X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Ah..... very timely, Vincent! Last night I hooked up my 500GB external hard drive to the front PS3 USB ports to do the backup. Every time I went to the PS3 backup utility and went through the steps, it came to a dead end saying something like, "connect an external source to the save utility". I searched and searched all the PS3 menus, and couldn't find a "save utility". Looks like I just need to do the re-format that you're talking about. It'll probably take me several minutes, as now I have to move everything off that external hard drive before reformatting.

Good thing I just got my Drobo with multiple hard drives as a central saving location for the house! Don't really need those external hard drives anymore for that kind of stuff.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Huh... might need a bit more help. Vincent, your link isn't working for me. Per that review I linked from Amazon on the last page here, it looks like the program I need is called "fat32format". I did a googlesearch for it, and it came up with lots of hits. I'm hesitant to blindly download a program from the internet, though. never know who's packed in some 'extra goodies' to it. The first link on the Google results was www.softpedia.com. Is this a reputable site?
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

OK. Odd. That link works for me still, at home, in the office and on my iphone on 3g. Google 'Swissknife' and you should get it. Softpedia is safe but like any download site, there will always be a few that slip thru.

Swissknife downloads from Downloads.com - a CNET site. I've never had issues from there.

Try this...

Optimize your system's productivity with these utilities in your toolbox. Clear out junk files, speed up PC or phone performance, and more.

As I said on Saturday - you will have to have the external HDD formatted to FAT32 - once you do, whatever app you use - it will backup with no issue.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Done! Wow, I can't believe how easy the upgrade was. The hardest part by FAR was clearing out my external hard drive and reformatting it to FAT32. Worked fine, though.

2 hours to do a backup of the almost-full 80GB hard drive, about 5 minutes to physically swap the drive, maybe 10 minutes to do a re-boot and format the new hard drive, and another 2 hours to restore the backup data. Would have been a lot quicker (and easier--wouldn't have had to use and re-format a big external drive) if I had done this when the drive was much emptier.

From what I can see, it looks like EVERYTHING is still there--private messages, game save data, expansion pack downloads, game trophies, music, etc. It even re-booted straight to the same theme background I had previously set, and every setting I've checked has been where I previously set it. I didn't copy anything over manually, just used the backup utility. Awesome. :T I guess I have one of the few 500GB PS3's in the world now!
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            I guess I have one of the few 500GB PS3's in the world now!
            You and me both, Chris!!!! I'm really happy with mine. I copied about 300gb of movies and TV series that I had ripped onto it and am very pleased with the results. I also copied all my music - in 320k mp3 format, another 100gb - so there's loads of space left for games. Perfect for the family room when not wanting to got through the rigmarole of CDs etc.
            Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

There's an idea. I already copied my entire iTunes library to 320Kbps MP3 versions, for use on my iPod, so I guess I can put them all on my PS3, too, just for poops and giggles! Only takes up about 100GB, from what I remember.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Hey, post number 501 in this thread!

Big day for the PS3. Price drop to $299 for the new 120GB model, and the new firmware 3.0 is out!!!! Downloading it as we speak.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Nothing really new with 3.0. The XML menu has a bit of a different layout. Aside from that, I don't notice any improvement in anything.

I did download the new Batman game demo while I was looking around. Glad I did... the game is awesome. :B
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I see a couple new Lego games are coming--Lego Indiana Jones 2, and Lego Rock Band. :T
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in time on October 29.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

New "feature"... A Papa John's ordering link right on the PS3. Now you don't even have to get out of your chair to order pizza, while you keep right along playing on the PS3. If you don't live with somebody else, you'll actually have to get out of your chair to answer the door for the delivery guy, of course. (or, you could get into full home automation and hit a button on your remote control to open the door, and then just yell at the delivery dude to set the pizza in your lap)

So I just tried it out for the heck of it. When you open up the PS3 internet browser, there's a link on the opening home page for Papa John's, which seems to take you to the usual Papa John's website. So all you're really doing is using the PS3 browser to order from Papa John's, instead of a computer. On that note, you could do the same thing with any other pizza company--you just have the direct link to Papa John's site with the PS3, that's all.

