X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Starting Out - Halo or Halo 2?

Okay, I'm finally a member of the X-Box generation and have a question. Should I play Halo before playing Halo 2? I'm not talking about on-line, just at home for now.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

Yes, I recommend it. Then you can also compare the two. I like the first one better as far as story involvement goes.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Hmmm, I have played both, if you're into the whole storyline aspect and of course have the time, then you should play both. If not, I would go straight to Halo2.

The on-line play is awesome btw, but play the campaign first, you'll need the practice.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Cowanrg
        • Feb 2004

i have the exact same question... mainly because halo is so cheap right now, and im saving every penny saving up for my milling machine :W

does halo still look really great and sound good? if so, i might just stick with the original until i get bored with it.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Cowanrg
          i have the exact same question... mainly because halo is so cheap right now, and im saving every penny saving up for my milling machine :W

does halo still look really great and sound good? if so, i might just stick with the original until i get bored with it.
          No, you definitely wouldn't get bored with the original @ $29.95 U.S., but if you can fork up the extra coins, Halo2 has the enhancements, making it worth the extra bucks, i.e. better sound, extra vehicles, dual weapons yielding, etc. You can always read about the original version, and play the sequel. Your mileage may vary of course.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Yep still looks good and sounds good. You wouldn't be bored with it and you would get an idea of the story.

Play Halo first IMHO.

Comment

• FakerBaker
              • Dec 2004

Both games look, sound, & play incredibly well. The original should keep you occupied for a long time. H2's storyline is not as pure as the original. It feels like a movie sequel in that it tries to take the successful elements of the first & progress further, but it is not necessarily as good as the original. H2, however, has live - a whole new world. If you're not yet ready for online gaming then go with Halo. If the original Halo was live-enabled, I'd never leave the house.

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

Personally, I can't play FPS games on console, I NEED a keyboard. So, I will stick with games like HalfLife. But, isn't Halo 2...just a better game all around? Better grapihics, sounds, movement, ONLINE....so, why would u wanna spend ur time on the outdated version of the game.

I've never played the original, and the 2nd one I wasn't that impressed. I'll stick with my World of Warcraft for gaming needs.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Personally, I can't play FPS games on console, I NEED a keyboard
                  I used to be that way. I'm totally comfortable after playing Halo that I can play any FPS on a console w/o an issue. It's a matter of just teaching yourself how to live w/o a keyboard. the analog sticks work wonderful.
                  But, isn't Halo 2...just a better game all around? Better grapihics, sounds, movement, ONLINE....so, why would u wanna spend ur time on the outdated version of the game.
                  The graphic upgrades are not that much to begin with, the sounds are good, the movements are the same. The better story of Halo makes it a better single player game as not everyone wants to log in and spend their time with 15 yr olds who have a superiority complex. Playing Xbox live can be very frustrating.
                  I've never played the original, and the 2nd one I wasn't that impressed
                  Alot of this could be your keyboard bias. I wasn't impressed either until I got comfortable with Halo's controls and the controller. I took me about 3 or 4 days to get used to it in total.
                  I'll stick with my World of Warcraft for gaming needs
                  I played it in beta. I was bored to tears with it. I ended up with EQ 2 and haven't looked back.

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

Well, I played the original EQ and didn't care for it one bit. I'm not here to say one is better than the other EQ2 / WoW since they are very similar. But how could you have been 'bored' with WoW and LOVE EQ2. I don't understand....

Well, maybe after some practice the analog controls would work, but I still don't think they can replace the accuracy of a mouse and kb. What can I say, I'm an impatient man. If I have to spend a week learning how to play the game, that just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

Well, maybe after some practice the analog controls would work, but I still don't think they can replace the accuracy of a mouse and kb. What can I say, I'm an impatient man. If I have to spend a week learning how to play the game, that just doesn't sound like fun to me.
                      If anything its just training your eyes and fingers as far as hand eye coordination. I was hating it until about 2-3 days of 2 hrs worth of play a day and then it clicked for me. Now I can play both w/o an issue.
                      But how could you have been 'bored' with WoW and LOVE EQ2. I don't understand....
                      Pretty easy really. The quests in WoW were rather pointless and easy and the encounters/raids were nothing to speak of which is where EQ has made its money over time. The sheer depth of EQ and how long its been around has content in its bag. The graphics in WOW were so so but they are more artsy fartsy and EQ's are more glamourish(more realistic to me). The biggest issue is that EQ2's engine was designed for future hardware and to grow. This can be an issue for older pc's. My old PC would easily play WoW w/o breaking a sweat however it woudn't play EQ2 at all. My new pc has no issues with either.

Granted I played EQ for nearly 4 1/2 years so I am used to the way things work in the EQ world. Everything that was wrong with EQ was fixed in EQ2 and made better. The encounters are better but in the end I think they will be whomevers cup of tea because most of the players whom helped develop WoW were high end EQ players for many years. Really I haven't seen one bug in either game.

In the end, both will be a matter of which game do you prefer.

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

So, your comming from a biased opinion, now I can see why your putting down WoW so much... I haven't played EQ2 so I can't compare or make comments, but I have heard it burn up some video cards, not sure if that is rumor or fact. EQ the original was good for its day but now is outdated with the release of EQ2 and WoW.

