What program do you use to rip DVD's, SACD, and DVD-A?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

What program do you use to rip DVD's, SACD, and DVD-A?

I've ripped my entire CD collection to MP3 and Apple Lossless, and have spent quite a bit of time to organize and rate it, as well as buy some additional downloads from iTunes.

I'd like to rip some DVD movies to iTunes, though, to take with me on my iPod and iPhone. I see that there's several programs out there. Since many are free, I'd rather not pay unless a program is REALLY good, but I also don't want to get some freeware if it's going to come with spyware. So what do you guys recommend?

On a related note, I'd also like to rip my SACD and DVD-A collection. Have any of you figured out how to do those?
    Last edited by Chris D; 03 January 2010, 14:40 Sunday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Careful here. Regardless of personal opinion. Ripping encrypted material (DVD, SACD, DVD-A, etc.) is illegal even if for personal use. That is the law as it is written today, and "fair use" has thus far never been a valid legal argument against the DMCA.

That said. For a Mac, MacTheRipper can extract raw PCM or AC3 from DVDs. You can then use ffmpegx and/or Audacity to import/export that to your format of choice. Audacity can also be used to re-mix 5.1 to 2Ch, if you have the time and patience. DTS can be ripped as well, but the only conversion tool I've found is command-line only and a bit of a pain to work with.

I was successful in ripping the 5.1 DTS track Seven Bridges Road from the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over DVD, and then re-mixed it down to 2Ch. Sounds great, but took awhile to perfect.

For SACD and DVD-A (MLP), I think the the only option is D->A->D using a good ($$$) processor.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

SACD can't be ripped as it's a hardware level protection. DVDA can be, but the process is so tedious it will be cheaper just to buy the CD version.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Huh... I thouhgt it was the sharing/distribution that was illegal. i.e. No problem if you just rip your own DVD that you bought, to your own iPod, and don't share with anybody else. Not true?

I use a PC, by the way.

And just so it's clear, in terms of the DVD-Video, I'm interested in ripping the entire movie, both audio and video, for watching on the iPod/iPhone, not just the music. (although there are 1 or 2 DVD's I own that I'd be interested in ripping just the audio for listening to, like U2's Rattle and Hum)
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

According to the DMCA, if you have to break encryption to copy it (true for almost all commercially produced DVDs), it's illegal regardless of intent.
          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Industrial
            • Mar 2009

Wasn't all this hastle one of the reasons SACD never caught on? Well that and some people can't hear the difference between redbook and low quality mp3?

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I use DVD Shrink and DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip my DVD's to my NAS. Both free. DVDFab is probably your best option as it gives you options for ripping straight to portable players etc. DVD Shrink is mostly nice for it's simplicity/ease of use but is more limited in it's function.

I'll have to check the software I've used for ripping my DVD-A to stereo and multichannel flac but I'm pretty sure I got it from a thread on here so try a search as well

SACD you're stuck with ripping the CD layer (if available).

As for legality... basically no lawyers are coming after you if you rip files for your own use and don't share them. That said, it's technically still illegal to break the encryption as mentioned. You'd have to buy one of the mega buck media servers to get around this and even they generally have some sort of limitation etc.
              Jason

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

I've always ripped DVD soundtracks from the player's analog outputs straight into my PC soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 24/96),

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Glen B
                  I've always ripped DVD soundtracks from the player's analog outputs straight into my PC soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 24/96),
                  What do you mean? I don't really understand.
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Hi Chris,

Cough up the dough and buy a proper product such as one from the 1CLICK range: http://www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/index.asp

Don't listen to all that stuff about illegal use. You're obviously using the tool for 100% legitimate purposes.

Nigel.

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Chris,
                      I use Handbrake, available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. It has a number of useful presets, or you can manualy tweak the settings. The RIP can be optimised depending on the target device. I've always had good results with it, and the price is right.

HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder.
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                        Again, you can use handbrake, which is cross platform. Here's a good article on ripping DVD adio tracks: http://www.macworld.com/article/1462...o_ripping.html
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"