The ordering interface is a bit clunky, just like any other webpage operations using the PS3 and remote. But it worked fine, and I got pizza about 30 minutes later, right at the door.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

What makes them think gamers would want pizza?
                          :B

Comment

• H.T.C
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Brandon B
                            What makes them think gamers would want pizza?
                            :B
                            During those late nite frag fests they may get that urge for pizza !
                            Robert

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

FWIW, the pizza was pretty darn yummy.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JustinGN
                                • May 2009

I miss the old EQ2 /pizza command. It'd open up a browser in-game to order Pizza Hut from. Would be nice to see more integration with the system or net-connected devices for delivery services

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

They should have made a mini driving game out of it with a drive through. Or maybe an extra feature in Burnout Paradise City or something. Would've boosted sales I bet.

BTW for any LBP players, there is a link on the PSN blog to SonyWonder's site for a free download of the Norse mythology costume pack:

You need to create an account, get a redemption code, then enter it through the PS3 under transaction management.

Two costumes, Thor and a Valkyrie, and some stickers.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Much appreciated, B.

Yeah, that would have been cool, some sort of mini-game or better interface for ordering pizza.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

What is driving me nuts is now you can't listen to music and access the XMB anymore without stopping the music. You used to be able to go and play music, hit the PS button and go back to the XMB. I would always do this while waiting for people to get on line or something to finish downloading...but no longer.

It's frustrating that they changed that.
                                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                      -Dan

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

Burnout Paradise City is now $14.99 on PSN. DIsk based version still seems to be $19.99.

Good game if you like driving (and crashing).

Comment

• Allegiance
                                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                          Burnout Paradise City is now $14.99 on PSN. DIsk based version still seems to be $19.99.

Good game if you like driving (and crashing).
                                          Thanks I will check that out!

Comment

• Alloroc
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2005

That's a fun game..... Lot's of surprises and now so cheap?! A bargain...

In other news I bought a couple of downloaded gams just for quick fun. I got Gauntlet (was a massive fan in the 80s) and Pain. Now Pain is funny, mindless and entertaining albeit for short periods. Not one for a prolongued sitting. I got one other too but can't remember what one! Must've made a mark.
                                            Vincent.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

Netflix streaming is coming to the PS3 as early as November. Initially you will have to put a Netflix blu-ray disc in any time to use the streaming (it's work via BD-Live), but a future software update will add it to the menus.

Be sure to visit Netflix and reserve your BD disc to ship when available.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Huh... interesting. Netflix is starting to integrate with EVERYTHING.

I still do only physical disc rentals, from both Netflix and Blockbuster. No streaming rentals.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jun 2004

Huh... interesting. Netflix is starting to integrate with EVERYTHING.

I still do only physical disc rentals, from both Netflix and Blockbuster. No streaming rentals.
                                                  I do both. I like the streaming for like Tv's , older movies and such. It's very nice. I use the Xbox 360 and now they allow you to pick some movies without having to visit your Que on your computer. It's very very cool.
                                                  Now I have another reason to ditch my xbox360 unless it breaks again before November .

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                                    In other news I bought a couple of downloaded gams just for quick fun. I got Gauntlet (was a massive fan in the 80s) and Pain. Now Pain is funny, mindless and entertaining albeit for short periods. Not one for a prolongued sitting. I got one other too but can't remember what one! Must've made a mark.
                                                    Yeah, I've had Pain since release, and have bought all the new levels for it. Good father son bonding tool. Only bought one character though. Hasselhoff, a my wife's urging.

We're taking turns at the new Ratchet and Clank this week. Better than the last one, which was my least favorite of the series so far, although still good.

BB

Comment

• Ovation
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                      Netflix streaming is coming to the PS3 as early as November. Initially you will have to put a Netflix blu-ray disc in any time to use the streaming (it's work via BD-Live), but a future software update will add it to the menus.

Be sure to visit Netflix and reserve your BD disc to ship when available.

Kevin D.
                                                      I wonder if this will allow Netflix to go international. While I prefer physical discs, I could see streaming a few things now and again.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jun 2001

Finished Ratchet and Clank VI a couple of weeks ago. Overall, I like it quite a bit. Few things were disappointing, mainly that they gimped the RYNO a little. You have to upgrade it several levels before it becomes worthy of the name compared to its predecessors.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

Been a while since we discussed this thread! But I tell you what--after all this time, my PS3 is still my primary and only BD player, and it's still doing great. And I continue to get more games and gaming stuff--Rock Band gear, a great driving simulator rig, etc. I'm about to pick up Little Big Planet 2, and there's some other cool games about to come out like Lego Star Wars III, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. I haven't tried my GT5 yet.

