X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Harmony 885

I am new to universal remotes and am considering the plunge.
    I am looking at a Harmony 885, and I want to control a family room that has Theatre amp. DVD Player, LCd Panel and Satellite decoder.
    1. Is it easy to set up and use?
    2. Can it be setup that if I press one button the LCD will switch to the input, amp will change source etc?

When I watch satellite, the amp has to be switched on and source changed, the LCD has be changed to the appropriate source and the distributor has to be switched on.

If I watch a DVD, the source on the amp and the input on the LCD has to be changed.

Can I do all this by one button?

Sorry for the novice type questions.
    George.
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Help Anyone?

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ummm... I don't know the Harmony line at all, but yes, it probably does what you're asking. I just got a Universal Remote MX-980, and that thing ROCKS. Highly recommended. www.urc.com if you want to check out that company.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yes it has Watch buttons. You press something like Watch DVD and it will turn on your amp change the source on the amp, turn on the tv change the source on the tv, and turn on the dvd player, or any other number of things that you could possibly need it to do.

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

Got the remote on a trial basis, and yes it certainly is quite easy to use and I am enjoying it(will probably keep it).
          What I haven't been able to get it to do yet is switch on the PS3.
          Any thoughts?

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

There are a few products on the market today that plug into the PS3 ports, receiving IR signals to remotely control the PS3, instead of the standard bluetooth PS3 control.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
              There are a few products on the market today that plug into the PS3 ports, receiving IR signals to remotely control the PS3, instead of the standard bluetooth PS3 control.
              Which ones are there?

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I use one, I think it's made by schmartz.com, that is a USB dongle that receives IR codes. Just use any remote control that has the IR codes for the PS2, after that. Works great, for me.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• georgev
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks Chris, went onto the website and looked at them, have mailed Mike. Does yours do the on off function as well?

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ummmm... mine doesn't, but I'm pretty sure Mike has a brand new version out now that does. I don't mind, though. I usually leave my PS3 on, anyway, to crunch Folding @ Home, but if I do need to turn it on, I'm usually doing it by putting in a disc anyway, or something, at the unit.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• georgev
                      • Jul 2004

Have ordered one from Mike that also does the on/off function. Waiting for it.
                      Will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"