X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Nintendo Wii (and Wifi?)

I'm trying to stay away from being a gamer--I waste way too much time on a lot of other things as it is. Haven't owned a gaming console since the original Atari, but I couldn't resist getting a PS3, primarily as a BD player.

Well, my daughter is turning 5 in a couple weeks, and she is more and more into games of different types. My wife has been on me to look into games for her, but the PS3 doen't offer as much for very young children. So I ended up getting a Wii for her birthday here.

So far it's going pretty well, but for some reason I CAN NOT get the thing to connect via its Wifi connection. I have a Linksys WRT300N wireless router, and all my other network devices in the house (maybe 7 wired, 6 wireless) all connect ok. I've tried letting the Wii automatically set the settings. No workie. Tried resetting the Wii, my cable model modem, and the router. No Workie. Tried putting in manual settings I found by accessing the router's menus. No workie. Even tried assigning a static IP address to the Wii, from the router's settings based on the Wii's stated MAC id. No workie.

Can anybody help? Anybody else been able to get a Wii to connect to Wifi?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Is your wireless secured? Are you entering the passphrase into the Wii?

Try disabling security temporarily and see if it connects. Then, if it does, re-enable security, and verify the settings on both ends (same security protocol, same passphrase, etc.).

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I just got one for my wife and had a problem with it as well. I could get the connection test to work, but it wouldn't connect to WiiConnect24 or anything. I ended up having to put in the DNS servers manually.

Check to make sure your router is set to "mixed", the Wii is not compatible with N, only B or G.

You might also verify that you have enough DHCP addresses allowed in the router setup. I think default is something like 50, but doesn't hurt to check.
      Danish

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
        I'm trying to stay away from being a gamer--I waste way too much time on a lot of other things as it is.
        why is it a waste of time if you enjoy it?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Might try the latest firmware on the router. Also try running it in just B/G mode with no N mode. There's a lot of devices out there that do not play nice with any N mode signal (even just connecting at B/G)

Worst case, Nintendo does sell a USB to hardwired ethernet adapter.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Thanks, fellas! I put everything to "auto" settings, except leaving the static IP address assignment from my router, and disabled the security settings. The Wii connected just fine! So I took advantage of having it connected, and downloaded all the latest updates and free channels. Only problem now, is, of course, that I don't want to leave my network unprotected. So when I put the security back into place, what should I do to the Wii so it will connect again?

I've never had a problem with something not connecting because of the security, so this is a new one for me, with the Wii.

Originally posted by Vancouver
            why is it a waste of time if you enjoy it?
            Well... just that there are other things I could be doing that eventually need to get done, and are more productive. Very easy for me to fall in the trap of being a slouch.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Turn the security on your router back on, then set the Wii to use the same security (WPA, WPA2, or what have you), with the same passphrase. See if it connects. If not, try a different scheme (WPA instead of WPA2). Also, make sure there is no MAC filtering set on the router.

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

I've got my router using WPA and my Wii connects fine. The only issue I had (as mentioned above) is that I had to hard code my DNS settings. For some reason they didn't get picked up correctly.
                Danish

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

I believe the Wii does not support the better WPA2 and higher security. I could be wrong on that, but I think people were having problems with some of the security settings and Wii.

You might have to bump it down to WPA or less to allow the Wii access.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I was trying it with WPA-PSK.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Chris,
                      Chance are that it didn't connect with encryption because you're using a 64-bit key. Some wireless routers by default use 128bit key. But a lot use a 64bit key by default. Go to the security option, and change it to 128bit key, and try it again. Wii does not support 64bit keys, although I have seen some of the first versions work with a 64bit key.
                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                        • Jan 2006

Static the IP address for the Wii and put it in the DMZ of your router it will let the Wii circumvent the security while the rest of your networks remains secure.
                        I run WPA/WPA2 security on my network. I have a xbox360, ps3 and a Wii all going online with the security and no problems.
                        I'm using a D-link DGL-4500 router. My bro had a lynksis and had allot of trouble with his gaming consoles getting online and maintaining a good connection. He ended up switching to d-link as well. I had a D-link wbr-1310 to start but I upgraded because my health insurance has a incentive program and I got it and a GoW psp for free. I can check my setting on the wii but I believe I just had it auto detect everything and it took care of everything.
                        I found a website that is all about setting up your router for the various consoles and it's router specific I believe. I'll post a link when I find it again.
                        Last edited by M.Roberts8; 09 January 2009, 08:23 Friday.

Comment

• Allegiance
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
                          Chris,
                          Chance are that it didn't connect with encryption because you're using a 64-bit key. Some wireless routers by default use 128bit key. But a lot use a 64bit key by default. Go to the security option, and change it to 128bit key, and try it again. Wii does not support 64bit keys, although I have seen some of the first versions work with a 64bit key.
                          This only applies to WEP encryption.

Originally posted by PewterTA
                          I believe the Wii does not support the better WPA2 and higher security. I could be wrong on that, but I think people were having problems with some of the security settings and Wii.

You might have to bump it down to WPA or less to allow the Wii access.
                          The Wii supports:

WEP
                          WPA - PSK (TKIP)
                          WPA - PSK (AES)
                          WPA2 - PSK (AES)

The fact that it works without security means that it is just a configuration setting.

How many characters is your WPA passphrase? Do you have a mix of uppercase and lowercase characters? Do you have MAC address filtering enabled? Is there a error code coming up on the Wii?

Try dropping down to WEP to see if that works.

Comment

• Allegiance
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                            Static the IP address for the Wii and put it in the DMZ of your router it will let the Wii circumvent the security while the rest of your networks remains secure.
                            I run WPA/WPA2 security on my network. I have a xbox360, ps3 and a Wii all going online with the security and no problems.
                            I'm using a D-link DGL-4500 router. My bro had a lynksis and had allot of trouble with his gaming consoles getting online and maintaining a good connection. He ended up switching to d-link as well. I had a D-link wbr-1310 to start but I upgraded because my health insurance has a incentive program and I got it and a GoW psp for free. I can check my setting on the wii but I believe I just had it auto detect everything and it took care of everything.
                            I found a website that is all about setting up your router for the various consoles and it's router specific I believe. I'll post a link when I find it again.

I have a Linksys WAG160N and I have no issues with a Wii, 360 or PS3 :P
                            PS3 is hard wired, as is 360. Wii is wireless. I actually find D-Link's are impossible to setup port forwarding correctly on.

PS3 is hard wired, as is 360. Wii is wireless.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                              • Jan 2006

I have a Linksys WAG160N and I have no issues with a Wii, 360 or PS3 PS3 is hard wired, as is 360. Wii is wireless. I actually find D-Link's are impossible to setup port forwarding correctly on.
                              My bro's linksys was an older one which may have been the problem or it could have been his isp. He did switch over to comcast.
                              My ps3 is wireless(for now) as is the wii the xbox is wired.
                              I've never had any trouble with the port forwarding on my d-link's.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"