Thanks to Danish, I just picked up a second PS3 while I'm over in Iraq for a year, a 160GB slim model that was on a great sale. As we discussed before, the first thing I'm considering to it is putting in a bigger hard drive. Several years ago when I put the 500GB drive in my other PS3, it was $100. The same drive is now $53, but there's now a 750GB model that's now $93.

There's even a 1TB model out for like $113, but in the Amazon user reviews, it said that particular model is actually a bit fatter than other drives, and doesn't fit in the PS3. (or lots of laptops either) So unless I'm missing something, I'm thinking about the 750GB model.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering who has tried out the new Playstation Move. Looks pretty cool. This accessory looks pretty sweet for shooting games.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

You know.. I just realized how many years the PS3 has been out. It still seems like a brand new product to me, but should we start thinking about the PS4 now???
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

I've not heard any rumors, and having just bought another PS3 Slim for Christmas, I think there's still plenty of life in the product, especially at the current price point.
                                                              - Mike

Main System:
                                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

Oh, wait a minute... I just thought of something. Is the HDD still user replaceable in the new slim PS3 models?
                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2005

Oh, wait a minute... I just thought of something. Is the HDD still user replaceable in the new slim PS3 models?
                                                                  I believe so. My buddy dave has one and he upgraded. I think they have encrypted the disk now though so it may need a backup and restore. Be interested to hear how you get on as I'm considering a slim.
                                                                  Vincent.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Its very easy to upgrade the HD in the Slim. You don't need to backup/restore first, only if you want to preserve your game settings. There's a philips screw on the underside to release the drive tray, which then slides to unplug the drive before pulling out. Swap out the drive and replace the tray. Boot the PS3, it will detect the drive and prompt you to format it. Then you can restore from a backup is desired.
                                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

Yeah, it's looking to me like the upgrade is the exact same process as it was in the original PS3, just a physically different location of the hard drive in the unit. I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to upgrade a PS3 slim HDD. One of them says that after you install the new drive, you'll have to put a USB flash drive in the PS3, with a folder containing the latest OS update, for it to boot back up. I don't think that's correct, though--I think the OS is still stored in the PS3 memory just like the original PS3 did, and when you boot it back up, it should just automatically format the new drive, and be good to go.

I think I'm going to buy that 750GB HDD, and give it a shot. See what happens.
                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Oct 2005

Glad you got it OK!
                                                                        Danish

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2010

Have you used thePS3 media server ?
                                                                          I'm using it and so far seems to do a good work.
                                                                          Ivan.
                                                                          My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

I just got my first platinum PS3 trophy yesterday, for Lego Indiana Jones 2. YAY! Really fun game. I've always enjoyed the Lego games. I just got a bunch of new games with my new PS3 slim, so next will probably be Little Big Planet 2, followed by Lego Harry Potter, GT5, and Sports Champions.

I also picked up the Playstation Move starter pack and some accessories like a Move gun. So far, the little that I've tried the Move, I like it. It's not perfection of movement sensing like I was expecting, but it's pretty good. I'll have to try it more.
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

Ugh... I finally got my 750GB hard drive that I ordered. (took forever... long story) And it did NOT go as smoothly as replacing my original fat PS3. Several hiccups that may be "quirks" based on details that I'm not sure if they'd apply to others as well or not.

- First, I chose to back up my sytem to a USB drive, to keep all my settings and game saves. No problem.

- Physically swapping out the drive was CAKE. I currently have my PS3 slim in a vertical stand, so I didn't even have to flip it over or anything, just accessed the drive as it stands. Just followed some removal videos I found on Youtube.

- Note that with my original PS3 fat, once I booted it up with the new drive in, it worked just fine, as the OS was saved on flash memory. Then did a restore, and everything worked perfectly right off the bat, all settings and everything as was before. Not this time with the PS3 slim.

- Put in the new drive to my PS3 slim, booted it up... crap. Got a page that the operating system could not be loaded. Rebooted several times, same thing. So the other option it gives you is to load the OS from a saved file on an external drive. I tried this, and it said the file was corrupted. CRAP CRAP! Error code of 8002F225 or something.

