X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Mac Or Pc Your Choice

I started with a mac and still have a mac, but recently bought a pc. I do like the choice of software to choose from with a pc but other than that my pc has been a pain in the butt I would take a mac over a pc any day.
    Blake
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Mac has too limited software and hardware for my needs most of the time plus I don't like paying 1.5-2X just for Mac stuff so I'd have to go with PC's. If you maintain Windows and use the system properly there shouldn't be any major headaches anyway, it's just not quite as user friendly or set and forget as a Mac. As for Mac's if you doing AV/graphic stuff and a bit of email/WP/internet than they work quite well. If you need to do more than that though......
    Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I straddle the computing worlds, but much prefer Macs to PC's. In general, you DON'T pay 1.5 - 2.0 X for the same quality- it's just that Apple doesn't sell crap computers, but many other companies do.

Case in point would be the new MacBooks, which are selling like hotcakes starting at $1,099.

Mac's lack in electrical engineering software, but there are many good 3D mechanical design and modeling packages, and when it comes to DTP, presentations, media, photography, music, there really isn't any comparison, especially if you consider price/performance (try to find something comparable to Belight "Swift Publisher" or EZ Draw's technical capbilities from Dekorra Optics). How about fast web site building for everybody using Rapidweaver?

The bundled iLife suite on a Mac has a lot of very capapble programs, not just space fillers on the hard drive to delete during the process of setting up.

I've been building and using PC's since 1983, and have owned 7 conventional PC laptops, including expensive models from Sony and HP. Nada mas... especially since these days you can dual boot XP or run it natively from a virtualizatio program like Parallels, using the hypervisor capabilities of the newest intel processors.

Parallels Desktop

I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy a Mac- maybe just those looking for a bit more from their computing experience, and also a bit less (malware, viruses, security patches, etc- OSX is Unix, you know....)

I for one am very glad that another choice besides M$ft and Dell is available.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• comeup
        • Jul 2005

One of the things that i do like about the mac is it dosen't need the virus protection that the pc needs, have you guys ever ran your pc without the spyware and virus protection? its so much faster and sweeter and takes away alot of the compatibility problems, but as soon as you get on the net watch out, if I were to completly change over I would have to have two pc's one for the internet and the other for everything else.
        Blake

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Using Firefox helps a lot too

Oh and Jon, I build my PC's myself too and with quality components and I've looked, an equivelant Mac still costs more.

But like I said and you guys have mentioned artwork/av etc Macs are probably your best bet.... I just have to be more varied than that and if I was buying a Mac why the %$#& would I want to put MS software on it :lol:
          Jason

Comment

• comeup
            • Jul 2005

Jon would parallels run as fast as a regular pc and run high video gaming software?
            Blake

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Another votes for PC here, as I've been assembled my own computers for years(since I was 12 or so)
              Pick your own parts and you can get any quality component you want. Plus it's just like DIY speakers, to have fun for building it :B

For those PC emulator I've experienced in Linux/Unix they are really simulating but hardly keeping up to the real performance of same speed's PC. You probably can do some gaming but not some extreme gaming.
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Gotta vote for PCs... Except for the ease of video editing, I have yet to see anything I like the MAC for better than a PC.

Here's a great video that really shows what it's like working a mac...

The Original Designer Of This Video Can Be Found Here:Hunter CressallYouTube Channel: Vexxarr (http://www.youtube.com/user/Vexxarr)http://www.huntercressall....
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Funny video Pewter :rofl:
                  Jason

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

I think they copied that from Apple like alot of other things and yes it was funny.
                    Blake

Comment

• comeup
                      • Jul 2005

Mac people where are you HELP.
                      Blake

Comment

• Russ L
                        • Jul 2006

Blake! I'm here! Don't know how much help I can offer . I've always been out of it with computers (40yrs+ generation) I'm finally getting comfortable with computers I've had 3 Macs over the last 18 years and I love them..use Dells at work and they feel sloppy. In my lo-tech description a Dell is like a Ford and a Mac is like a Lexus. Don't know if Dells are representative of all PCs. My son built a PC and somehow runs it as a Mac :E Don't know how he does it but hes an IT Guy so that probably explains it. -Russ
                        Russ

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

I've been a pc user since the IBM PC....

I've built many PC's with INTEL, AMD....using DOS, Windows, XP....

I switched to a mac OSX about 2yrs ago...it's not perfect. But it's a step or two ahead of any windows platform.

Is it a bit more money...sure. (You get what you pay for....)

It's funny how people bitch about paying a bit more for a computer, but are willing to spend thousands of dollars more to hear the nth detail in audio nirvana...

Does it work out of the box, with useful software? ....MOST DEFINATELY.

Does it crash? Yes....

Does it crash as much as a windows based pc, HELL NO!!!

You can't beat the hardware/software integration advantage apple has over windows based pc's. Yes, it drives the price up a bit, but the communicicationi between software/hardware makes for one great synergy!!

People that haven't used a mac, will never understand what we are talking about. MAC OS, has and will always be ONE step...if not TWO steps ahead of Windows...HISTORICALLY, THAT IS A FACT....we will see about VISTA, if and when it comes to the market. By then....the next generation OSX will be out...and windows will be playing catch up...