Just out of curiosity, were you playing a PVP or PvE server? How far did you get in the beta testing, what lvl?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

So, your comming from a biased opinion, now I can see why your putting down WoW so much...
                          Not really. I just know what faults EQ and EQ2 have. I just was bored with WoW. I've played both and chose to stick with EQ2. I'm not putting it down, I just found EQ and EQ2 to be a superior overall product. They should be as they've been out for years. That doesn't mean Wow is a suck game. It surely is not. It just wasn't for me or my friends.
                          I haven't played EQ2 so I can't compare or make comments, but I have heard it burn up some video cards, not sure if that is rumor or fact
                          Rumor at best and a poor one. EQ2 requires better and more updated hardware compared to WoW. As I said I could play WoW on my past highly outdated system but I couldn't play EQ2 on the old system if that tells you anything. Even with myself having some top grade hardware I can't run EQ2 full blast. When you flip the switch, you get a popup that says that this hardware setting is for hardware not currently out, do you wish to continue? Obviously they are thinking ahead and trying to hope that their video quality will remain top notch for several years as I suspect EQ3 which is inevitable won't be around for atleast 5 years or so. They tried to revamp their game engine midstream during an expansion last time but failed IMHO.

Yes the current video settings are over the top but they are that way for a reason as stated.
                          EQ the original was good for its day but now is outdated with the release of EQ2 and WoW.
                          Content wise No. Graphically and gameplay elements, YES. There are plenty of folks still playing OLD EQ and won't switch still. EQ is pretty much dead though as the developers won't make content for it much longer if at all however I don't think Sony will turn folks off and force them to switch. EQ is still very much a cash cow.

That said these 2 releases of EQ2 and WoW are solid products with little to no bugs. It's all a matter of which do you prefer. No fault in that.

I played on a PVP server in beta. I lasted until level 25 when the repetition of the game just got old. I'm finding more variety in EQ2 for me. EQ2 is more complicated in alot of areas but these are nothing compared to what I deal with in terms of EQ.

In no way am I putting WoW down, again its a matter of which game do you prefer. I will say that I've found that alot of folks that didn't get into the MMORPG's until now are getting into WoW and claiming it to be the best thing since sliced bread for their computer. I've played 5-6 of the latest and greatest that have tried to come out and claim their throne as the best so I'm a little more experienced that some folks in these terms. EQ2 isn't for the beginner at all. WOW's interface as far as getting into the game is much easier to start with and go with. Having played EQ for a long time, I found the interface familiar and overall its a much improved version of EQ. All of the flaws of the old game are gone.

I admit I'm somewhat biased but if WoW was a superior game to me I would have switched and so would my friends. I'm not trying to put it down or make it seem inferior because its different strokes for different folks. The better visuals for EQ certainly don't hurt but then again some folks prefer the cartoonish style of WoW. They certainly are rather solid. This is all a matter of preference.

I'm curious is this your first MMORPG to play extensively? I've played several as people often are on the lookout for the next "EQ killer" since EQ was the game to beat for the longest time. City of Heroes put a dent into EQ but not enough to really cause concern. Only with the release of EQ2 and WoW do we now see an exodus of folks headed to the new games. Horizons was thought to be the killer and failed, SWG failed, DAOC failed, and these are just a limited # of releases that came out trying to vie for money that gamers have to spend on a monthly basis.

Since this is hijacking David's discussion, perhaps we should get back to the discussion at hand of Halo or Halo 2? Given the cost I think its a no brainer to pick up Halo and play thru the game(or rent it).

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

Yes we did hi-jack this post. Apologies...if online is not key, than buy the first one used and save urself some money. Then after your done with it, you can buy H2 used as well at a much discounted price.

Funny, the salesperson at the store said EQ had 'cartoonish' graphics. I need to see it for myself.

I bought EQ & WOW at the same time. And these are my first MMORPG. I always thought they were turned based. EQ did nothing for me. EQ2 is a more fair comparison. I might give it a try later on...but I can only mange one MMORPG at a time. Speaking of which anyone wanna buy the EQ platinum from me?

Comment

• Cowanrg
                              • Feb 2004

well, pretty much right after my post i just went on ebay and started looking for halo.

im currently in the process for buying a milling machine and tools for the basement, so id rather put my money elsewhere. :drool: a milling machine gets more mileage for me than ANY video game.

i got it for $23 shipped to me. so, not exactly a waste of money. and if i like it, i can wait until the price on halo2 comes down a bit

for the guy who said "why waste money on an out of date game?" well, its new to me! i dont know what the kids are playing these days. i dont have to keep up with anyone.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                • Sep 2003

Halo? outdated?

its been in the top 10 for software sales for xbox since it launched 3 years ago, no title for any system has even come close to doing that.

I still think its more enjoyable in some ways than its sequel.

If I had to keep and play only one, the original would get my vote everytime.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                                GameTracker -My List-
                                Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• junior77blue
                                  • Nov 2004

What I said, was why waste your time? If you compare games made 3 yrs ago to games made today there have been major advances in the SOFTWARE. The hardware is still excactly the same, but game manufacturers are coding it much more efficiently to get more out of the game. They fix bugs, nuiances, make gameplay more fun. For example....Grand Theft Auto....from the original to vice city and now to San Andreas...each one progressively got better. So, if I never played any of them, I would just play the 3rd one to start out with. But if money is a criteria, then yeah, go buy the original (as you did)...play it through or till you get bored and then make a decision whether to buy the next one or not.

Lets face it, Xbox doesn't have that many good quality games so, i'm not suprised its in the top 10. Fable was supposed to be a #1 game....it was fun for the week or two. Too easy and too short...and I didn't even play it that much.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"