:

Jason

Comment

• Nick M
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Unfortunately I think both of those AVRs are a wee-bit out of my price range (considering I'll be rebuilding the entire room). I'm also a bit skeptical about his comments regarding negative feedback and amplifier design based on my experience designing IC amplifiers in the lab at school.

Considering that I have a small/medium room, sensitive speakers that don't require a lot of power, and the fact that they'll be crossed over at a frequency that will relieve them of heavy power consumption, I'm hoping a lower-end 7-channel AVR will be sufficient driving 5 speakers with the above considerations.

What does everyone use for software for A/V playback?
                                    ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

XBMC here, but I haven't liked it much in Windows. I run a linux stand alone version of it called OpenELEC, but some things with the linux version aren't quite working yet although I have heard blu-ray playback is working? Not entirely sure on that part. Either way I think you're looking to run Windows.

Unfortunately I don't know anything that's better then XBMC haha, there are lots of options that do similar things, just not as good as XBMC done it, and I've tried them all. Honestly I think the next best thing is Windows Media Center. It takes a bit of hacking to get everything working, and it doesn't play blu-ray native either but you can set it up to launch a program like PowerDVD similar to XBMC.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Nick M
                                        What does everyone use for software for A/V playback?
                                        VLC for movies (it will play ANYTHING and well) and Winamp for flac audio files. Those are my primary media software.

Embrace your inner fan, subscribe to your favorite artists to get Winamp-exclusive content.
                                        Jason

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                          • Sep 2010

I also use VLC, but it does not work with DVD menus, so I usually use the PS3 for DVD/BR playback. For music I use foobar2000.
                                          Ivan.
                                          My Statement monitors

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

There are better options then VLC. It depends what file formats you're using though.

Comment

• Nick M
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

I'll be primarily using NetFlix and Hulu+ through web-browsers, but we also own/rent BD quite a bit. Of course we also have a standard DVD library that we choose from now and then as well.

I'll take a look at those programs guys, thx.
                                              ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Well then you'll likely want to use PowerDVD Ultra. It really handles BD's best. And probably want to use Windows MCE because it's got the best Netflix integration.

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Silver1omo
                                                  I also use VLC, but it does not work with DVD menus, so I usually use the PS3 for DVD/BR playback. For music I use foobar2000.

To Play a CD, VCD or a DVD, open the File menu, and select the Open Disc... menu item. In the Open Disk Dialog Box, select the type of media (DVD, VCD or Audio CD). When reading a DVD, you can enable DVD menus by selecting the DVD (menus) Disc type in the wxWidgets Interface. In the MacOS X interface, this can be done by selecting the "Use DVD menus" dialog box.
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Nick M
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

So for my needs it's definitely looking like PowerDVD Ultra which is only $60.

I've used CyberLink software in the past and found it to work fine. Most of the retail BD drives seem to come with a copy (stripped down usually), so I'll start with that I guess. The latest versions of PowerDVD also seem to be compatible with Android devices which is pretty cool!

Still planning the system out though.
                                                    ~Nick

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

I believe PowerDVD can incorporate it self into Windows Media Center and when you put in a BD it'll automatically launch PowerDVD full screen when you go to play it or something of the sorts. Maybe it's a bit more incorporated then that but that's how it used to be.

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                                        • Sep 2010

Thanks... I should read the manual... :B
                                                        Ivan.
                                                        My Statement monitors

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

To be fair most actual physical DVD's I let WMP handle. Stuff I rip/compress to my server I play via VLC generally.
                                                          Jason

Comment

• Nick M
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2004

Since selling my Rotel gear to a forum member, I've been given the green light by the wife to purchase my small list of HTPC items. Ordered the SilverStone case, a 64GB Crucial SSD, Fanless GeForce 210 Video Card, Samsung BD-Drive w/Cyberlink, wireless keyboard w/trackpad, and a fresh OEM copy of Windows 7 64 Home. Should have time in a couple weeks to hook it all up and try things out. I'll be holding off on the receiver and in-wall speakers until this summer when I rebuild the room everything will be mounted in. Pictures to come in the next few weeks.
                                                            ~Nick

