X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

HTPC case?

Does anybody have an idea what the best HTPC case is that would support PCI-Express video card. I was looking at this but i'm really thrilled about the specs on it...also, I'm more of an AMD person than a Intel...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Aug 2003

Just build your own system Get an Asus mobo socket 939 for an AMD64 CPU, maybe a case by Ahanix or just about any other case manufacturer etc :T

If you need more info than that we'll need more info like budget, what exactly you want this system to do ie: DVR, music/movie server, DVD playback, game playback etc
    Jason

Comment

• maseline_98
      • Apr 2005

Well...my budget is ~$600. I already picked up an budget HD video card BFG 6600 PCI express. I'm not going to do much gaming anyway. Maybe some RTS(age of empires III will be out soon ). I would like a case that has a remote and possibly power it on using that remote(not sure if that is even possible...I think it will only do that if the PC is in sleep mode already). There are a few cases that I looked at the were visually pleasing...Kinda like it to look like another piece of audio equipment. Any help would be appreciated...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
      Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

So you budget is ~$600 for a motherboard/CPU/HD/case/powersupply and WinXP MC? That could be pretty tight....

I believe Media centre has a remote that come with it, if not I believe logitech makes one. I'll assume you're using the onboard network and audio of the mobo as your budget doesn't really allow for a seperate audio card. That BFG6600 is I'm guessing based off the Nvidia 6600 series....?

I personally like Ahanix cases.

They make a wide variety of VERY nice HTPC cases. You'll have to decide if you want a Micro-ATX mobo and case or ATX mobo/case. They cost a bit more but IMO they're worth it. If I remember correctly they offer their own quiet power supply's but another good place to check out quiet PS's and other quiet HTPC gear is http://www.quietpcusa.com/ and http://www.silentpcreview.com/

You should be able to pick up an Asus socket 939 mobo for ~$100 and a Socket 939 Athlon 64 for ~$150, Samsung Sata HD for ~$100
        Jason

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

If you can go with a "not like my other audio gear" case you can save a bundle and have an easier time keeping things cool and quiet... Otherwise, most of the cases that have the "audio" look are half (or more!) of your budget alone.

I'm using an Antec SLK3000 with front and rear fans at 5V. I can't hear it, and it sits on a shelf above/behind my head in the theater.

It's a budget system: Radeon 9800, Sempron 3100+, on a socket 754 ABIT board. Using the onboard sound for digital out. Fanless bridge, Zalman "flower" heatsinks on video and CPU. Had it for a while, so you can do better spec now for what I paid.

I don't use XP-MC either...
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Good advice here. Problem with "pretty" HTPC cases is that they're expensive- I know, I've bought a few over the years, still using an ATC case that supports MATX only.

Realistically, for your budget, focus on finding a good standard case with good flow through cooling that's inherently quiet- forget appearance. On of the quietest is the Antec Performance One P180, which uses a sandwich sidewall construction that really controls noise and resonance in the case itself.

And you can put a full size ATX MB and whatever power supply you need, depending on your goals- it doesn't come with one, so you don't have the extra expense to throw one away.

Then, it's just finding the MB and processor combo that meets your cost performance - I have used Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI with good results. I think the San Diego PR4000 core is the sweet spot of cost performance, but it would be outside your current budget.

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I just ordered my parts from my new music server for $400. For $600. It can be done. But I did have my harddrive already. Check out www.htpcnews.com and their forums for more help.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"