X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron526
    • Oct 2006

Universal Remote

Any suggestions for a good reasonably priced remote?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Ummmm... well, that's rather ambiguous, depending on your budget to define "reasonably priced", and control needs, to define "good". Your needs and budget could equate to anything from a $30 Radio Shack special, to a $1,000 touch-screen custom job. (admittedly, I think few people would ever call remotes over $1k "reasonably priced", no matter how good we can make them)

There's a general rule of thumb in the remote control world: (of which I'm a part) "You can have your remote control system (1) cheap, (2) reliable, and (3) powerful. You only get 2 of the 3, though... you choose which two."
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ron526
      • Oct 2006

Thanx for the reply.
      It appears that you and Meatloaf agree
      "Two outa 3 ain't bad".

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

You have no idea how many people I run into, that complain about remote systems. (more than just remote controls) They complain about how their remote doesn't perform well, or is flaky. So I'll ask them what they have, and they'll tell me they have a $20 job from Wal-Mart.

Or... they'll list a page-long rundown of features and capabilities they want their remote to have, and then ask where they can get a remote that does all that for $50. Not going to happen. Features cost money, especially when you get into custom programming and/or graphics, which requires a good deal of time and effort from a trained programmer. Some people want it all for free, unfortunately.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• its_bacon12
          • May 2008

Harmony One refub from Tigerdirect cost me $125ish. I got the one year extended warranty plan for an extra $29. Works fantastically

Priced a bit differently now though.

Comment

• Armbender
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by its_bacon12
            Harmony One refub from Tigerdirect cost me $125ish. I got the one year extended warranty plan for an extra $29. Works fantastically

Priced a bit differently now though.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8572&CatId=358
            100% agree...ive had this remote for the past year and it is fantastic...good on the WAF too...my 3 year old can operate it...not to mention the docking station which eliminates batteries...and its outter shell is very durable. like i said, my 3 year old uses it and there are zero scratches or blemishes with it...
            Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• ray5
              • Dec 2008

One of my emitters keeps falling off. I think the adhesive is worn off. Any suggestions what I could do or use?
              Ray

Comment

• cbark
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                You have no idea how many people I run into, that complain about remote systems. (more than just remote controls) They complain about how their remote doesn't perform well, or is flaky. So I'll ask them what they have, and they'll tell me they have a $20 job from Wal-Mart.
                HA! I can't tell you how many times I have ran into that same situation...

For the record, I have had good luck with my old school URC MX-500. Had it for over six years and nobody has complained about how it works. It is getting pretty long in the tooth though, the paint has worn through on the sides. But it still works...

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"