X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

What is a good remote?

I'm looking for a learning remote that does macros for my A/V system. I would like to be able to load a macro(call it "SPORTS")...that Turns on TV, receiver, cable box, sets TV to correct visual settings(constrast, brightness..ect), sets cable box to ESPNHD and sets my receiver to current input, ect. I don't know if this is even possible, but would like to know if there is such a remote that does this. I currently have the RC1400 that came with my marantz SR8400. I've never used macros before so I might be missing the point of them. I would kinda like to get all of this for no more than $250(ideal price would be $100-$150). Seems like a lot for a remote, but I was on marantz's webpage and they have RC9500 for $1100 8O and I think that's a little crazy for a remote considering I got a HDTV and Receiver for that.

I was looking at the Sony RM-AV300.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Dec 2000

Yeah, maseline, there's a few out there that are very high powered. Me, I had my eye on a Theater Master MX-700 remote for a long time, and ended up getting one with my Parasound system. I love it--fully programmable and customizable through computer connection, macros, learning, database, LCD and hard buttons... the works. Don't remember, but I think MSRP is around $299, you can find it for less.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Though I sell many brands, my personal favorites are the Theater Master series. User friendly and ergonomically correct. I have personally owned Sony's but I don't like them at all in comparison.

Of course, the Pronto TSU7000 is in a league of it's own though it has some ergonomic challenges.
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Given that budget I'd look at the TSU3000 from philips. Talk to Jimmy and see what he can get one to you for or look on the used market if you feel comfortable doing that. I've been custom programming these and older version for years to do exactly what you're asking for. If you like fire me an email and I'll provide you with a sample of what my own file looks like that you can play with in the downloadable emulator.

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

BTW, Andrew does a phenomenal job with the programming. :T

Comment

• mitch57
            • Nov 2004

I personally own the Home Theater Master MX-500 which is the little brother of the MX-700. I think HTM, also known as Universal Remote Control, makes the best remotes out there. http://www.hometheatermaster.com/

Some things to consider are what type of remote do you prefer? Hard button or LCD? I personally prefer the tactical feed back of the hard button remote. Plus the ease of use in the dark. You can operate it by feel instead of having to look at the LCD screen all the time.

If you want to know more about remotes go here:

Reviews of the latest universal remote controls, a file area, programming help, message forums and more!

If you want to purchase a remote I would suggest purchasing through one of these retailers. If you don't purchase from an authorized dealer you won't get a warranty.

surfremotecontrol.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, surfremotecontrol.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Mitch
            :stupidpc:

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

:agree: I could not agree more. I own the MX-700 and it is the best thing out there in my oppinion. It is very simular to the MX-500 with a major exception. It is the first line of remotes that you can program with a computer. the MX-500 you have to program hitting the buttons on the remote itself. The programming on the MX-700 is VERY easy and there are endless possibilites for you to do stuff. You simply download the software from Universal, and a picture of the remote comes up on the computer. After that it is easy to prgram your macros. If there is a problem take a look at what it does when and you can see if you missed a step. The only thing that is hard to do, is remember to program the volume on each of the settings. IE TV, SAT, DVD, CD ETC. If you do not tell it to go to the A/V Receiver the default settings is the device you have set it for. IE if it is on TV then thhe Vol up and down control the TV's volume up and down, not the Denon! Easy fix though. If you need RF you will need to go up to the MX-850. but Universal Makes a sweet remote. :5: :T I am not sure if Jimmy carries the Universal Line ask if he does.

I too love the old school buttons on my remotes. I had the remote that came with the Denon 3805 for a while, hated the thing. :M I will never go back to a touch screen remote again. (There are more issues with that remote than just the touch screen.) But that is just me. 8)

I would get a Universal Remote!
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Mitch:

I would add that I am an authorized dealer of these remotes and clearly stand behind any product I sell.

Jim

Comment

• mitch57
                  • Nov 2004

jimmyp58,

Didn't mean to leave you out of the picture. But you should contact HTM in get your self added to their list of authorized dealers. I couldn't find you there when I did a search.
                  Mitch
                  :stupidpc:

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Mitch57 (and all):

FYI, there are numerous authorized dealers that don't show up on a manufacturer's website as authorized dealers for various reasons. In my particular situation, as a custom design/installer (and there are literally thousands of us), we don't get counted in the masses as 'dealers' due to our setup. This doesn't mean we aren't authorized and if anyone had a concern, I (or any of us) can point a concerned customer to any of our contacts that can vouch for us (e.g., a distributor or the manufacturer themselves). Their websites would be absolutely littered with so many folks so they simply choose those that have a storefront and guarantee "x" dollars per year in sales.

Jim

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

For those curious, many of us can vouch for Jim.

As for Andrew, take him up on his offer. Andrew Pratt has a LOT of experience and knowledge programming remotes.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Thanks Chris....

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Orion MX-850, love this thing, easy to program, and ergonomically designed, much better than the Yami 2000 touchscreen remote it replaced.

I will vouch for Jim as well :T .

Just my 2 cents,

Azeke
                          Last edited by Azeke; 17 May 2005, 18:54 Tuesday.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Thanks Azeke!

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

You're welcome, Jim.

Azeke

Comment

• KeithM
                                • Oct 2005

I've heard that the Harmoney 880 remote(I think, correct me if I'm wrong) is pretty good and can be on ebay for around 90-100 dollars.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                  • Aug 2004

I don't think they would be that cheap...if so I would be leery....
                                  But,I have seen them less than two hundred...which was around what I paid for my
                                  Orion mx-850,which I really like.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"