X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ktaillon
    • Jun 2004

Minimum Resolution for HDTV

What is the minimum native resolution to play HDTV.

I'm looking at both the 800X600 and 1024X768 units, trying to keep the cost under $1500.00. Suggestions would be great!!!

Also does anyone know where to view projectors in the Connecticut area?
  • chrisg
    • Sep 2004

Well, any resolution projector could in theory play hdtv by scaling the signal down...but it seems like a minimum resolution for good quality with a digital projector would be 720 vertical for a 16x9 system, because that allows you to display a 720P signal without scaling in the vertical direction (the signal is analog in the horizontal direction when hooked up with component inputs).

Originally posted by ktaillon
    What is the minimum native resolution to play HDTV.

I'm looking at both the 800X600 and 1024X768 units, trying to keep the cost under $1500.00. Suggestions would be great!!!

Also does anyone know where to view projectors in the Connecticut area?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I have A 1024 X 768 PROJECTOR ( tHE nec ht1000) and before I bought it I saw it demoed beside an Infocus 7200, which happens to be 1280 x 720. You had to get close to the screen before you could see any really discernible difference. Now I'm sure there will be some detail lacking with a 1024 x 768 PJ, but if your funds are limited you will probably be quite happy with that resolution. I know I am.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

I have the NEC LT150 (also native XGA) and HDTV looks surprisingly good.
        My D-ILA projectors clearly resolve a better HDTV picture (1365 X 1024 resolution). But the tiny LT150 does a reasonably good job with HD (in 1024 X 576, 16:9 mode).

I'm sure that a SVGA (800 X 600) projector would still look very good (in 800 X 450 16:9 mode), and as long as it has a decent scaler chip inside, it should look superior to any DVD picture. But personally if I was planning to watch any real amount of HD material, I'd shell out a little more for a XGA model.

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

IIRC, officially HDTV has two defined resolutions. The lower-res version is 720 x 1280 and the hi-res version is 1080 X 1920 - anything below the 720 point, but above the old standard-def ratio, is considered enhanced definition (EDTV). And, again IIRC there are three defined refresh rates for each HD resolution.
          Last edited by David Meek; 05 October 2004, 13:38 Tuesday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

But the untold story on HDTV-capable displays is that there are many factors that limit the actual resolvable resolution of various displays. Of course fixed-pixel displays like LCD, DLP, LCOS, and plasma are always limited to their native panel resolution, with the internal scaling chips upconverting or downconverting the input to match the projector's panels.

But with CRT displays, from tube TVs to CRT RPTVs and FPTVs there are many other limiting factors that actually reduce the resolvable resolution of HDTV.
            With tube TVs, having a larger pitch in the shadow mask increases the picture brightness, but it reduces the resolvable resolution, and many "HDTV" capable tube TVs actually resolve only around 900 X 600 resolution, also both the lenticular screen and uncalibrated convergence can conspire to limit 7" CRT RPTV resolution to 1000 X 700.

But a key element is that on a tube TV the screen is relatively small, and viewed from say 12' or so, our eyes cannot resolve image data beyond that resolution anyway. So unless you watch your TV from 3 feet away, the specs are less important that just the number alone reveal.

My advise (as usual) is to try and evaluate these displays with your own eyes, showing a variety of material (not just the perfect HDTV images). Because the specs only go so far in revealing the display's true capabilities.

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Dean is one great teacher. I learn more and more from him ( and Jon) every time I read his ( their) post(s). We are so fortunate here at HT Guide to have these fellows hang out and pass on their knowledge.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"