X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

? about buttons on Harmony 880

I am considering the 880 but need to find out a few things about it first. Here they are:

1) The "Device" button, what does that do?

2) The "Activities" button, what does that do?

3) The "Media" button, what does that do?

4) This may be a dumb question but can I teach it to learn a button from another remote? The online method of programming seems to be fairly comprehensive but I do not see this feature clearly listed. I ask because I imgaine the remote will require some fine tunning after going through the online programming.

Currently I have an MX-500 which I really like but is getting a little long in the tooth. Plus I finally got to hold the 880 and its very comfortable and not as bulky as the MX-500. I will say the MX-500 can do everything I need it to so I hope the 880 is just as good (which I imagie it would be).
  • Pez
    • May 2004

I finally found the answers to the above. I kind of knew the answers but I needed confirmation. Here is another question:

How many pages can each "Device" have (my MX-500 has 2 pages per device)?

Comment

• Hakka69
      • Dec 2006

I've had over 6 pages on some devices, not sure what the limit is though.

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Hakka69
        I've had over 6 pages on some devices, not sure what the limit is though.
        Excellent, thanks. I am going to order one today! :T

Comment

• Pookie007
          • Apr 2006

I think the number of pages depends on the number of activities the device needs. I don't know if there is a limit or if it is dependent on the memory available on the remote. My pre-amp has about 6 pages, my sub has 2.

I only use Harmony remotes. You initially program it through a web page where you enter the make and models of your equipment. If something doesn't work the way you like or if you equipment isn't supported, the remote will learn any IR signal and store it on your web page account. So you only go through the learn process once.

The Activities are your macros. There is a place where you set them up on the web page. The Device lets you seize control of a individual device. If you set up your activities correctly, you will only need to do this for initial set up of speaker levels, etc. Otherwise the activity button sets up the remote to control channel, volume, controls regardless of which device does what.

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Well I did it, bought the Harmony 880. Early impressions are very positive. It was difficult to make the leap from my MX-500 since I have had it for several years and became very attached to it. However, the ability to program via a computer is leaps and bounds above the way I had to set up the MX-500. No more pointing remotes at each other to learn functions or trying tons of different codes to find the right one. Whats even more impressive is that the 880 has codes (that I really needed) that were not on the remotes that came with my equipment. A perfect example is my TV, to switch inputs I had to hit one button to cycle through them. Since I use the component and HDMI inputs I couldnt set up a couple of macros to make going from PS3 to any other device and vice versa. With the 880 it has the discrete codes for each input, very cool.

As great as the 880 is there are few things I think the MX-500 is a step above. For starters the MX-500 feels much more solid. With the 880 I am a little concerned about dropping it whereas the MX-500 has taken a few hits and I dont worry about it. I tend to drop remotes often so hopefully the 880 can take the abuse (I really need to be more careful). Also, I like the buttons much better on the MX-500, very easy to distinguish instead of all run together and solid.

Regardless the 880 is now my "reference" remote and will be the one I recommend to others. The fact that its smaller than the MX-500 and has a re-chargeable base is very nice indeed.

I should note the remote came "broken". Everything seems to be working fine but there was something rattling around inside. In a way this confirms my impression about the remote not feeling as durable as the MX-500 but I have to believe my broken one is more the exception than the rule. After all, Im just going to exchange instead of buying a different brand.

Strongly recommended.

Comment

• OttoMatic
              • Jan 2007

Is the rattling just the "tilt" sensor that allows the remote to light up when you move it? Mine (890) also has the rattle, and the rattle is described in their FAQ as being caused by the tilt sensor, and it's considered normal.
              -- Otto
              Misc Pics

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

Originally posted by OttoMatic
                Is the rattling just the "tilt" sensor that allows the remote to light up when you move it? Mine (890) also has the rattle, and the rattle is described in their FAQ as being caused by the tilt sensor, and it's considered normal.
                To be honest I am not sure. After I noticed it I went to Best Buy and shook all the Harmony remotes they had and didnt hear any rattle.

Comment

• Pez
                  • May 2004

I got the replacement remote today - and its rattles just like the last one. So based on that and what OttoMatic said its normal. At least I have peace of mind but it would be nice if it didnt make any noise. Like I was saying ealier, it sort of adds to the fact that the harmony just doesnt seem as solid as the MX-500 but the ability of the remote more than makes up for it.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"