X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siberian
    • Dec 2004

Given up on Crestron, Hello Pronto!

I've just about given up on my Crestron dream for controlling my AutoPatch. The software is just super obtuse and I don't have time to deal with it. Andrew has convinced me of the Pronto's superiority so I'll grab a TSU2000 from ebay and get cracking on it!

Watch out Andrew, here I come

John-
  • siberian
    • Dec 2004

some additional info if possible.

Speaking of which, Andrew, what makes the 6000 less desireable software wise in your eyes? You've said its a pain to program and I respect your opinion but the 2 way IR and enhanced UI are pretty sexy. Could you elaborate a bit on why you prefer the 1000/2000 series software environment?

I'm super excited to start making progress on this one again!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The 6000 isn't the problem its the 7000 that IMO has some issues yet to be resolved. The problem now though is that you can't buy new 6000's anymore

The newer 7000 model has a lot of memory onboard that hasn't been made available yet and it still can't control all the devices that the earlier models could from a freq response stand point. I know I've got a client with an electrohome projector that his 7000 can't learn codes from but his 6000 does fine with.

If you need any help with that 2000 you know where to find me

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

If Andrew was a real man, he could help with the Crestron. lol.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Doug if I had your income I could afford Creston lol

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Is the 7000 better or worse overall than the 3000 in terms of the prontoedit software? The latest version of the 3000 prontoedit seems to be improved somewhat, as is the remote's firmware. I know it was a disaster when it first came out though.

I've done a few 3000s (and have gotten pretty good at it) but haven't done a 7000 though (but I will be in the next couple weeks).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The new version of the NG software for the 3000 is better then the old version and much better then the PRO version used for the 7000 which hasn't been updated yet :roll:

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

The price of entry to Crestron sure has been a lot. I haven't heard lately. How much? I wonder.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• siberian
                  • Dec 2004

I got all my crestrong equipment on ebay. Its all solid stuff but its a real nightmare to code for.

Question, for Pronto, I'll be able to invent my own IR codes right? I'm not obsessed with controlling all my devices, we like our Tivo remote a lot. The main goal is a custom app that allows my wife to:

1) Pick a 'custom source' (transmit custom IR signal for source)
                  2) Pick a list of 'destinations' (transmit custom IR signal for each destination) 3) Press a 'go' button (transmit custom IR signal to execute action).

All IR goes to a PC that controls my autopatch via serial. Upon 'Go' button press/IR transmit the PC will send something like 'XCI1O4 5 6T' which translates to

'X' - Cancel commands / clear buffer
                  'C' - Change matrix config
                  'I1' - Select input 1
                  'O4 5 6' - Select outputs 4,5 and 6 to route it to
                  'T' - Take (execute).

So, in this world I would create an IR command for X, C, T and each of my inputs/outputs. On each press I transmit to a PC that stores the data until 'T' is requested. There will have to be logic on the PC to handle exceptions etc (midstream 'C' commans bla bla bla).

Does that scenario make sense with a Pronto?

Thanks folks! Can't wait to sell this crestron stuff

John-

Originally posted by Lex
                  The price of entry to Crestron sure has been a lot. I haven't heard lately. How much? I wonder.

Lex

Comment

• siberian
                    • Dec 2004

For those who haven't seen here are some pics of my distributed home run A/V thingie I have been hobbying around with.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Although I suspect it might be possible to build a custom IR code what most people do is just use a IR code that belongs to a device you don't own and then tell your PC to listen for that signal. Thats not something I've ever had to deal with since I gave up on my HTPC and all my gear has discrete codes for the inputs etc so its not necessary for me to get the same level of control that you're after. Depending on what gear you own there might be an easier way to program the pronto as well.

I just checked out your website...you've got a pretty wife :W

Comment

• siberian
                        • Dec 2004

I think your plan sounds solid. Time to go hunting on eBay. The 2000 seems like a good entry point to get my feet wet.

Not sure if I am going to go with a HTPC or just refactor my old beat up XBox to run the media center hack / mythTV + switching. I'll update the group on that journey once it begins.

Not only is she pretty but she lets me cut holes in the walls to run cable and stick speakers in the ceiling, it's my own little heaven!

Tx for your advice on this, hopefully I'll have a pronto soon and then I can be REALLY annoying.

John-

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"