X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ED K
    • Apr 2005

MX3000 remote

I looking for a remote that can control my HT/stereo system, Media center computer and the X10 lighting controls I'm using. Currently I use (believe it or not) ten different remotes! There has to be a better way.
    I have been reading reviews of the MX3000 and it seems that it would meet my needs but I would like to get some feedback from this forum before I take the plunge. There also seems to be big difference in price out there-$639 to $999. Any advice on where to order it if I were to get one would be appreciated.
    Those who know it all know less than those who don't
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Welllllll..
    Myself and a few other guys at work have been playing with them for the last 3 weeks.

Best Buy Magnolia sells them, they are 999.

Basicly what it is, is a computer in the shape of a remote!! The two guys at work say that programming of the remote is in the $500 range!!

It can do WHATEVER you want, you put your OWN screens,pictures, sounds, buttons what and wherever you want.

I have not programmed one, but watch these guys mess with them, they spend SEVERAL hours doing it..
    They said its like writing code for a computer longhand...

I was told they would try and find one for me to have also, but honostly... i dont know how much I could take with the programming.

Its supposed to be GREAT, and do WHATEVER you want.... but if your going to program it yourself, i was told dont expect to do it in a few evenings, to be able to mess with it on your free time... and its a never ending learning/programming process.

Or pay quite a bit to have someone who has some remotes already written/programmed do it for ya.

Let us know how it works out!
    B&W

Comment

• Audiophiliac
      • Apr 2006

I have programmed several of these and they are indeed very slick and can be very powerful. I am looking into DMX3000 software for DVD "jukeboxes" that allows you to load cover art and movie info on the remote and sort through it.

I wouldnt say that programming is "like writing code for a computer longhand". It is like the MX850 software on steroids. If you can program an MX850, you can program the MX3000. There are lots more options and stuff, but overall its not too hard.

I really like it over the Philips/Marantz remotes. I think the RC9500 looks better, but the MX3000 feels better and is more flexible.

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
        I have programmed several of these and they are indeed very slick and can be very powerful. I am looking into DMX3000 software for DVD "jukeboxes" that allows you to load cover art and movie info on the remote and sort through it.

I wouldnt say that programming is "like writing code for a computer longhand". It is like the MX850 software on steroids. If you can program an MX850, you can program the MX3000. There are lots more options and stuff, but overall its not too hard.

I really like it over the Philips/Marantz remotes. I think the RC9500 looks better, but the MX3000 feels better and is more flexible.
        :agree: The universal remote is the way to go. The first time you program one you are going to screw it all up. Do not be uspet. What I mean is you are going to forget to program something. You will find out what you forgot once you put away your computer and start to use the silly thing.

Best advise that I can give is keep your computer near you for the first few days that you sit down to use it. When you forget that you did not "punch through" the volume controls on every screen to the amp, and you realize that when watching somthing you can not turn the volume up or down, just go in, make the fix, load it and try again!

The remote is really the heat. I have an 850 in my living room. I also have Lutron lights that my remote controls as well. Very nice feature.

Stay away from the RF 250 base. That thing is a piece of crap. I will never use the RF 250 base ever again! Just spend the extra 100 bucks or so and get the RF300 base!

If you already got the 250 base, and you notice problems "hide the base station in your rack" I am not joking, a buddy of mine turned me onto this trick for RF250 issues. Take the base and put it under all your AV cables, anything to hide the silly thing. It is like the base station gets overloaded or something. A way to check and see if you are having a problem that hiding the base will fix try this.

If you try changing the chan and it is slow, or sometimes does not work until you hit the function several times, go to another room in your house. Have someone tell you if it is working. My inlaws were having a problem with their 850 remote. I walked all the way to the back yard and the stupid thing worked like a champ! I burried it under all the CAT5E and speaker wires in their AV rack and it works great now!

NOTE: Never had any problems with RF300 base station!
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

A trick with the base stations is to play with the range gain and the individual IR gains. I normally have to crank the range gain on the antenna all the way down for consistent operation. But fiddling with all the knobs will get it where you want it most often.

