X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goskers
    • Jun 2004

HTPC plan (long)

Hello all,

I have come here to run some ideas by the people who are much more knowledgable about htpc's than I am. I am in the planning stages to build a very nice machine that is more focused as a high end music server than htpc. At the same time, I want to go ahead and make a high quality htpc as they are both along the same lines.

Case: Either an Ahanix d-vine series 4 or a Silentsource LC03. I would like to have a very well laidout chasis that will look very good foro the future. The most important thing I want in a case is the ability to make it silent.

Mobo and Chipset: I already have the motherboard and processor that I will be using for the time being; they are the ASUS A7N8X-E DLX and Athlon XP 2500.

Power Supply: With noise in mind I am thinking of the Seasonic Super Tornado 300 or 350.

Hard Drives: I will be using the Samsung with Spinpoint for the new HDD's. These seem to be the quietest available.

Soundcard: Not real sure about this one yet. I am a stereo music guy, I am running my DIY speakers off of a DEQX PDC2.6 which has an onboard dac using OPA2134 op amps so I am not sure if it would be better to do the converting before hand or send the digital signal to the DEQX and let that thing convert it.
    If I would do it onboard then I think one of the EMU offerings would be a good choice. I would love to use a Lynx card but I don't think that is in the budget at the moment.

Videocard: I really don't know here. I would like to be able to play dvd's as well as see hidef signals with a cable feed as well. Again, this is definitely my weak spot so help and req's are needed. I don't need the highest end as I never like buying cutting edge technology because of the price.

Any comments or help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

wasser :T
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Just a crazy idea and a way to get more storage and the spinning hard drives out of the audio/HT room - build a server with a RAID array and put it in a closet or basement, and connect it via LAN to the HTPC. This will make the HTPC cooler and quieter and it'll give you access to your music/movie files throughout the house (on other networked PCs).

And since you can never have too much disk space for such an application (especially if you start loading your DVDs onto the drives), an array on a server/servers will give you future expandability.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kevin's got a GOOD thought there. Isolate the storage away from the HT (all those whirring disks - ya know?) and give yourself almost unlimited expansion capabilities. Plus, the RAID array is great for redundancy. :yesnod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• goskers
        • Jun 2004

Well, I've thought of that but I really don't know that much about it. How could I get both a high quality audio and video feed off of that setup?

I will also be using this as my main computer so that is another issue I suppose. How can I do normal functions on a setup like this?

Sorry for the beginner questions.

Any thoughts on the audio side of things?

wasser

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

A 100Mbit Ethernet connection is fast enough to stream DVD-quality video with room to spare (ideally, it should be a dedicated connection, separate from your home LAN). The server would just house the files, the HTPC would handle the playback duties.

If you want to use it as a "main" computer, it's going to need more stuff on it than I would normally want on a HTPC. In particular, things like anti-virus software, a firewall, stuff like that. These things can slow down an HTPC's performance and affect its ability to render top quality video. I think you'd be better off with the HTPC as just a HTPC and dedicate another computer for everyday use (surfing, email, banking etc.)

As for quality feeds, you'll want a good quality video card such as a ATI Radeon or NVidia 6800+ or similar. For audio, the most important thing is a sound card that has a good SPDIF output on it, so you can run digital audio into your receiver or pre-pro.

Comment

• goskers
            • Jun 2004

So, if I am understanding your proposal correctly then I would have all my big HDD's with my main rig with a small one for bootup and such in my htpc?

This is not the exact way that I wanted because I wanted an all-in-one machine but this way does make sense in the end. Keep all the noisy, big stuff out of the quiet environment.

So, what would you guys recommend to do for the input to my DEQX PDC2.6 which is the 'brain' of my audio setup? Here is a link to the backpanel options: http://www.deqx.com/dsp-product/PDC-2-6-backpanel.html
            Not sure weather utilizing the onboard d/a conversion would be the best option or not.

Thanks

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

So, what would you guys recommend to do for the input to my DEQX PDC2.6 which is the 'brain' of my audio setup? Here is a link to the backpanel
              Well since you have a Coax-in
              either of these would work nicely:

No upsmaple issues with M-Audio products
              Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"