X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Laptop Suggestions?

I'm going to have to shut down the old PC for about 8 months while my new home is being built. Thinking about picking up a laptop/notebook in the interim. Any suggestions?

Emphasis will be on low price since it's just going to get me through til the new house is done (plus there's a lot of things to buy for the house!).
    Frys Electronics has a Toshiba on sale for 549.00$. Anything I should be looking for? Basically just going to use it for web surfing and e-mail type stuff. Nothing elaborate.

My wife is hesitant to go the wireless laptop route due to security/privacy issues. Any reassurances I can give her?

Thanks for any help!
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Toshiba makes good laptops. Look for one with enough RAM (512 MB minimum) and a large enough hard drive to meet your needs. Just remember that laptops aren't as easy to upgrade as desktops.

Tell your wife that wireless can be secured. Use WPA or WPA2 encryption. Do you have a wireless router already?

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin P
      Toshiba makes good laptops. Look for one with enough RAM (512 MB minimum) and a large enough hard drive to meet your needs. Just remember that laptops aren't as easy to upgrade as desktops.

Tell your wife that wireless can be secured. Use WPA or WPA2 encryption. Do you have a wireless router already?
      Nope. Don't even know what it is...I'm a computer neophyte! ops:

Comment

• Gump
        • Sep 2005

If you mean the service, probably Verizon.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I guess that's a "no." You can buy one for about $50, give or take.

Like this...
          Danish

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I also vote Toshiba for a good quality but still affordable laptop. To do better you've got to move up in price to Fujitsu's, IBM's and Sony's
            Jason

Comment

• Arneson
              • Jan 2006

Move this to the How to use a router section. lol, (only kidding)

I agree Toshiba but would add cheap HP's aren't bad.
              Jim

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Remember, if you're about to buy any computer, laptop or desktop, we're only a month and some away from Windows Vista. IMHO, buying a computer with a fresh Vista install would be preferential. If it were me, I'd wait just a bit until the release.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Arneson
                  • Jan 2006

Been reading terrible things about Vista, makes me think of the awful mistake I made with Windows ME.
                  I upgraded everything to it and suffered the consequences.
                  Jim

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I've heard good things about vista (not enough to make me go to it when it comes out), I don't think it'll be an awful mistake... but then again, who knows it's microsoft.

If you really want the "feel" of vista, a couple places already make "skins" for XP to make it look and function like vista.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

IMHO, it's better to wait on Vista. Let someone else beta test it for MS. When a new OS comes out, it usually takes a while for other software and drivers to play catch-up. Stick with XP for another year or so. I usually wait until service pack 2 before I switch OSes.

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I agree with you Kevin, unless he doesn't mind being a beta tester. As a rule of thumb I try not to purchase ver 1.0 of any electronics/software, of course there are exceptions to the rule, but it is very rare.

Lenovo ThinkPads are rated pretty well ( a bit costly though), and is certainly one to consider for evaluation.

When going wireless just ensure you utilize at least 128 bit encryption.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Gump
                          • Sep 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Leaning towards a Toshiba on sale from Circuit City for 599$. It's got 512mb memory which I can upgrade to 1g for 50$. Also has an Intel Core Duo , 14.1 inch widescreen, 1.7 megahtz Processor T2050, Works, Windows XP, 80GB harddrive, DVD burner, and other stuff that I can't remember.
                          How's that sound?

Probably going to hold off on the router for awhile and just get a modem card from verizon. Staying with relatives while the house is being built and I don't feel comfortable hooking up new stuff at their house.

Also going to hold off on the Vista idea until they get any bugs worked out.

Thanks again for all the tips and ideas.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"