Damn IR. Its 2006 already....can we ditch the dinosaur blinking red "eyes"?!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Lol!
            B&W

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

A trick with the base stations is to play with the range gain and the individual IR gains. I normally have to crank the range gain on the antenna all the way down for consistent operation. But fiddling with all the knobs will get it where you want it most often.

Damn IR. Its 2006 already....can we ditch the dinosaur blinking red "eyes"?!
              While I do not disagree with adjusting the gain on the IR outs, I am 99.9% sure that the RF-250 does not have this function. Unless I missed it in the programing software?? The RF300 has the dials on the top that allows you to make this adjustment. But the 250 does not.

Turn off the front blaster as well. That stupid thing just causes problems for me.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                • Apr 2006

Yeah. I dont use the 250 for the fact alone that it uses 2.5mm plugs on the emitters as opposed to the universally used 3.5mm plugs EVERYONE else uses. I have had several of the UR emitters DOA, and on the 250 you would have to order more or splice a 3.5 end on.

But I think we did only one 250, then decided it was ghey.

Another IR tip of the day: Use blasters for DirecTV receivers (D10, D20, H10, H20, HR10-250 Tivo, etc). Yes...the huge 2-piece claw things that stick above and below the unit. Play around with the placement until it works.

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

Yeah. I dont use the 250 for the fact alone that it uses 2.5mm plugs on the emitters as opposed to the universally used 3.5mm plugs EVERYONE else uses. I have had several of the UR emitters DOA, and on the 250 you would have to order more or splice a 3.5 end on.
                  AMEN! I have not had 1 250 base that did not have at least 1 bad emitter! Pissed me off. Problem is I have a few 250 bases left in the back!

Thanks for the Tip on the Tivo unit for direct TV I was having an issue with that last week.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Snap
                    AMEN! I have not had 1 250 base that did not have at least 1 bad emitter! Pissed me off. Problem is I have a few 250 bases left in the back!

Thanks for the Tip on the Tivo unit for direct TV I was having an issue with that last week.

No prob. I have f'ed with enough of those bloody boxes. So one day I broke out the blaster and BAM!

We got away with doing 4 H10 in a rack controlled via IR by Crestron, and somehow it all works. So who knows. But the Tivo units have that retared convex IT sensor cover! Who on earth would have though of that??

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

No prob. I have f'ed with enough of those bloody boxes. So one day I broke out the blaster and BAM!

We got away with doing 4 H10 in a rack controlled via IR by Crestron, and somehow it all works. So who knows. But the Tivo units have that retared convex IT sensor cover! Who on earth would have though of that??
                      hmmmmm Crestron......gee I wonder why? LOL freaking good gear that is why. I am an AMX type of dude. Crestron is down the street. :lol:

Comment

• ED K
                        • Apr 2005

I purchased the MX3000 and have spent considerable time teaching myself the programing. In one word (it is the best remote I have EVER had!), well maybe a few more words than one.The capabilities are just outstanding. If anyone has been thinking of getting the MX3000, it is well worth the$$$$$$

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Its pretty cool isnt it? Have you seen the software that allows you to control a DVD changer with it? It list all of the DVD covers right on the screen, here is a link to the guy who made the software, check it out its really cool.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                            • Apr 2006

I got that software and havent had a chance to play with it yet. One of our clients is thinking of getting a MX3000 and use that. I will have to let you know how it works if he does it. Mostly because I would probably have to program most of it for him.

And although it is my favorite remote control, its not my favorite user interface device. Think Crestron

Comment

• ED K
                              • Apr 2005

dvd software for MX3000

I got the DVD software from TripleB. It is fantastic! I have loaded 241 DVDs into the remote. It is very simple to use and very impressive to see.
                              The remote programing has been fun and it has become addictive. I have spent a great amount of time playing with it. I am able to control EVERY (11)component in my HT setup plus the lighting. I'm still looking for more things to control with it. Every time I come up with a new idea, I'm back to the programing the remote. It has been just fun!! :T

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"