X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Yearly Computer Upgrade!

So getting to my yearly computer upgrade, here's the list of parts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145285 x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185133 x2

The fans are for replacing the stock fans in the case because I don't want the LED fan's. I'm not sure if I'll get the SSD or not.... still considering it. Could end up getting a different one as well. This is subject to slight changes between today and tomorrow depending on if I decide I don't want to spend this much lol. I don't know if I want to spend 375 bucks on a hard drive...I know the performance is there but it's still a heck of alot of money.

Also the video card is my current Nvidia Geforce GTX-260 896mb card. I will eventually add a second one if I still get some lag in the few games I play after the upgrade.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Wow... Scythe fans are overpriced in the states. They are like $10 bucks over here.

Nice upgrades. This is the main reason why I switched to laptops... you can't just upgrade whenever you feel like it. As much as I love my HTPC, the one thing I hate about it is that I CAN upgrade parts whenever I want. ha ha

But it sure looks nice! :B
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Nice!

Might want to get the scythe fans from here...

Cheaper, I've bought most of my fans from them they are quick shipping and most times are good deal on their parts. That way too you can put the money into the SSD! :T

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

But might end up being more with shipping for just 3 fans.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Wow... Scythe fans are overpriced in the states. They are like $10 bucks over here.

Nice upgrades. This is the main reason why I switched to laptops... you can't just upgrade whenever you feel like it. As much as I love my HTPC, the one thing I hate about it is that I CAN upgrade parts whenever I want. ha ha

But it sure looks nice! :B

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Strange, why did you repost the same thing? lol

I'm still undecided on the SSD.... Just gotta decide if I want to spend all that money lol. I just got a new car and want to get a few things for it.

Comment

• 1oldguy
              • Dec 2008

If something feels good once,do it again.

I need a new pc myself.Mine is almost as old as the hills.The gamer in me needs something better.
              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                Strange, why did you repost the same thing? lol
                Hmmm... that was strange. I have no idea why. lol

Originally posted by Dougie085
                I'm still undecided on the SSD.... Just gotta decide if I want to spend all that money lol. I just got a new car and want to get a few things for it.
                Well... do you NEED the SSD speed? I'd say wait until the prices go down. Besides, car stuff is a lot more fun. :T

I bought a new laptop with the Intel i7 Core, and ever since then I've been tempted to redo my HTPC with an i7 cpu. That processor is sooooo nice! But then again... I really don't NEED any more power on my HTPC. I just want it in hopes of making mediaportal run smoother and faster.
                Hey Dougie, do you use MP's xface skin?

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah I may hold off on the upgrade all together and just replace my faulty motherboard........I hate making decisions lol but this new car is putting strain on my wallet and idea's in my head!

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Ok well....I changed my mind and changed up my build a bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227393 x3

Soooo....I was thinking about things tonight and I thought "hey why buy one expensive large SSD, why not get 3 smaller ones and Raid-0 them" I like this idea better

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Huh... very cool. I keep meaning to get up the gumption to spend the money and build a new PC. My desktop PC is over 8 years old now.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Nice stuff.

Re: Scythe fans - I put one in my Stalker II PC after the original case fan crapped out. The Scythe started seizing up after a year or so as well. Maybe just bad luck, or maybe I had gotten a sleeve-bearing one, but after that I replaced it with a cheaper Top Motor ball-bearing fan. I haven't had it long enough to see if it'll stand the test of time, but I'm hopeful. Seems like fans are always crapping out--I replace those more than any other part in a computer over its life span. #2 is power supplies.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Don't think I've ever really had a fan go on me..... actually I had a VGA fan go once from dust build up. I've also only had maybe 2 PSU's at the most go bad. Both were cheaper ones. I may go with a different motherboard on this build as I'm not sure I want to put 300 bucks into a motherboard lol. Also would like to get a nicer more efficient modular PSU, looking at a Seasonic 650 watt. Reading reviews they're supposed to be amazingly nice and the PSU comes in a velvet bag inside the box!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"