Comment

• Alaric
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

Interesting Discovery

I have my cable attached to my PC , via a Hauppuage WinTV HVR 1600 , using Media Center for viewing live TV. I was having problems with video and audio dropout , even with current drivers for my graphics and tuner card.
                                                              After noticing a lot of similar issues from other Media Center users I found a thread indicating Media Center buffers everything to the HDD. After going into the BIOS and enabling AHCI the problem vanished. My thinking was that with AHCI the transfer rate from the 32Mb cache would be faster. I don't know if I "figured it out" , but everything works fine now. Thought it might be something to keep in mind with your build.
                                                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                              Schiit Modi 3
                                                              Marantz CD5005
                                                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2004

The new HTPC!
                                                                *Please excuse the temporary installation...

SilverStone Aluminum HTPC Case (w/3x Quiet 120mm Fans)
                                                                Rosewill 80+ 600W Power Supply w/Manual Fan Speed (Recycled)
                                                                Intel Media Series Micro-ATX MOBO (Recycled)
                                                                Intel 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo (Recycled)
                                                                4GB DDR2 RAM (Recycled)
                                                                GeForce 210 Fanless Video Card w/HDMI
                                                                Crucial 64GB SSD
                                                                Samsung 12x Blu-Ray Drive
                                                                Cisco/Linksys AE2500 Wireless Adapter
                                                                Logitech Wireless Keyboard w/Trackpad
                                                                Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)
                                                                CyberLink PowerDVD 11

You can see the micro-adapter in one of the front USB ports for the keyboard. It seems to be more than sufficient for line-of sight use in our living room and open kitchen (although I wouldn't even think about playing a game of StarCraft II with it!). The case and PS fans are silent from the couch, and any faint noise from the CPU fan is rendered inaudible when we have our pellet stove going in the opposite end of the room. BD playback is beautiful, and I can't wait to finish designing/building the rest of our custom room!

Eventually it will be incorporated into a built-in this summer.
                                                                ~Nick

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Oh, and Windows Media Center is still agonizing to use in my opinion for organizing music and playback. I hate how fidgety it is with identifying song tags and directory structures that you manipulate outside of the Media Center interface. I wish you could just set Media Center to bring up the directory structure instead of attempting to interpret various folders in certain ways.

Ah well.
                                                                  ~Nick

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Medis Center is kludgy. I'm using it as a second TV in the bedroom for now , as I have two monitors. I can poke around the web and check email while I run my anti-virus and watch football on Sunday. And I lost the CD for the tuner card and don't want to spend $10 on a new one , LOL. So I'm stuck with their drivers for Media Center.
                                                                    Very nice HTPC! That looks really sharp.
                                                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                                                    Marantz CD5005
                                                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

Cool, Nick. I do love those Silverstone cases.
                                                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

I ended up scrapping the old HTPC to go for something a bit more efficient. Of course my HTPC needs aren't nearly what yours are. But anyways I decided to go with an AMD Fusion Mini-ITX board (MSI) which does all the Audio bitstreaming and stuff that I need as well as HD video, 2GB of DDR3, about the smallest form factor case I could find to fit everything in and I have to mod it a bit to add an IR receiver to the case, a Slim slot loading Blu-ray drive, and an 8GB USB3 flash drive. I'll be running OpenELEC again (I love it what can I say) which when it boots it loads everything into memory and runs from there so the flash drive shouldn't get much use really. All of this was about $250 and should bring my HTPC power draw down from probably 100+ watts to around 20-30 watts.

Comment

Working...
                                                                        😀
                                                                        😂
                                                                        🥰
                                                                        😘
                                                                        🤢
                                                                        😎
                                                                        😞
                                                                        😡
                                                                        👍
                                                                        👎
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"