Can't access HTGuide through my router..?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Can't access HTGuide through my router..?

If I plug my network cable directly to the cable modem, no problem... through my router and I can't even open HTGuide :?: I have no idea why my router won't let me on...? Does anyone have a solution for this? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of users have had this problem and just assume the site's down or gone.... :? We don't want that now do we!

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

The problems started when HTG's IP number changed.

First, try resetting your router. That may well fix it since you can access the site without it.

Others are having problem at the ISP level, at least I think in which case they have to contact the ISP about the IP change, and why they cannot access the site.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Well I had my router unplugged for over a week. No network cable, no power. I was thinking that would have re-set it but no such luck :? Tried plugging it back in the other day and nothing....

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

There's something stange going on with D-link routers as you're not the only one affected by it. George Bellafontain is as well and I'm sure there's several more as well given D-link's popularity.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Hmmm, I re-read this and do we know it's a Dlink router. I have one myself and have had no troubles.

Okay so let's assume it's a DLink.

What model and what firmware are we talking about? Then we'll go from there.

"A RONSTER!"
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

It is a D-Link! ..lol

ModelDI-604

Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

Yup same one that was giving George trouble.

(Try these things one at a time, trying to access the guide after each change, set it back if you weren't successful)

Do you have the latest firmware?

Have you flashed your firmware from the CDN site (assuming you bought it in Canada) and not the US? The firmware are apparantly slightly different.

Is the guide the only place in the whole wide web giving you trouble?...if so then your router's fine and it's some setting causing grief.

Try shutting off SPI and all the internal firewall setting temporarily.

(the following probably won't help because it's outside the routers control)
              ===============================================
              Have you tried flushing your Windows internet temp cache?

Do you run a software firewall? Try shutting it down.

Last but not least,

Have you tried a hard reset (pushing in the little reset button on the back)? Unplugging you router doesn't work because it stores everything on a flash ROM that won't lose its setting just because it's unplugged. You have to physically hit the rest button. Take an export of your set-up before you do this...If you are unsure about how, let me know.

Well I'm off to work, so I'll check-in a little later.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Ok...tried the newest firmware...nothing :?

Tried the re-set button on the back. It re-set ...

...but still can't get on HTGuide

This I thought was interesting though:

Is the guide the only place in the whole wide web giving you trouble?...if so then your router's fine and it's some setting causing grief.
                It is, to my knowledge, the only place that I can't get on to through my router. So how do I find this "mysterious setting"?

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Gordon, perhaps you can do some caputures of some of these setting pages, and show Aud19 what your talking about?

This is perplexing. Right now, I am glad to be on Linksys myself. That doesn't help the others though. I wish we could figure this out.

lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Well my brother-in-law is the one with a 604 I have the 714P myself...so I need to pop over there to get accurate screenshots, though I think our firmwares are fairly similar now (except for the wireless pages).

Aud...have you given your techsupport a call and asked about the Guides
                    address is being interpretted by their DNS properly?...

(man I wish Kevin was still on the board, he's better at networking than me )

Try (with the router connected)

from a DOS (command) window:

tracert: www.htguide.com

also try tracert 212.254.238.58 (the guide's physical ip) Your isp may block tracerouting due to the blaster worm...but it's worth a shot to see if you get a different result.

You should also note the dns servers that get picked up when your router isn't connected and when it is...

ie:

ipconfig /all

Also, did you try turning off spi (stateful packet inpsection)...it's possible that the algorithm ain't working properly and discarding packets from the guide (although I doubt this)...but it's worth trying to turn this off and see if you get a different result.

Also try turning off the internal firewall rules of the router and see if anything changes there (assuming it's on).

Are you setup with DHCP and let your ISP refresh DNS, IP etc...? If not and you hard code the numbers in, try using DHCP instead and that way you'll have the most updated DNS from your ISP.

If you need help changing you Windows settings for DHCP...let us know.

Let us know what version of Windoze you are using.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, I'll try to get some up when time permits. Kinda busy with my real job right now...and life gets in the way...ya know ;^)

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I don't think tracert www.htguide.com is going to work as mats has the server set to not to respond to pings.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Feb 2002

I just thought of another question.

With the router hooked up.

What happens when you type in a browser:

http://212.254.238.58/cfboards/

Do you get to the guide?

If so, something sounds screwed up with DNS.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Aud...have you given your techsupport a call and asked about the Guides address is being interpretted by their DNS properly?
                          I have not, I didn't really know what to ask them...lol So I'll call them later today and just repeat that and try to sound like I know what I'm talking about

You should also note the dns servers that get picked up when your router isn't connected and when it is... ie: ipconfig /all
                          Straight through the modem it gave me two: 24.207.1.8 and 24.207.1.9
                          Through the router it gave me the standard 192.168.0.1

Also, did you try turning off spi (stateful packet inpsection)
                          I can't find any mention of this when logged into the router...? :?

