X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

dlp, CRT RP I am confused

Ok, my wife and I have been long talking about finaly upgrading from our 8 year old 32" tube to a 46" rear projection or something to that degree. Based on size approx 44" wide and height 41" I settled on a Toshiba 46H84 and the world was great. Then today we get to looking again and "kicking the tires" and we noticed the DLP's at Best Buy.

I am a bit concerned over some things I have read about the Samsung DLP HL-P4663W in particular but was really impressed with the set and it more than fits the size needs that we have. My question for one is, how long has the DLP technology been around? How realiable is this technology and is it the best Tech. for the money spent? My wife will watch mostly Direct TV and we do love our movies, but unitl I can get a tivo/HD tuner for my dish at a reasonable price I will not be jumping to the HD format.

The Samsung is around $2500-$2900 and figure cables taxes and ect I feel thats enough to spend. So anyway any thoughts on the subject?

Also the Samsung has an input I am not familier with, DVI. What would I connection would I use for the best picture quality from my Direct Tivo and from my Denon 2900?

As always thanks for all your input.

I noticed somone mentioned a Samsung model I have not seen or heard of in another post that is due out this month. 4674 I think. Anyway the 4663 has (according toi their websight) the generation 3 light engion that was mentioned as being the differance on the new one. Any idea on when that model is due and about how much are we talking??

Is CRT a more proven set or a better set or better for the money. I am clueless on TV's as I said mine is 8 years old and I havent paid much attention to TV's in a while.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

I mentioned problems I have heard about with this model. Here is a link:
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Foxman, CRT is the original for rear projection, colors can be lifelike, longevity can be good, repairs always possible.

Newer technologies I think are more disposable I think. Many other technologies miss something that CRT does right. LCD and red colors for example. Rainbow effect from DLP. Their's no perfect solution.

I chose not to go with CRT front projection due to the shere convenience of 6 pound projectors. Have you considered a larger image still yet and front projection?

Regarding the Samsung issues. I'd really prefer it if you'd summarize the issues for us so we don't have to go read everything about it.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

A co-worker and I were looking at the sets at Best Buy a couple weeks ago, including several LCD, DLP, and even a DILA set. The latest round of DLP sets are a lot less prone to rainbows then earlier models. I did my "rainbow test" on several sets at the store and they fared quite well. The picture quality was pretty good on them too, though they aren't quite up to a well calibrated CRT.

That said, if you tend to get headaches due to the color wheels on DLPs, I'd stick with LCD, CRT, or DILA. DILA (LCOS) has most of the advantages of both LCD and DLP without the drawbacks (screen door, rainbows). It's more pricey though.

CRT, being a mature technology, is cheaper, reliable, and provides great picture quality, provided it's tweaked properly. CRT sets often look bad in stores because they're jacked up to 11 and not converged properly. CRT requires a bit more upkeep to maintain the best picture quality but it's worth it overall.

As for reliability issues in the non-CRT sets, the HID lamp used in these sets tend to be a problem area. On the upside, the lamps in RPTV sets are less bright and have a longer lifespan than in front projectors.

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

"Have you considered a larger image still yet and front projection?"

A front projection would be the ultimate...but no way I can swing that due to various issues up to and including the all important WAF.

"CRT, being a mature technology, is cheaper, reliable, and provides great picture quality, provided it's tweaked properly. CRT sets often look bad in stores because they're jacked up to 11 and not converged properly. CRT requires a bit more upkeep to maintain the best picture quality but it's worth it overall."

The more mature tech. is what is swaying me that way, however everything I read suggests the picture quality is better on DLP. I havent been able to spend a lot of time doing A-B comparisons yet, but my wife and I did appreciate a slightly better picture on the Samsung DLP than the Toshiba CRT. That said it is a differance of nearly $1600-1700, advantage CRT. The burnin and convergence issues are a bit of a concern on the CRT though.

"I'd really prefer it if you'd summarize the issues for us so we don't have to go read everything about it."

Well that link is to a real big complaint thread about the Samsung specificaly with regards to issues ranging from a whining noise from the fan to mulitple bulb issues and audio not matching the video like it should. I read every on of these and it is pretty scary stuff.

Thanks for the input guys.
          IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

You can't really go by how a set looks in the store, especially for CRT sets, since they're never adjusted for optimum performance, nor is the store environment the ideal for showcasing a set's capabilities.

The DLP might look better in the store because it's brighter, sharper, and has no convergence issues. The CRT is most likely jacked up to 100% contrast, and the sharpness is likely set too high for an accurate picture. CRT images tend to be softer than LCD/DLP images due to their analog nature, but then so is the film you watch in the cinema.

For $1600 less money, the CRT, once properly calibrated, will look better in your room than any DLP or LCD can hope to. 20 minutes with AVIA or VE to set the user controls properly will get you 75% there. Doing a thorough convergence will get you even closer. If you want to go all the way, $500-600 for a professional calibration by an ISF technician will squeak the last ounce of performance out of your set (you're still looking at $1000 less $ than the DLP). Once you set the convergence initially, you should only need to do minor tweaks to it every few months, unless you move the set.

As for burn-in, as long as you're properly calibrated (meaning the contrast is cranked way down) and you don't keep static images up for extended periods (paused video games), burn-in won't be a problem. CRTs don't have problematic, expensive HID lamps or noisy fans, and most don't use scalers either, which are what lead to the audio sync problems on some DLP and LCD units.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"