X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xixel
    • Dec 2005

Cable selection

Ok, I've got a soundcard on the way (M-Audio Audiophile 192) and I want to run it to my rotel RC-1090, whats the best way to do this? the card has balanced 1/4" outputs, should I buy a wire that goes from 1/4" to XLR into my preamp?

Soundcard:

Back of preamp gif attached

I need to run it close to 15 feet maybe less
    Attached Files
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

Yes, 1/4" balanced to XLR. Any music store should have it.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Neither your Rotel and I doubt the M-audio card are true balanced designs. In other words save money or put that extra money in to higher quality RCA connections. Try the link at the bottom of the page for Cat Cables. Doug will hook you up with some reasonably priced, quality RCA's
      Jason

Comment

• xixel
        • Dec 2005

really hope the card works out, couldnt afford much of anything else right now this is kind of temp. so you'd think I'd be better off getting high quality 1/4" to RCA? just want the best route from my soundcard to the preamp

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

yup
          Jason

Comment

• wildfire99
            • Aug 2005

That sucks that the Rotel isn't... what's with that. :x The M-Audio had better be balanced though, as it's based on their Delta professional stuff (not that it's terribly professional either...).

I never liked 1/4" to RCA, but eh, what else can you do. I read the outputs on the Audiophile are also -10dBv... true?
            - Patrick

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

true balanced from computer audio? doubtful, very doubtful. I'd say 1/4" to RCA makes the most sense of anything. Besides guys, there's no way you can magically make something balanced from a 2 wire unbalanced output.

In order for something to have balanced outputs, it's going to have to have an XLR output to begin with. I believe, otherwise it's unbalanced by design.

Doug
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• xixel
                • Dec 2005

Thanks for the input guys, this setup is only really temprary, till I can afford something much better so I think I'll save the money on the good cables for the time being, plan to upgrade within a few months and I'll def be seeing cat cable when that time comes

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I'll look forward to it Mr. X.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• wildfire99
                    • Aug 2005

1/4" TRS is capable of carrying a balanced signal (stero style plug: tip, ring, and sleeve). 1/4" TS is not. I don't like it in the studio though (it gets confusing), but it's the de-facto patchbay format. My next PC 'card' will probably be an external box like the MOTU 828mk2. 1/4" TRS outputs, the combo jacks on input. Oh yeah, it's balanced.

It is all upsetting though, because I never realized before looking at home audio equipment that so much of it is mired in misrepresentation. Or, is it really just home audio?
                    - Patrick

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wildfire99
                      Or, is it really just home audio?
                      Sadly no. Seems that's the world we live in....

All we can do is try dig through the muck and make the best of it :B That's why places like HTG exist :T
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"