- Doing a web search of the error code, I discovered discussions that imply that the current software (version 3.56) has an issue that creates these sorts of problems during hard drive swaps. There's even TWO versions of 3.56, the 2nd one of which corrects some glitches with the first version, both both have hard drive swap problems. Suggestion was to download the OS to an external drive, do a forced update on the old PS3 drive, then a forced update on the new drive once installed, even though this download file should be indistinguishable from the current online version.

- So I put the old drive back in. Worked fine still. (phew) Re-downloaded the OS file from the Playstation website, put it on a thumb drive. Told the PS3 to update the OS from the thumb drive. It said it was the same version as already installed, but I told it to update anyway. Worked fine.

- I re-installed the new hard drive again, booted it up, and it gave me the same notice message that it could not boot up the OS. So I used the same thumb drive, and told it to re-install the OS. This time, it worked fine, and booted to the playstation XMB menu just fine.

- I did a restore from my previous backup. Worked fine, got all files back. HOWEVER, it did not automatically restore my previous network settings. I had to go in and manually re-setup my network connection. Also, all my "themes" I had downloaded to the PS3 were now locked, (including the one I was actively using prior to the HDD swap) and it said I had to "activate" my system to use them. Well the system's already activated, which I confirmed. Maybe it has to do with me currently being overseas with my PS3, and/or that I had originally downloaded the themes to my PS3 at home, and just went into my account, and also downloaded the same themes I had purchased to my new PS3 slim. (i.e. maybe the issue is that you're supposed to be only able to purchase themes for only one PS3) Anyway, I just went into my account and AGAIN downloaded the themes to my PS3 slim, and everything worked.

- So, to summarize the "glitches", I don't know how much of the OS loading issue is for *all* PS3 slims, and how much is just a glitch with OS 3.56. I don't know how much of the restore issues are for all PS3 slims, and how much are just specific to me because either (1) I'm currently using my system overseas, and/or (2) own multiple PS3's now.

- In the end, everything's working great, and I've got the largest possible PS3 on the market today, with 750GB. Yay! But it wasn't quite as easy as it was when I swapped the drive on my original fat PS3. Not horrible, but several catches.
                                                                              Last edited by Chris D; 02 March 2011, 07:35 Wednesday.
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2010
                                                                                • 3122

I'm curious Chris, why the need for such a huge hard drive?. What are you putting on it that demands that kind of memory?. I'm curious!!?.
                                                                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Dec 2000
                                                                                  • 16877

Well, nothing yet. My other PS3 is an original 80GB fat model. After several years, I filled up the 80GB, and had to upgrade. It was a bit of a pain to do the back up and restore of 80GB of stuff, so this time, I wanted to put in a big drive right up front before it got full.

I put a 500GB drive in my first PS3, and it has plenty of space. But then I thought it would be cool to put my entire music collection on the PS3, in MP3 format, to use as an additional music server. With all my other stuff on it, though, I don't really have room for all the music. I just bought the 750GB drive for the same price I paid for the 500GB just a year or two ago. Not bad, less than $100, so might as well put a big 'un in, and have more capacity than I need for years and years to come.
                                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2010
                                                                                    • 3122

I have the 80 gig fat but I still don't get the need for more?. What exactly can consume that much space in a playstation?. What did you put on the PS3 fat model to consume 80 gigs?. Mp3's are not gonna' consume 80 gigs of space anytime soon!!??.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 16075

They started selling huge amounts of giant add ons and even full games via download. Then there's music, movies, and so on. It's not hard to fill up 80 gigs.

Comment

• madmac
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2010
                                                                                        • 3122

How does one put a movie on a Playstation?. I mean, the thing is so copyright enabled and protected I can't imagine how a person can do that. I can't even download anything on this thing that hasn't been approved by Sony!!??. Games I can understand because they are sold via the Sony on-line store. I guess whole games could consume a fair amount of gigs???.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16075

You can download movies from PSN, also the PS3 is less tied down then the Xbox 360 by a long shot. It's not hard at all to put movies on it just have to put them in the right format.

The 360 on the other hand is limited by size amongst other things, much more limited codecs.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                                            • 16877

Dougie, we need to get you back in the PS3! My account says you haven't been online for a few years!
                                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"