X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Help this poor computer challenged dude

I've been thinking about going with a wireless mouse, and a laser mouse in particular. What I'm wondering is, how does wireless work ? Do I need to buy or have something installed on my PC to accept wireless ? I know. I'm stupid.
    My Homepage!
  • spirited
    • Jan 2005

George you are not stupid! All you need is a USB port which you probably have on your computer. The way it works: You attach a box that comes with the mouse to one of your USB ports on your computer, that transmits a signal from the mouse to your computer effectively replacing the wire. That's all. Everytime you move the mouse, you'll probanly see an LED flashing telling you that it's working and transmitting the position of the cursor back to your computer.

Larry

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Just remember to have some spare batteries, rechargables are a good idea.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Thanks, Paul and Larry. Sounds simple enough. The mouse I am looking at comes with a rechargable unit.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I'm still one of the few I think that doesn't like wireless (yet), because I don't like the weight of the mouse with the battery/battery pack in them.

So that might or might not bother you.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Paul H
            • Feb 2004

George,

I picked one up a few weeks ago and brought it back a few days later - the charging of batteries was one annoyance but I found the heavier weight of the mouse really irritating too.

YMMV of course but just a thought to consider.

Paul

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

My Logitech laser (MX 7000 or something... the first one) works like a charm. Yes, it's heavy. The rechargeable batteries work great, the unit goes for several days of 10+ hr sessions, and recharges in about an hour and a half to full capacity. I'm so lazy, that I do have a cheap optical mouse hooked up too (Microsoft $15 budget) for when the Logitech dies in the middle of a work day. I use the optical for an hour or so then I'm back in business.

The MX is heavy, very heavy by mouse standards at 5.8oz (the MS optical mouse is 2.6oz -- exactly half, interestingly). However I don't notice it since I have the acceleration and sensitivity set so I don't need to play the 'pick up and set down' game at the edges of the mat. The laser is very accurate, and tracks on nearly everything save perfectly smooth and homogenous materials. I have even used it on glass with some success.

I picked mine up about a year ago on sale for $50. The only downside to the mouse is the transmitting distance. It really doesn't want to be more than 3-4 feet away from the base/recharger station. If you have clutter inbetween the station and the mouse, the distance shrinks a bit. I keep the base station about a foot away from the mouse.

Compared to the optical, the laser mouse is easier to handle for graphics operations, where it's almost like surgery making sure to pick and airbrush the right pixels in a natural way. The optical mouse has almost no weight at all, and that makes it a bit easy to overshoot or play 'pick up and drop' quite a bit, which is unconsciously irritating. In terms of accuracy, I don't notice a difference with either. I feel the sampling limits of both the USB port and the programs I use are the problem with any lack of fine granularity in motion. My tablet feels 'smoother' yet has one-half to one-quarter the sample rate, because of interpolation. The laser simply allows for use on more surfaces.

Overall I will never go back to a corded mouse if I have to. When I use the optical the 'weight' of the cord being dragged is always there, and it always catches on something. Plus, I've gotten rather used to the idea of being able to recline back and use the mouse on my thigh for a bit, when doing a little extended web browsing.
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Never thought much about the weight thing. I'd probably try it out anyway before I go ahead and buy it. The one I am looking at is the MX1000 laser. The local Staples has it for $49.95 so I'm not wasting too much if I am not happy. Actually , the extra weight may be good for me. I find that my optical mouse really jumps around on me. I think I'm moving it too quickly. It's pretty light even when compared to my old ball mouse.

Maybe placement of the computer will be a problem for me if I want to go wireless. My computer sits on a shelf down near the floor. The USB port is at the back. Will that position still receive a signal from the mouse ?
                Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 12 November 2005, 15:18 Saturday.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• wildfire99
                  • Aug 2005

The base unit has a 6 foot or so cord. My computer is on the floor in the corner and I have no issues leaving the base unit/recharging station on top of the desk.

On a side note, I got a USB hub a while ago. It makes plugging things in way, way easier, because I can plug the hub into the computer itself, and have the hub sitting on top of the desk, where it's accessible. (I do a lot of swapping components, though.)
                  - Patrick
                  "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Most wireless mice can be used up to 30 - 40 feet away, so you shouldn't have any problem with a wireless mouse even if you had to put the receiver hidden on the floor in the back.

But like wildfire said, most come with a pretty decent cord.

Just remember to always charge the mouse over night (throw it on the cradle to charge it), don't want to be mid way during the day using it and have to end up charging the thing.
                    Last edited by PewterTA; 09 November 2005, 16:07 Wednesday.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Thanks, Guys.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Sounds to complicated to count on to me. I'm a trackball sort of guy, gimme my wires or give me well, a laptop.
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"