X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Problem with new computer???!!! HELP!

Ok I got all these new parts and pretty much built a completely new computer. I get it all hooked up plug it all in and what not. Turn it on and it boots to the bios settings I'm going through the settings and then it shuts off and now it won't turn back on. I'm not sure whats wrong here as it won't turn on at all. Hard to trouble shoot this way. Any idea's?
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

If your power supply is OK are all the fans running? Maybe something isn't right on your new, fancy heatsink and the CPU is overheating? Not sure why it wouldn't turn on at all though unless the PS or mobo is fried.
    Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm not sure...it's an MSI motherboard...which I've only had problems with in the past but my friend swears by the newer ones so I figured I would try it out. I pulled the cpu out and checked the pins and everything and it all looks good. It just won't turn on. And all the fans were running and this heatsink has gotten nothing but great reviews.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

I'd agree with Danish. Even if the ram or processor were fried, it should power up and beep a bit - with a blank screen probably. HDD would click and whirr a bit too.

Does the mobo have any led warning lights or anything for diagnostics? I know some do.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

When it shut off did the fans stop too? When you try to turn it back on do any fans/lights go on? If not, the power supply is bad, most likely. Seems like there are lot of crappy power supplies out there. What kind is it?

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

No this is a decent PSU and I used it in the last setup. It's a coolmax 500watt psu with dual 12v rails. It has a standby LED on the motherboard that is lit and if I turn the PSU off and then turn it back on and hit the power button the status LED's on the motherboard flash real quick and thats it no power no fan spin nothing. The more I think about it the more I think its probably the motherboard... Which really sucks because my bro in law just built a system as well and he got an MSI board and works fine... I guess he just got lucky.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Something could be shorted out, causing the power to cut.

Start by disconnecting EVERYTHING from the mobo and power supply. Remove the CPU chip, RAM, cards, drives and case connections from the mobo and PSU. Connect only the power connections from the PSU to the mobo, and the power switch. Then see if it will power up and stay powered up. If it does, reinstall components one at a time (install the CPU and HSF next, followed by RAM, then the video card, etc) until the problem returns. Connect drives and case LEDs last. If/when it fails again, you know what component is at fault. If it still fails with nothing connected to the mobo, remove the mobo from the case and set it on something non-metallic, and see if it powers up then. If it does, then something was touching and causing it to short. If not, it's either the mobo or the PSU.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

No it was the Bios.... I have one of the new core 2 duo's that have the 1333mhz fsb. The motherboard shipped with bios version 1.1 while they are currently on 1.6. So I had to put in my old core 2 duo and update the bios to the newest. Then tear it apart again and put in the new cpu. I'm sure glad I have a removable motherboard tray. It's working fine now.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"