Also try turning off the internal firewall rules of the router and see if anything changes there (assuming it's on).

Are you setup with DHCP and let your ISP refresh DNS, IP etc...? If not and you hard code the numbers in, try using DHCP instead and that way you'll have the most updated DNS from your ISP.
                          Ummm... what? :roll: ops: Let's "pretend" I'm an idiot here...lol

If you need help changing you Windows settings for DHCP...let us know.
                          I think that's an obvious yes...lol

Let us know what version of Windoze you are using.
                          OOOH an easy one! Win XP Pro

What happens when you type in a browser: http://212.254.238.58/cfboards/ Do you get to the guide?
                          Nope, still don't work

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Feb 2002

Okay,

I'll try to throw up some screen shots of what I'm talking about when I get home today....I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

I have also tried all the things Gordon suggested and no luck. I have pretty much stopped using the router and will probably have to buy a Linkseys. I went to D-Link tech support and tried everything they suggested, including disabling the firewall but to no avail. They say the problem is with my ISP, but they tell me HT Guide is a good site and the problem has to be with the router since I can access HT Guide by going direct from modem to my PC. The problem started after The Guide changed servers. I have a sneaking suspicion the D-Link has some kind of DNS memory cache and is being confused with two DNS entries for HT Guide, and this stupid memory cache can't be flushed. Dunno. :stupidpc:

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Feb 2002

edit:

before you try everything below...try this:

ipconfig /flushdns
                                ipconfig /registerdns
                                ipconfig /release
                                ipconfig/renew

I did a little reading up and these commands are specific to 2000,XP and Server only. The client resolver cache should only reside in memory (meaning it flushes itself when you power off) but it's worth a shot to issue these commands first before trying all the other stuff since it's of little effort to do so. Maybe this is what's caching the old ip.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you Jason....so here we go

(I've whited out some of my settings that might not be a great thing to broadcast to the world )

when I type in ipconfig/all at home I get this:

You'll notice that the DNS has actually addresses in there not the local 192.168.x.x number like you mentioned.

So go to Start/My Network Places/View Network Connections

Right click on internal net and choose properties

That will bring up a box with several items. Where it says "This connection uses the following items" scroll down to TCP/IP

click on TCP/IP to highlight it and click on properties.

It should look like this. There should be no numbers hard coded anywhere:

Click on the advanced button

It should look like this:

Click over to the DNS tab:

Click on the options tab

and the click properties...IP Filtering should be disabled:

Now log into your router

Start with the WAN screen

I use DSL so my connection looks like this:

Click on the DHCP button and:

1. Enable it.

2. Pick a range of ip's you don't need a range of more than 10

Click on the TOOLS tab and then MISC

disable uPNP (universal plug and play)

Click on the Status tab

When you connect to your ISP you should see the settings that outwardly they assign to you including DNS servers. Internally your pc sits at 192.168.0.10 or whatever. The router knows that ip traffic is going to the ip your ISP assigns you. The router translates that through internal routing tables to your pc (the one asking for a webpage).

Once this is all set

go back to a command prompt and type

ipconfig /flushdns
                                ipconfig /registerdns
                                ipconfig /release
                                ipconfig/renew

just to be safe. The end result should look something like the first graphic I showed you.

I hope some of this helps. If anything needs clarity...just let me know.

Gord

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Strange thing happened... My install of XP at home blew up and stopped working about a week ago (Darn Kids! :x ..lol) So I've done a re-install. Strange thing is, I can now acess the guide through my D-link router. Keep in mind I haven't installed any of the software for it yet. So I don't know if it's a fresh install thing, a no D-link software installed thing or a HTGuide fixed the problem thing. Any thoughts guys? (Gordon )

Jason

Jason

Comment

• zforgetaboutit
                                    • Nov 2002

I have a D-link DL-604. I also had the "couldn't reach HTG" problem for many months.

I find today that I can reach the site again. I haven't re-installed Win XP or modified my router's software. Something changed somewhere.

Recently I was fooling with my MS IE 6.x security/privacy settings. That may have something to do with it.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                      • Aug 2000

HTGuide moved to a new server, and new Forum software approximately two weeks ago. Therefore, there should be no more issues with accessing the site through D-Link routers.

Though we've had a couple outages today... Doug and I are attempting to track down the cause with the hosting provider now.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Now that The Guide has moved its server I decided to reconnect my wife's computer via the D-Link router. Well now I can't even get the D-Link to accept a signal. The power light comes on, but the in and out ports don't light up. Tried rebooting the router but nothing happens. :evil: Looks like I'll have to replace the little bugger. Well, can't blame The Guide this time.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Jason, actually the correct answer is, Mats did get the D-link problem fixed after I'd decided to move the forum. So, we had a few days there where it did work on the old forum software. So, the timing of your reinstall was I suspect coincidental.

George, bummer on your router. You did try the reset button?

Lex
                                          Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Reset button ? Yup, several times.
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"