• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmak
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2002

Multimedia Speakers Decision

Hi,

Just acquired a decent desktop and I opted out of purchasing speakers with the package. I've looked at the Bose dimension3, and a number of others at Future Shop. I've also poked around on the web and the Klipschs have caught my fancy. How many of you have 5.1 at the computer, and if you do is it utilized? I know the 2.1 would get a work out from my daughters, but they're not gamers and we have a full HT in the room adjacent, so I'm having a little difficulty justifying the extra $$$. I just don't want to regret a scaled back purchase. Is there a system that allows you to but the sub module with 2 speakers, but has the additional jacks in place to upgrade later?

Ken
    Attached Files
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

How many of you have 5.1 at the computer, and if you do is it utilized?
    I do and yes it's utilized but mostly on games. :yesnod:

I have an N-Force2 based board but I have an older Logitech 5.1 setup (no digital decoder module) so 5.1 is only utilized on DVD's right now (which I rarely watch at the PC) or games that output 4.1. However the offerings from Logitech, Creative, Yamaha and Klipsch would change all that since their decoders are built-in to the package. That would be a nice option for NForce boards which will encode everything to 5.1 on the fly.

So right now, my on-board surround simply echos the mains in the surrounds for most 2.1 stuff. Unless the software player has DDPLIIx decoders built in.

I also have an older 7.1 card from hercules that's not in use right now.

a possible option:
    home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

or

or if you can still find it:

Don't know of any upgradeable 2.1 system, other than the one you build yourself using a reciever and adding speakers the old fashioned way. Maybe a bookshelf based system might be more what you're looking for.

A future pc speaker upgrade for me would likely be the cheaper digital Logitech option. Creative's speakers have always had a mushy bass to me. The cheaper Logitech (similar to the x-530 series) has a crappy sub as well (really boomy).
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I say go 2.1 (or 3.1 if you can find one, centre channel would be nice ) Otherwise I'd connect the PC to your HT for a more emmersive experience :T
      Jason

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Just had a quick look around... not seeing too many 3.1 channel systems left out there.... There was a few a couple years back and they work great for a desktop system (as most people don't have good locations or the ability to properly place surrounds. That's a shame....
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Found these on some french site :lol:

Another option could be to get some powered HT speakers and use analog outputs from the PC.... Something like some Genelec's would be sweet and you could get a nice 3.1 system :T :P
          Genelec loudspeakers are designed for demanding professional, home and AV installation use.

Genelec loudspeakers are designed for demanding professional, home and AV installation use.

Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

I know a good 3.1 is an interesting option for the PC but honestly there's just more fun factor having surround sound. The thing is you may or may not be able to do it right based on your desk setup. For racing games it is WAY COOL! It's a nice option when playing DVD's as well. You've almost talked me into upgrading just to fully utlilize the NForce board....maybe this X-mas.
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well those Altec's I posted above give you psuedo surrounds if you notice the top drivers on the mains face the walls to reflect sound back and around you. I've never personally had a computer space where I could pust surrounds in without them being poorly positioned, wires across floors etc, etc...
              Jason

Comment

• Cowanrg
                • Feb 2004

those genelecs would be nice, but i think you might be a bit surprised by how much they are. I have them at an MSRP of $1395 each (in my dealer price book). would be a NICE computer speaker.

check out the NHT's, they are great. about $500 a pair. nice metal cabinet, decent drivers, nice connections, etc...

NHT (Now Hear This), Llc. is an American loudspeaker company based in Benicia, California that specializes in acoustic suspension loudspeakers and patented in-ceiling speakers

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Oh I wouldn't be surprised at all..... :lol:

They ain't cheap that's for sure!
                  Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

I can say that I really really really really like my Logitech 5.1 setup. I think I paid $80 for it. The Z530's.

Comment

• crstrand
                      • Jan 2002

I have the Klipsch 2.1 and they rock the casbah. Ironically, they rock it so much my wife always makes me wear my headphones so the Klipsch haven't seen alot of hours
                      If I'm not mistaken, surround sound was invented to allow listeners in suboptimal seating positions to experience a similar sensation to listeners in optimal seating positions (and, arguably, to compensate for less than ideal listening environments).
                      If you're the only one in front of your monitor, then you should be able to position the stereo speakers to provide the best possible sound image.
                      I suppose there will be pro- and ex-ponents for any solution. Get what you can afford that sounds good to you and has the appropriate SAF (Spousal Approval Factor).

Comment

• AndrewM
                        • Oct 2000

How about some Swan M200's? I've never heard a bad review on them

Comment

• Patt
                          • Feb 2005

Those have some beautiful cabinets........wow! :E
                          ......Pat

Comment

• taz13
                            • Jun 2004

A friend of mine just set this up for his desktop computer room solution. He combined it with a 10" ported sub in a 1'>3 and a 150w plate amp. If you have the money and never want to worry about quality sound it is excellent.
                            Attached Files
                            The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                            Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Those swans can be purchased from newegg and would be the top ones on my list if I were in the market.

Comment

• purplepeople
                                • Aug 2004

All this talk about multi-buck speakers without one whiff on the soundcard. I hope that we're not using the on-board connectors... at least an Audigy, eh?

ensen.
                                Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by purplepeople
                                  All this talk about multi-buck speakers without one whiff on the soundcard. I hope that we're not using the on-board connectors... at least an Audigy, eh?

ensen.
                                  No Creative products! :nonod: :throwup:
                                  Jason

Comment

• taz13
                                    • Jun 2004

I would rather use on board then use Creative. My preference and what I use is the M-Audio Rev 7.1. But sound cards are not what the thread is about.
                                    The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                                    Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by taz13
                                      I would rather use on board then use Creative. My preference and what I use is the M-Audio Rev 7.1. But sound cards are not what the thread is about.
                                      I'm with you Taz ... Sorry Purple....
                                      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2001

No Creative products!
                                        Different strokes I guess. My Audigy 2zs has been the best sound card I've ever tried.

Comment

• purplepeople
                                          • Aug 2004

Hey, I wasn't trying to hijak the thread... I've just seen too many HTPCs that use the onboard sound circuits, which usually translate into a really bad noise floor.

Since a pair of Genelecs will only amplify the problem, by inquiring about the source, I'm just trying to ensure that Ken isn't needlessly dropping money on speakers when a $100 sound card will improve his noise floor by 20dB or more.

ensen.
                                          Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"