Comment

• comeup
                            • Jul 2005

Hey thanks guys lovin it just wanted to let you guys know that this thread is just for FUN I give the pc lovers a hard time at work all the time. One of my best friends at work fixes cpu's for people and I told him if these folks had macs he wouldn't make any money, because they hardly breakdown. I have an old performa from the early 90's that's still great for basics and has never been in the shop. I also have a ibook two years old thats been close to perfect with no major problems. My PC is eight months old and I already had to take it to my friend to fix some bugs. Like all the rest of the pc people on my job I was walking around with a big tower to get fixed. I actually think Apple out performed themselves with some of their older cpu's if it won't break you won't buy a new one kinda like the B&W 602 S3 series speakers too good of a speaker for the price. I also thank Mr. Gates for investing 300 Mil in Apple and helping them make a comeback just when they were about to go under.

Keep it comin peace
                            Blake

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

I know a lot of people with the "cheap" PCs - they are always having issues with things, some hardware driven, but mostly due to malware, etc.

I build my PCs and have not had the first issue with reliability. I enjoy the software (especially gaming) choices. Everything at work is PC based as well.

I'd like to try out a Mac someday, they do look pretty slick.
                              Danish

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Yup, you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap $400 system from Del etc and you will have problems. Even "expensive" PC stuff isn't a guarantee of quality. Ie: WD Raptor drives aren't overly cheap but they're "high performance" and I always hear people having problems with them (and about them being loud) whereas Samsung and Seagate drives tend to be a touch slower but whisper quite and very reliable. Just have to do your homework
                                Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                  WD Raptor drives aren't overly cheap but they're "high performance" and I always hear people having problems with them (and about them being loud) whereas Samsung and Seagate drives tend to be a touch slower but whisper quite and very reliable.

Yep, raptors are 10k rpm hard drives and are really only used by business critical and high speed application servers is required. Higher speed = louder, hotter, less reliable, but FASTER....

I would never buy one for personal/home use or even most business applications. But your point is made...just figure I'd add my 2 cents...

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

The nice thing about PC's is that YOU can make decisions on all this stuff
                                    Jason

Comment

• Vinny
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                      Yep, raptors are 10k rpm hard drives and are really only used by business critical and high speed application servers is required. Higher speed = louder, hotter, less reliable, but FASTER....

I would never buy one for personal/home use or even most business applications. But your point is made...just figure I'd add my 2 cents...
                                      With the current PCT 7200rpm SATA drives(Barracuda, more coming up definitely) are really really close to Raptor's 10k preformance now. Ultra scsi still leads the way for business/server and new cheap 7200rpm PCT solutions are available for average consumer.
                                      Unless you are a hardcore gamer, I don't really see a point for getting Raptor now.

FYI, WD's other products are also noisy and hot ops:
                                      Pioneer KRP-500M
                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                      Parasound 5125
                                      Oppo BDP-83
                                      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Mr. Wizard
                                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                        I respectfully disagree with your assessment. According to the StorageReview.com reliability survey, the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 15,000rpm drive has a 97th percentile ranking, meaning it is one of the most reliable drives bar none.

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Wizard
                                          I respectfully disagree with your assessment. According to the StorageReview.com reliability survey, the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 15,000rpm drive has a 97th percentile ranking, meaning it is one of the most reliable drives bar none.
                                          But it's made by Seagate, not WD :B :rofl:
                                          Jason

Comment

• mjb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

I see a lot of these Mac vs. PC threads. People pretty much have their minds made up one way or the other, but I will say that many of the old anti-Mac arguments just aren't true anymore. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself http://www.apple.com/getamac/
                                            Oh, and, Mac's rock!
                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Brandon B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by comeup
                                              Jon would parallels run as fast as a regular pc and run high video gaming software?
                                              No, presently 3D is one thing that suffers greatly under Parallels, as it does not have direct access to the video hardware, which Macs are still sort of hobbled on generally anyway.

You can use Boot camp and boot natively into windows if you want to game on the Mac. Down the road, Parallels is working on improving 3D performance.

BB

Comment

• Nick M
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Started with a Commodore 64, then went to Apple II, then Windows 3.1/95/98SE/XP, and now I'm running OS-X along with XP in my MacBook.

I prefer OS-X by far! It pretty much already does everything that Vista is trying to do. The next OS-X release will simply leave microsoft in the dust (you can see it's features on Apple's site).

As mentioned, I do keep XP on my Macbook for the occassional piece of software that I need to use that is exclusively PC.

Just my vote. :T
                                                ~Nick

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Oct 2005

I've used PCs fairly exclusively since we got a IBM PC Jr. when I was about 5 (23yrs ago). I have used some Sun, Unix, etc systems also.

I just bought a MacBook a couple of weeks ago and really like it. Things seem to be integrated more cleanly, I can't really describe it well, you just have to try it.

My only deal is that PCs have more software, but like Nick said, you can always run Bootcamp.
                                                  Danish

Comment

• comeup
                                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                                    I've used PCs fairly exclusively since we got a IBM PC Jr. when I was about 5 (23yrs ago). I have used some Sun, Unix, etc systems also.

I just bought a MacBook a couple of weeks ago and really like it. Things seem to be integrated more cleanly, I can't really describe it well, you just have to try it.

My only deal is that PCs have more software, but like Nick said, you can always run Bootcamp.

How do you like not using spyware programs or anti-virus? IMO they are viruses. Its nice to be worry free in that dept. I have a ibook a couple of years old so I can't use bootcamp, but is it vulnerable to viruses with XP?
                                                    Blake

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by comeup
                                                      ...but is it vulnerable to viruses with XP?

YES, running bootcamp is pretty much the same as running Windows. Actually, it IS the same...

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"