is there any way to get 1 remote that does everything?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whatismouse
    • Aug 2006

is there any way to get 1 remote that does everything?

seriously we have like 14 remotes each that work for some small part of something. like if i want to get my dvd player to work i have to pull out this one and click this button, then get this other one to set this thingy, and finally i can pick up the third one and do this doohickey. and when one of them stops working you have to figure out how to manipulate the other ones to do what you want them too.

no other house ive ever been too has been any different.

im willing to spend if it does everything, music, movies, pc, tv, girlfriend.

thanks.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Sure, there are lots of ways to skin this cat - all but the gf, that is. :
    Danish

Comment

• whatismouse
      • Aug 2006

heh okay i can live with that. all i know is that we went to the store to buy a new remote and made sure to get one that controls everything. somehow that never happened and we still use all 4 remotes

Comment

• kurtholz
        • Feb 2005

Pronto

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

I just picked up a Logitech Harmony 676 and am very happy with it so far. It's the type that you program via their web site and it downloads the commands to the remote. Not quite as straightfoward as they suggest, but so far, I think I've got it about 90% complete (still tweaking).

If you search, these and the other Harmony models can be found for quite a bit less than their suggested retail prices.
          Brad

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Lots of universal remotes out there. Lots and lots. Anywhere from $10 to $1500. Depends on the features you want--hard button vs. LCD screen, learning, pre-programmed IR database, computer customization, etc.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Just my opinion of course, but the best for the buck is the Pronto ProNG or it's Marantz-badged equivalent, the RC9500. It isn't cheap, but it has a ton of capabilities which do generally require a bit of personal investment in programming it to do what you want in the way you want. But, once you're up to speed on it you can get it to do just about anything - maybe even the GF. . . nah.

Best of luck! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• whatismouse
                • Aug 2006

holy crap 8O

that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over budget.

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

The Harmony 880 (~$154.00, USD) would be my personal recommendation.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by whatismouse
                    holy crap 8O

Okay then, what's the budget?

Don't be too hung up on the MSRP. You can find them for a good deal less with some online searcing. You could also look at the Pronto RC9800i, which is a WiFi equipped model that's a bit less. Here's PriceGrabber's listing for it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• H.Donald
                      • Aug 2004

I use an Aeros MX-850,it controls any and everything...
                      I like the combo of touch screen and hard buttons...and it can be had on Ebay for around two hundred bucks.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Donald, I just have to point out the Universal Remote Control, who makes the MX-850, has a new policy that they will not provide or update any software for their products that are bought through unauthorized channels. So be carefull... you don't get a warranty, either.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Chris,

I also own the MX-850, and the updates are done via the MX-850 Editor software over the web.

Now the warranty that is a totally different story.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Have you tried updating it within the last week??? Should get one last update and that's it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

yeah, Azeke, URC is DISABLING Live Update on every single software program of theirs. Every owner out there has to get the new Complete Control software now to have more future Live Updates.

Believe me, I've been hitting this issue hard for the past week and a half.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• MidFi
                                • Jan 2005

My parents got into a modest home theater set up a year ago and mom couldn't deal with all the remotes sitting around, let alone figuring out how to turn everything on to watch TV. I bought them a Universal Remote URC-200, programmed it for them, and they love it. Every button is labled correctly and the macro function allows them to turn everything on with one click. I was so impressed I bought another one for myself from Onecall.com at a price $99. Excellent service and they even called me on both purchases to make sure I was satisfied.
                                I've used the remote to program 10 different brands of electronics and there was one that wouldn't work, a pre-amp from VTL. I'm not sure what technology they use for there remotes, but it wouldn't work with the universal remote.

A site I used to do research was
                                Reviews of the latest universal remote controls, a file area, programming help, message forums and more!

Comment

• whatismouse
                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by MidFi
                                  My parents got into a modest home theater set up a year ago and mom couldn't deal with all the remotes sitting around, let alone figuring out how to turn everything on to watch TV. I bought them a Universal Remote URC-200, programmed it for them, and they love it. Every button is labled correctly and the macro function allows them to turn everything on with one click. I was so impressed I bought another one for myself from Onecall.com at a price $99. Excellent service and they even called me on both purchases to make sure I was satisfied.
                                  I've used the remote to program 10 different brands of electronics and there was one that wouldn't work, a pre-amp from VTL. I'm not sure what technology they use for there remotes, but it wouldn't work with the universal remote.

A site I used to do research was
                                  http://www.remotecentral.com/index.html
                                  awesome thanks i will keep this in mind. we just got hit with a dead fridge after only 2 years so the HT is going to be set back a few months :M

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    yeah, Azeke, URC is DISABLING Live Update on every single software program of theirs. Every owner out there has to get the new Complete Control software now to have more future Live Updates.

Believe me, I've been hitting this issue hard for the past week and a half.
                                    That's an unfortunate state of affairs, I did my last update after your post the other day. Just tried to check again and voila no further updates are available. Oh well, thanks for the info Chris. I guess I'll rely on remotecentral.com.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                                    Last edited by Chris D; 22 July 2015, 01:42 Wednesday.

Comment

• eddiem67
                                      • Jun 2004

MX-850 is a great remote, pssssst, shoot me an email...
                                      My Car Audio

Comment

• mtres
                                        • Aug 2006

eddiem67,
                                        Could you email me and tell me how you have your MX-850 set-up? I would appreciate any help.

Matt

Comment

• eddiem67
                                          • Jun 2004

the 850 runs my blu-ray, hd-dvd, dvd player, lights, tv, media player, processor, and digital set top box. I can push one button to switch over to any source, volume is controlled via punch through to the processor. Wife loves it...
                                          My Car Audio

Comment

• mss
                                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by whatismouse
                                            holy crap 8O

Hehe. That's why I prefer a simple piece of software called the Noviiremote Deluxe (www.novii.tv). Noviiremote plus a PDA/smartphone will do everything that a high-end universal remote control can do. But MUCH cheaper - you can save at least 200 bucks .

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"